Best Way to make Registery changes in XP Professional?

What is the best way to make registery tweaks in XP Professional?
1) Tweak UI 2.10
2) Group Policy Editor
3) Manual Edits

I have 3 computers but time is not the big issue, just safest and easiest.
In essence do all methods do the same thing (ie: I know manual and Tweak UI
make changes in the HKCU tree, does GPE do the same thing only with a more
detailed interface?)

Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

Copied and pasted to your post in microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
In case you do not get back there.

Yes. In the order that you had listed. Not everything that doesTweakUI is
in HKCU, some is in HKLM.

All of Ch 5 is included!!
Microsoft® Windows® XP Registry Guide
Chapter 5: Mapping Tweak UI
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/6232.asp

Don't miss the blue Next link at the bottom of the page! That link is the
equivelant of a 23 page Word doc.

Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

---
Good listing of what gpedit.msc does where in the registry here >>>
Group Policy Registry Table
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

Some more info >>>

Managing Users and Desktops by Using Group Policy Extensions
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prda_dcm_uskn.asp

About the Windows Registry
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/gloss_reg.asp

++++

If you're gonna be mucking about in the registry.
Get...

NTREGOPT NT Registry Optimizer
ERUNT The Emergency Recovery Utility NT
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

ERUNT [[Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to
make
a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole
registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is
saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the current
registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is
merged with the current registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of
old and new registry keys.]]
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.txt

NTREGOPT [[Similar to Windows 9x/Me, the registry files in an NT-based
system
can become fragmented over time, occupying more space on your hard
disk than necessary and decreasing overall performance. You should
use the NTREGOPT utility regularly, but especially after installing
or uninstalling a program, to minimize the size of the registry files
and optimize registry access.

The program works by recreating each registry hive "from scratch",
thus removing any slack space that may be left from previously
modified or deleted keys.

Note that the program does NOT change the contents of the registry in
any way, nor does it physically defrag the registry files on the drive
(as the PageDefrag program from SysInternals does). The optimization
done by NTREGOPT is simply compacting the registry hives to the
minimum size possible.]]
http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/ntregopt.txt

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:FD884D83-4FD8-4E9F-9E6A-E34390B09779@microsoft.com,
Lexus <Lexus@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

In news:F16FEFFC-B72A-43D6-B9DC-76ED58C35316@microsoft.com,
Lexus <Lexus@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> What is the best way to make registery tweaks in XP Professional?
> 1) Tweak UI 2.10
> 2) Group Policy Editor
> 3) Manual Edits
>
> I have 3 computers but time is not the big issue, just safest and
> easiest. In essence do all methods do the same thing (ie: I know
> manual and Tweak UI make changes in the HKCU tree, does GPE do the
> same thing only with a more detailed interface?)
>
> Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

Hi

The safest way to alter the Registry is via the applets in Control Panel.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Lexus" <Lexus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What is the best way to make registery tweaks in XP Professional?
> 1) Tweak UI 2.10
> 2) Group Policy Editor
> 3) Manual Edits
>
> I have 3 computers but time is not the big issue, just safest and easiest.
> In essence do all methods do the same thing (ie: I know manual and Tweak
> UI
> make changes in the HKCU tree, does GPE do the same thing only with a more
> detailed interface?)
>
> Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

Denny,
thanks but I need to take care of more than what the Control Panel has to
offer so, of the 3 methods I gave, which do you prefer?
thanks

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> The safest way to alter the Registry is via the applets in Control Panel.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Lexus" <Lexus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > What is the best way to make registery tweaks in XP Professional?
> > 1) Tweak UI 2.10
> > 2) Group Policy Editor
> > 3) Manual Edits
> >
> > I have 3 computers but time is not the big issue, just safest and easiest.
> > In essence do all methods do the same thing (ie: I know manual and Tweak
> > UI
> > make changes in the HKCU tree, does GPE do the same thing only with a more
> > detailed interface?)
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

Hi

Depends on exactly what you want to do. If you know what and where to edit
in the Registry, the most can be accomplished by manual edits.

--

> Denny,
> thanks but I need to take care of more than what the Control Panel has to
> offer so, of the 3 methods I gave, which do you prefer?
> thanks
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> The safest way to alter the Registry is via the applets in Control Panel.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Lexus" <Lexus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > What is the best way to make registery tweaks in XP Professional?
>> > 1) Tweak UI 2.10
>> > 2) Group Policy Editor
>> > 3) Manual Edits
>> >
>> > I have 3 computers but time is not the big issue, just safest and
>> > easiest.
>> > In essence do all methods do the same thing (ie: I know manual and
>> > Tweak
>> > UI
>> > make changes in the HKCU tree, does GPE do the same thing only with a
>> > more
>> > detailed interface?)
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

I'm having lots of luck with a program called RegSeeker (a free download).
Works very well. Searches for anything, displays all startups with one
click (hklm-run, hcu-run, startup folder... and more), powerful cleaner and
makes a backup of everything done, therefore can be undone.

It also includes its own tweak.. has many settings and enhancements for your
system. Simple to use right off the bat.

kelly

Manually.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"Lexus" <Lexus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What is the best way to make registery tweaks in XP Professional?
> 1) Tweak UI 2.10
> 2) Group Policy Editor
> 3) Manual Edits
>
> I have 3 computers but time is not the big issue, just safest and easiest.
> In essence do all methods do the same thing (ie: I know manual and Tweak
> UI
> make changes in the HKCU tree, does GPE do the same thing only with a more
> detailed interface?)
>
> Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

Hi Kelly,

On the other hand...
[[I have created over 600 registry edits and vb scripts for improving,
enhancing, modifying and customizing Windows XP. They are now available for
download in one zip file. ]]
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/tweak_downloads.htm

;-) Manually is certainly the way to learn one's way around the
registry. But seeing what some of the auto edits do and where they do it
certainly helps also. I've been sneaking peeks at your reg and vbs files
for quite a while.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:uBH9zOyuEHA.444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Manually.
>

> "Lexus" <Lexus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What is the best way to make registery tweaks in XP Professional?
>> 1) Tweak UI 2.10
>> 2) Group Policy Editor
>> 3) Manual Edits
>>
>> I have 3 computers but time is not the big issue, just safest and
>> easiest. In essence do all methods do the same thing (ie: I know
>> manual and Tweak UI
>> make changes in the HKCU tree, does GPE do the same thing only with
>> a more detailed interface?)
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

kelly

Hi Wes,

Didn't know that. <w> Making manual edits within the registry is quick and
sweet. For those who are squeamish, I created the edits/scripts to do it
for them. Back in the day, I would list the manual step by step way to do
it, but they didn't want that. They wanted the quick fix! Wonder if this
started with microwaves. :eek:)

--

> Hi Kelly,
>
> On the other hand...
> [[I have created over 600 registry edits and vb scripts for improving,
> enhancing, modifying and customizing Windows XP. They are now available
> for
> download in one zip file. ]]
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/tweak_downloads.htm
>
> ;-) Manually is certainly the way to learn one's way around the
> registry. But seeing what some of the auto edits do and where they do it
> certainly helps also. I've been sneaking peeks at your reg and vbs files
> for quite a while.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:uBH9zOyuEHA.444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Manually.
>>

>> "Lexus" <Lexus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> What is the best way to make registery tweaks in XP Professional?
>>> 1) Tweak UI 2.10
>>> 2) Group Policy Editor
>>> 3) Manual Edits
>>>
>>> I have 3 computers but time is not the big issue, just safest and
>>> easiest. In essence do all methods do the same thing (ie: I know
>>> manual and Tweak UI
>>> make changes in the HKCU tree, does GPE do the same thing only with
>>> a more detailed interface?)
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

Howdy Kelly,

Nah, setting the time on a VCR. Just ask my Dad. *vbg*

<flashing 12:00 here>

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:OiqPbc%23uEHA.1616@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Wes,
>
> Didn't know that. <w> Making manual edits within the registry is
> quick and sweet. For those who are squeamish, I created the
> edits/scripts to do it for them. Back in the day, I would list the
> manual step by step way to do it, but they didn't want that. They
> wanted the quick fix! Wonder if this started with microwaves. :eek:)

>> Hi Kelly,
>>
>> On the other hand...
>> [[I have created over 600 registry edits and vb scripts for
>> improving, enhancing, modifying and customizing Windows XP. They
>> are now available for
>> download in one zip file. ]]
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/tweak_downloads.htm
>>
>> ;-) Manually is certainly the way to learn one's way around the
>> registry. But seeing what some of the auto edits do and where they
>> do it certainly helps also. I've been sneaking peeks at your reg
>> and vbs files for quite a while.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:uBH9zOyuEHA.444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> Manually.
>>>

>>> "Lexus" <Lexus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

DarkKnight

as others have said it depends on what you are doing.

However, as you state you have 3 computers, if you are trying to do the
same mod on all computers it would probably be best to do it manually on
the first computer then export the mods you have done to a *.reg file
and save on a floppy then on your other computers just doubleclick this
file to make the changes

Lexus wrote:
> What is the best way to make registery tweaks in XP Professional?
> 1) Tweak UI 2.10
> 2) Group Policy Editor
> 3) Manual Edits
>
> I have 3 computers but time is not the big issue, just safest and easiest.
> In essence do all methods do the same thing (ie: I know manual and Tweak UI
> make changes in the HKCU tree, does GPE do the same thing only with a more
> detailed interface?)
>
> Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

Flashes --:-- here.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23432azCvEHA.568@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Howdy Kelly,
>
> Nah, setting the time on a VCR. Just ask my Dad. *vbg*
>
> <flashing 12:00 here>
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:OiqPbc%23uEHA.1616@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi Wes,
>>
>> Didn't know that. <w> Making manual edits within the registry is
>> quick and sweet. For those who are squeamish, I created the
>> edits/scripts to do it for them. Back in the day, I would list the
>> manual step by step way to do it, but they didn't want that. They
>> wanted the quick fix! Wonder if this started with microwaves. :eek:)

>>> Hi Kelly,
>>>
>>> On the other hand...
>>> [[I have created over 600 registry edits and vb scripts for
>>> improving, enhancing, modifying and customizing Windows XP. They
>>> are now available for
>>> download in one zip file. ]]
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/tweak_downloads.htm
>>>
>>> ;-) Manually is certainly the way to learn one's way around the
>>> registry. But seeing what some of the auto edits do and where they
>>> do it certainly helps also. I've been sneaking peeks at your reg
>>> and vbs files for quite a while.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>> Wes
>>>
>>> In news:uBH9zOyuEHA.444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>>> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:

Must be the time difference, David. <LOL>

You've been away awhile, eh?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:O9nUb5CvEHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
David Candy <david@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:

<LOL-LOL>

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

> Howdy Kelly,
>
> Nah, setting the time on a VCR. Just ask my Dad. *vbg*
>
> <flashing 12:00 here>
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:OiqPbc%23uEHA.1616@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi Wes,
>>
>> Didn't know that. <w> Making manual edits within the registry is
>> quick and sweet. For those who are squeamish, I created the
>> edits/scripts to do it for them. Back in the day, I would list the
>> manual step by step way to do it, but they didn't want that. They
>> wanted the quick fix! Wonder if this started with microwaves. :eek:)

>>> Hi Kelly,
>>>
>>> On the other hand...
>>> [[I have created over 600 registry edits and vb scripts for
>>> improving, enhancing, modifying and customizing Windows XP. They
>>> are now available for
>>> download in one zip file. ]]
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/tweak_downloads.htm
>>>
>>> ;-) Manually is certainly the way to learn one's way around the
>>> registry. But seeing what some of the auto edits do and where they
>>> do it certainly helps also. I've been sneaking peeks at your reg
>>> and vbs files for quite a while.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>> Wes
>>>
>>> In news:uBH9zOyuEHA.444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>>> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:

kelly

Too funny! But then, David's cat may have something to do with that.
Inside story. :eek:)

--

> Must be the time difference, David. <LOL>
>
> You've been away awhile, eh?
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:O9nUb5CvEHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> David Candy <david@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Flashes --:-- here.
>>
>>> Howdy Kelly,
>>>
>>> Nah, setting the time on a VCR. Just ask my Dad. *vbg*
>>>
>>> <flashing 12:00 here>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>> Wes
>>>
>>> In news:OiqPbc%23uEHA.1616@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>>> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:

Can David's cat set the time? My dad has to find a five year old. :eek:)

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch
a child of five."
Groucho Marx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:u454a1KvEHA.2536@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Too funny! But then, David's cat may have something to do with that.
> Inside story. :eek:)

>> Must be the time difference, David. <LOL>
>>
>> You've been away awhile, eh?
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:O9nUb5CvEHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> David Candy <david@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> Flashes --:-- here.

It's not my cat, it just sleeps with me in winter (which means it will be six months till I see it again (apart from outside)).

He's tried to set the time on the computer but he's spelling isn't good enough. He's tried to fix the video but the VCR remote has dead batteries after my wireless mouse stopped working and had to swap batteries.

But worse are the two wierd breeds across the road (and there's also Milo a ginger tom and another ginger that a kitten and newish to the street and I haven't seen it enough to win it's trust so I don't know it's name) who I can't read their names on their collars without glasses. Early this year when still kittens I heard a man screaming in terror outside. So I went and stuck my head out the window to see what was happening. These two cats had him bailed up and where circling him like lions. I was a bit puzzled as to why he was scared (they were kittens and are friendly to humans) then saw he had a silkie terrier in his arms. Another time Milo had his face ripped open which took 3 months for his face to look normal. I also broke up a cat fight last week between the new ginger and one of the wierd cats.

Unusually for sydney there are no dogs in this street. I'm also a dog lover.

http://www.uscricket.com