Someone lend a hand please... Desperate

Status
Not open for further replies.

circulate

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Hey guys I've posted recently about this but wanted to start a new thread.

Problem: Playing game (world of warcraft in this instance) and I will lag (my character will get stuck in whatever animation i was doing at the time, I can still run around, but I'm obviously lagging, And im sure to everyone else around me, my character is probably running in place) Which is something I see sometimes around me from players with bad computers or crappy internet.

WELL, I've replaced my modem, replaced my coaxial cables, I'm hardwired in, I bought a seprate network card, I've even bought a new hard drive and reinstalled windows, all programs, drivers etc, I've done ping tests, in which sometimes come back with 20-30MBPS internet with 20-30ping and 0% packet loss, and other times I get 3% packetloss (which is concerning right?) Well I spoke with the ISP and they said they see nothing, they came out and looked, saw nothing, ran tests, saw nothing, said it's not them, that my internet speeds and ping are good, and that's all they can tell me.

All of my gear is good, no reason I should be lagging. Let me also mention sometimes when I lag, i snap out of it and everything around me fast forwards kind of like to catch up to real time, or i disconnect from the game.

I don't know what else I can possibly do.

Is the 3% packet loss that I saw once a possibility of this? I only lag every once in a while, once every 30 mins or sometimes once every 10 mins or once every 3 hours.

What else could it possibly be? what other solutions do I have to try??? Can't i run some sort of diagnostic test, play the game, then have it spike or do whatever it's doing then look at my recorder and see exactly what happened?

Anyone have anything to say :( sorry for the novel. Wanted to cover all basis.

CPU: i5 2500k
RAM: 8gigs ddr3 gskill 2133
GPU: MSI Twin Forzr gtx 560ti
hyper 212 cooling
750w antec psu

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
It could be nothing to do with your internet or computer.
there are many hops or servers game data has to pass through until it reached the final destination. (it could break down along this path)

some of the time it can be caused by people who are using a budget ISP, who only care about the $$$
you experience slow speeds, ping and often packet loss.

small amounts of packet loss dosnt really effect web browsing but can cause issues gaming.

have you tried your PC on someone else's internet to rule that out?
I had something simmular, my isp was no help so i switched to another ISP and the problem dissapeared

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Not really sure if this is the right place for this thread. Can you post your system hardware for the good folks here to help you out. Also, wow shows you your in game FPS. What is your FPS before, during and after this happens. I have played more wow than I like to admit to so I am quite familiar with what you are explaining. The lag you are describing is network lag as opposed to low fps which causes the screen to move very slowly. I have had it happen numerous times and it usually ended up with a disconnect from battle.net. I don't think what you are describing is a hardware problem. WOW is very problematic. The majority of the time it was on my laptop using my blackberry tethered to it for an internet connection.

**edit**

I posted while you were editing./

circulate

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
@hugostiglitz changing to centurylink from cox communication internet will be my last step to try if i can't get another solution.

Is there any test I can run or recording program maybe?

Anything else we might be able to try??

I would say having 3% packet loss sometimes could cause things like this. you aren't always measuring the packets and even if any are lost is bad.

probably due to sharing lines with neighbors to your isp. your system should have no problem keeping up with an internet connection. I wouldn't have a clue how you would be able to fix it unless you try other isps.

circulate

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
@alrobichaud

My fps are strait 60fps the whole time. When I snap back to reality it lowers to like 18 because there is a blur of animation (due to the gpu having to show everythign that happened on the screen while it was lagging in place)

circulate

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
@FlintIronStagg

I will try other servers tonight and see if it happens (sucha pain to do because I basically just have to play for an hour or so to see if itll happen lol) thanks for the input.

circulate

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
@esrever

Thank you, I agree 1% IS BAD. And normally it's 0% but that one time i did it i got 3 and i thought BAM i found something, i tested during a time in which if i were in game I would have lagged. I might have to try another ISP if someone else can't tell me hwo to record packet loss or something

Go to command prompt and enter 'ping' followed by the ip address for the game. Also run http://www.speedtest.net/ and http://pingtest.net/ to see if anything is wrong. Be sure to post all results here.
Do you have a router? If so then what brand and model?
Do you have DSL, optical, or cable? What type of modem?

Most likely it is a network issue, not a computer issue. Reset all routers, switches, and modems back to factory defaults, and then set them up again. Retest and then repost if there are any major changes.

circulate

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
@caedenv

I've done that, 5 times or more, the normal result on the ping/speedtest is 20-25MBPS 20-30ping/ms 0% packetloss, but that one time I tested at 3% packetloss I think i got lucky to see that. I've even bought new modem and network card, so resetting to factory default was done when i bought a new modem ha ha. It's cable, ran off coaxial cables (new ones I bought to see if it that was the issue) model of modem before was some crap back I bought the tried and true surfboard sb5101, no router

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Try this. I have been working for the local cable company as a service tech for the last 11 years. I am well aware of lazy techs who go to your house on a service call and check the basics then leave with the customer no closer to an answer but I hope your tech was good. These are a few things you can check to be sure. If you have the motorola surfboard 5101, type 192.168.100.1 in the address bar of your browser. It's been a while but click on the link for the signal. Look for snr ratio, transmit,receive. Transmit and receive may show as upstream and downstream. A good signal to noise ratio is above 35dB. Once you start approaching 25dB you have fallen below what the ISP plant minimum spec is and the internet starts acting funny. The transmit for that modem needs to be above 35dBmV and below 55dBmV accrording to Motorola specs which is the same as most other modem types. Your isp aims for 40-50 to keep away from the upper and lower threshold. The receive will work from -15dBmV to +15dBmV. Anywhere close to the upper and lower threshold will result in undesirable effects. Another thing to look for is the number of t3 timeouts but that is usually only available from the isp since they have special tools to read it. Some of the newest modems such as Motorola's D3 wireless modem show this in the diagnostic screen. A t3 timeout is when the modem sends a ranging request to the cmts and does not receive a response so it resets its interface and starts over momentarily disconnecting your service. This is the most overlooked thing in cable modem troubleshooting as it delves into the area of the plant maintenance tech since it is almost always caused by noise in the cable system. I would definately ask how many t3 timeouts your modem has had since I has been online. For example, I have a fiber connection from the l.ocal cable company at 40Mb/s and I have had 4 t3 timeouts in 6 days. I was at service call yesterday where the customer has had 700 in 3 days and his signal to noise was at 23dB. This guy has been visited by service techs 4 times before this was looked into. It was overlooked because no one else on his street had complained but he was the only one who worked as a network tech for a local company from home. Having said that, I did some thinking last night and most of the time, back in the dark days of wow, it happend to me when in a dungeon group. Is that when you most experience this? I found that if someone else had a bad connection it ripple down to the rest of the party.

Well, that should be plenty fast, and the occasional 3% loss is not going to hurt anything. What alrobichaud described of things resetting would really screw up your game, or if you are on a shared cable line with your negibors, then things can get funny when everyone is on at the same time. Outside of that I think it is becoming more and more clear that it is a problem with the WoW servers, or the players you are playing with... and there isn't much that can be done about that.

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

I agree. It is more than likely just wow. I have had so many issues with stuff like that in that game and there is nothing wrong with my connection or my rig. It was so bad for a while that I could not go through a random dungeon without at least one random disconnect and that is reflected by every player that I have talked to in wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.