I've been visiting the forums and Tom's Hardware since early last year. I decided last year that it would be fun and also a good experience to build my first PC. I spent hours researching and learning how to build a PC and which parts to buy. I have had issues with my computer since I built it. Before I get ahead of myself, let me post the parts that I have:
Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion
Mobo: Asus P8P67 Rev 3.0
CPU: Intel i5 2500k
GPU: Gigabyte 560ti
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB x2
Hard drive: HITACHI HDS721050CLA362 (0F10381) 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
SSD: Intel 320 Series 160GB (primary drive)
PSU: Not sure what's in there. I've had the same issues with 3 different PSUs though, so I'm pretty sure this isn't the problem. I had SeaSonic X750 Gold at first.
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212
Wireless Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N180PCe Wireless Adapter and then Medialink - Wireless N USB Adapter - 802.11n - 150Mbps
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium
1. My internet speed slows or stops at random when connected wirelessly with the Rosewill PCI wireless card. I switched to the Medialink USB adapter and I don't lose my connection, but the wireless internet is still extremely slow. I get 5 Mbps minimum on my laptop, and I get 1 Mbps maximum with either wireless solution. The internet runs fine with a cabeled connection (25 Mbps or so).
2. One of my USB wireless mice stutters randomly. The pointer freezes for a short time and then moves again. Sometimes when this happens for a longer period of time and the computer will not respond. I switched to a Microsoft USB mouse and had no issues. The previously mentioned mouse has no issues on 4 different computers.
3. My USB web cam has caused the computer to stop responding completely until it was unplugged.
4. I have had 2 failed SSDs now. I have a new one that just came in from RMA, but I don't dare use it until I change something.
5. UEFI has issues finding both of my drives at times.
All of these issues led me to believe that my motherboard must be having issues. I figured that my SATA ports were bad, my USB ports were bad, and at least the PCI slot where the wireless card was plugged in is bad. I called Asus about half an hour ago and said they could find no problems. They said they will be sending back the original board if they don't find anything. I am completely out of ideas for how to resolve the above issues.
Does anybody have any ideas for why I'm having issues? All drivers and the MOBO bios are up to date. I have also run Windows off of the HDD rather than the SSD and I have the same issues. The MOBO is using default settings. Finally, I have used 3 different PSUs to figure out if it was a power problem. Please help
I will try to clear the CMOS when the motherboard comes back in. The current BIOS is P8P67 BIOS 2303, though I had issues with P8P67 BIOS 2103. I'm not sure if P8P67 2001 BIOS was stable for me or not, since I didn't have my PC together long before 2103 came out.