Sign in with
Your question

Seeking advice: $750 - $800 gaming system

Last response: in Systems
April 3, 2012 7:04:25 PM

Hi folks. I haven't built a computer for 4-5 years now, and I'm putting together a system primarily for gaming. I'm trying to come in around $750-$800, not including the monitor, speakers, and mouse/keyboard. I've included the standard info below as well as the parts I'm considering after reading these forums for a bit and doing some research. Please let me know what you think and if there are any tweaks you would suggest. Thanks!

Approximate Purchase Date: in the next couple weeks

Budget Range: $750-$800 Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, Netflix

Parts Not Required: monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon, wherever

Parts Preferences: don't really care, just looking for combo of price and quality

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: native for my monitor is 1600x900

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: The prices I have listed INCLUDE SHIPPING. Please take that into account when reading and when suggesting alternatives. Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 - $190

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - $130

Memory: GSkill Ripjaws Series 8GB - $47

HD: Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 500GB - $92 (I already have a large external storage drive)
*changed based on feedback from azeem40

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 - $160

Case: Torn between Antec 300 ($65) and Antec 900 ($113) but open to suggestions

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W Modular - $80

Total: $764 - $812 depending on the case
April 3, 2012 7:09:48 PM

azeem40 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $2 more for 2x the storage.

Thanks for the reply. The only reason I didn't go with that one was that it is 3.0Gb/s while the one I chose is 6. Does the extra 3 Gb/s really help or would I benefit more from the extra storage? I do have a large-ish external drive.
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
April 3, 2012 7:14:36 PM

Nope, only Solid-State Drives use SATA 6GB/s.
m
l
April 3, 2012 7:22:47 PM

azeem40 said:
Nope, only Solid-State Drives use SATA 6GB/s.

Thanks. Changed to your recommendation in the original post.
m
l
April 4, 2012 1:19:52 AM

I promise to only bump this once. Does anyone else have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
m
l
!