Bottle neck help please!

Hi!

I'm planning to purchase a graphics card for my existing build. I was eyeing on the HD radeon 6950. I'm not planning to overclock though, just play it all on stock settings. Current specs:

AMD Athlon X3 450 @3.0 GHZ
4G RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate
PSU HEC Rapter 500W

I've seen one video in youtube running an AMD athlon just with a higher clock rate than what I have and a combination of HD 6950 and a cooolmaster 500W PSU. Though I haven't seen it playing an actual game just a video showing a 5 minute benchmark.

I was wondering if this combination would bottleneck If i decide to go with an HD6950.

Thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about bottle neck please
  1. Depends on what resolution and IQ settings you intend to use. On low IQ settings and resolutions up to 1680x1050, you CPU may be the limitting factor for CPU-intensive games. At higher resolutions, IQ settings or graphically intensive games, your CPU will probabily be fine. 4GB ram is usually enough for gaming.
  2. I don't think it's a good idea, I think before buying an HD 6950, buy a new PSU first and then buy AMD Phenom II X4 processor (AM3 socket, should work with yours :) ), then you don't worry of bottlenecks :). Good Luck :).
  3. Thanks for the input guys! I've been reading a couple of articles to check out compatibility issues here at:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bottleneck,2737.html

I read that the HD 6950 draws a maximum of 200W on full load and I have on HDD and a Optical Disk Drive and just two 120 mm fans. I just wanted to play BF3 for an acceptable settings. But it looks like a have to scout for a lower graphics card if my current GPU and PSU won't be able to take it.

Any recommendations for a lower graphics card with my current build? Would a 6870 or 6850 suffice?
  4. CarreoJ said:
    Thanks for the input guys! I've been reading a couple of articles to check out compatibility issues here at:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bottleneck,2737.html

I read that the HD 6950 draws a maximum of 200W on full load and I have on HDD and a Optical Disk Drive and just two 120 mm fans. I just wanted to play BF3 for an acceptable settings. But it looks like a have to scout for a lower graphics card if my current GPU and PSU won't be able to take it.

Any recommendations for a lower graphics card with my current build? Would a 6870 or 6850 suffice?

I have just purchased a Gigabyte 6850 and it works sweet!! I haven't OCed it yet, and to be honest, i don't see the neccesity for doing it, but if you google for this GPU reviews you will see how easy this card match a 6870 (around 25-30% + perfomance!) which is great cuz the 6870 is not well known for its overclocking capacity.
    Bottom line, if i were you, i would go for a 6850 and start saving for a certified PSU...

My PC specs:
    Core i5 2500K
    Gigabyte 6850 (saving for a Xfire with this one hehe)
    Amd Ram 1600 8Gb
    Case Sentey Arvina G6400
    PSU Sentey 650 80plus
  5. 6850 should do well... But for BF3 1080p I guess you need something more powerful.
  6. UltimateLord said:
    I have just purchased a Gigabyte 6850 and it works sweet!! I haven't OCed it yet, and to be honest, i don't see the neccesity for doing it, but if you google for this GPU reviews you will see how easy this card match a 6870 (around 25-30% + perfomance!) which is great cuz the 6870 is not well known for its overclocking capacity.
    Bottom line, if i were you, i would go for a 6850 and start saving for a certified PSU...

My PC specs:
    Core i5 2500K
    Gigabyte 6850 (saving for a Xfire with this one hehe)
    Amd Ram 1600 8Gb
    Case Sentey Arvina G6400
    PSU Sentey 650 80plus

Thanks! I think I'll go with a 6850...read a lot of stuff about it as well. Yea, your right! I'ma start investing in a good PSU, since I'm also planning on doing a Crossfire set up anytime soon...

Thanks for the input! You guys rule!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics