ATI Radeon HD 5770 Cooling Problems

lateralus01

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm having problems cooling my ATI Radeon HD 5770 and I think it's because the case is inadequately cooled because for some f*cked up reason my case only has one fan even though it was advertised as a gaming PC. Anyway I used Linux to crank the case fan up to max speed (4500rpm) and the GPU fan to 95% and then stressed the GPU at only 60%. Then I watch the temperature climb to 100C before I shut it down.

Here's a picture of the inside of my case:
http://i.imgur.com/rlXx3.jpg

If I put my hand under the card I can feel it blowing out warm air but it's not super hot which makes me think perhaps the stalk cooler is defective. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could improve the cooling on this case or does anyone know of a good aftermarket cooler for the hd 5770?

Thanks,
Mark

Try getting some compressed air and blowing the crap out of your gpu. Poor ventilation could be the culprit but you will want to be sure it isnt a dirty heat sink or something easy and cheap before buying a new case.
Also try operating it with the side of the case off. If your problem completely goes away then ventilation is the issue. If not then you know Theres an issue with the card itself then you can blow some compressed air in there and.maybe even try reapplying thermal compound

lateralus01

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

still overheats with the side off

Also in that picture it looks like op has a mount for a front intake fan.which.would be a good idea to install as well as try and get rid of that worthless cone on your cpu heatsink if its doable.
With a front intake and that side vent you should have plenty of flow.over your system