rafaeshahid_39

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I accidentally switched the voltage switch at the back of my cpu from 230v to 115v and the PSU blew up with a little bit of smoke coming out. Thankfully the PC was off at the time and im worried sick about the other components. I opened up the side panel to check for physical evidence and i could see no marks, burns or anything, no smells either. Im still worried whether the hardware (mobo, graphic card, processor, harddrive etc) are fine. The PC was off and i didnt try anything else with it in fear of causing further damage and whether there are failsafes to prevent any continuing damage. My rig is:

Intel i3 3.2 ghz
Intel Motherboard DH55HC
Corsair 2gb 1333mhz Value select (x2)
XFX HD4870 1gb

Please help!

Solution
Since it was off you will be fine, the input and output are isolated so you can pump a ton of voltage into the input and not damage the output.

You also likely blew something other than the fuse since that blows due to high current, flipping the switch doubled the voltage so you likely cooked the rectifying bridge and the +5VSB source.

I wouldn't try to repair a PSU, it isn't worth it, I also wouldn't try to repair a cooler master extreme power PSU since it isn't very good to start with, just get a new one shoot for one with APFC this time around so you don't have to worry about the voltage switch.
"little bit of smoke"

That is plenty to worry about. If anything was damaged inside of the PSU, than it can damage something else.

I would be worried about the other components too. I would get another PSU.

You wouldn't be the first one who lost the system due to damaged power supply.

And for piece of mind.

rafaeshahid_39

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Yeah after the plethora of material ive read online and talking to my computer guy turns out the PC being off was the saving grace for the rest of the hardware. Even the PSU's repairable. Smoke was the fuse being blown.

rafaeshahid_39

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Yeah if its running and this happens then thats asta la vista.

Lets see hopefully it turns out well. or thats 530$ down the toilet.

Since it was off you will be fine, the input and output are isolated so you can pump a ton of voltage into the input and not damage the output.

You also likely blew something other than the fuse since that blows due to high current, flipping the switch doubled the voltage so you likely cooked the rectifying bridge and the +5VSB source.

I wouldn't try to repair a PSU, it isn't worth it, I also wouldn't try to repair a cooler master extreme power PSU since it isn't very good to start with, just get a new one shoot for one with APFC this time around so you don't have to worry about the voltage switch.

Solution

rafaeshahid_39

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Solved! I got my PSU repaired for around $10 from Cooler Master and voila all is good, updated my BIOS and removed the 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate for the 64-bit version and its running smoothly. Thankyou for your responses they were really helpful.