Can i take the linux hard drive out of one computer and put it in another

Hello,
can i move my Linux hard drive out of my dell 2300 and put it in my dell 4550.
the only difference i can see in them is 4550 has a micro processor and the 2300 dont. both cpus are about same speed.
2 answers Last reply
More about linux hard drive computer another
  1. Every functional computer has a microprocessor, the two terms "processor" and "microprocessor" are synonymous in today's computing. They are micro compared to the 50s when a computer had less computing power than a digital wristwatch and took a building the size of a warehouse to fit it into.

Now to answer your question, the answer is "probably". The only way to know is to try. I was able to boot off an old drive that had Ubuntu on it I had from a Dell 8200 on my new rig, and extract files from it to my SATA drives.
  2. sonic6765 said:
    Hello,
    can i move my Linux hard drive out of my dell 2300 and put it in my dell 4550.
    the only difference i can see in them is 4550 has a micro processor and the 2300 dont. both cpus are about same speed.

Do you mean to boot from the drive as it is? I have done this myself a few times. The only problem I can see is if you have a different graphics card manufacturer - I mean NVidia or Radeon as they use different drivers

If it does not work, it will not hurt the hard drive. You can always re-install Ubuntu on it on the new computer.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Linux Dell Hard Drives Systems