Sign in with
Your question

Random crashes, BSODs, bleeps when turning on... Help!

Last response: in Systems
April 3, 2012 9:05:01 PM

Hi,

We bought all the parts for a computer a few months ago. The original PSU was extremely loud so we sent it back for a more reputable one, a corsair, amazingly this blew in the computer (pop noise and some smoke). We sent it back and got a replacement. Ever since then the computer has been plagued by problems:
- Blue screens more than once a week.
- Sometimes the screen will freeze (but the mouse cursor can still be moved, strangely).
- On start up it originally always made a bleeping noise, the noise varied in pattern for the first few months, then became a constant bleep, but has now become more rare. We thought this was probably related to the RAM. we have tried removing one stick and removing and reinserting the RAM but to no avail.
- Other than these problems there are no noticeable problems.

We've become really exasperated by those problems and would very much appreciate some help. How likely is it that we have a faulty motherboard or that it was damaged by the initial PSU problems? I had initially changed the computer's RAM settings to match the specifications of the RAM, is there something I may have missed? There is an option in BIOS to restore it to 'fail-safe' settings, might this help?

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3
G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 Socket 1155 7.1 Channel Audo ATX Motherboard
Coolermaster CM690 II
Corsair TX750w
Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4 2TB Hard Drive SATA 5400RPM 32MB Cache - OEM
Gigabyte GTX 560Ti OC 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI PCI-E Graphics card
LiteOn IHAS122 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black
Corsair 60GB Force 3 SSD - 2.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s - Read 550MB/s Write 490MB/
Windows 7 x64
a b B Homebuilt system
April 3, 2012 9:07:56 PM

That Pop noise may have fried your components. Did you physically check the mobo for any blown components? But, if I had one guess, I would put my money on a fried mobo.
April 3, 2012 9:13:10 PM

Thanks gary. We've had a close look at the motherboard and there is nothing that is visibly damaged. How could we check this? Surely a fried mobo would not work at all?
Related resources
April 5, 2012 1:46:37 PM

I've managed to get some photos of the blue screen crash, sometimes it warns of a 'volmgrx.sys' error and sometimes 'Ntfs.sys' instead.
April 5, 2012 3:03:36 PM

It actually sounds like a hard drive issue to me, "NTFS.sys", Would you be able to post the pictures of the actual error message? :) 

April 5, 2012 4:53:12 PM

The pop could have been in the PSU itself, I have rarely seen a mobo pop a capacitor and smoke they are so small compared to the ones in the PSU...

Now I have seen PSU's blow capacitors and blow smoke everywhere.

Those errors you posted can be related to a corrupt disk volume.

I would venture to say the motherboard could be damaged, If you saw alot of smoke your PSU could not be functioning correctly, You said you didnt notice and leaking or blown capacitors on the mother... Never the less when a PSU goes it can damage everything...

I would start with a new PSU and go from there
!