Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Command Prompt not appearing

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
January 14, 2010 2:50:11 AM

When trying to open a CMD prompt it does not appear, even when run as Administrator. When checking in Windows Task Manager it appears in the list of Processes but in list of Applications. HELP!
a b $ Windows 7
January 14, 2010 3:50:37 AM

Click on Start, wait for all programs to show, then click on Accessories to find it.
Score
0
a c 209 $ Windows 7
January 14, 2010 4:56:57 AM

Are you saying that you can't find the item in the Start Menu to open the window, or that you clicked on the Start Menu item and yet the window didn't appear?

For the former, you can follow Jonmor's instructions, or you can type "cmd" into the Start -> Search box.

If none of this works, what version of Windows are you running? (yes, this is the Windows 7 forum, but it never hurts to double-check...)
Score
0
Related resources
January 18, 2010 10:37:36 PM

Hi all, yes have found the shortcut as well as trying to activate the CMD prompt directly from the C:\Windows\System32 directory but it doesn't come up on the screen at all. When I looked in Task Manager it is in the list of processes running (second tab, one for each time I've tried to open it) but not in the running applications (first tab).

It is Windows 7 Premier Home edition (I think - is the boss' laptop), upgraded from Vista apparently a fortnight ago.
Score
0
a c 209 $ Windows 7
January 19, 2010 3:31:31 AM

I'm trying to think of scenarios where that would happen but I'm drawing a blank...
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2010 7:10:34 AM

...if the properties on cmd.exe were set to start minimized then this would happen. (But someone would have to have changed it.)
Score
0
a c 209 $ Windows 7
January 19, 2010 9:58:21 AM

I considered that, but a minimized window would still be visible on the taskbar and in Task Manager's list of applications...
Score
0
February 18, 2010 11:05:01 AM

This is happening to me also. I was on with dell support for 3 hours and they couldn't figure it out. We did discover that when we created another user, cmd would work with that user. They concluded that the user where cmd would not work is corrupted. They suggested I either migrate over to the new (which I didn't want to do) or just create a new user when I need to use cmd.

Any ideas on how to fix the problem? Registry problem?
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2010 11:32:34 AM

Have a look at this thread to see if it is relevant.
Score
0
February 18, 2010 8:20:42 PM

Thanks ijack, I checked the registry policies, not the problem. I will try a repair from windows 7 setup disk after I get home from vacation.
Score
0
March 22, 2011 5:42:23 PM

sminlal said:
Are you saying that you can't find the item in the Start Menu to open the window, or that you clicked on the Start Menu item and yet the window didn't appear?

For the former, you can follow Jonmor's instructions, or you can type "cmd" into the Start -> Search box.

If none of this works, what version of Windows are you running? (yes, this is the Windows 7 forum, but it never hurts to double-check...)


I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. Actually the cmd prompt does show up its just that the screen is totally blank but the cursor is there. if i try typing the cursor will move but nothing shows up that i typed.

Thanks for your help!

codi5
Score
0
March 22, 2011 5:44:39 PM

Jonmor68 said:
Click on Start, wait for all programs to show, then click on Accessories to find it.


Thats not it. I can find it easily. But when i click on it the screen does pop up but it is totally blank with just the cursor flashing. if i try to type, the cursor will move but it won't show anything i have typed.

Thanks for your help.

codi5
Score
0
March 22, 2011 5:48:07 PM

Question... might be a dumb one though

Your boss upgraded from windows vista 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit?

I have heard of a whole host of problems when upgrading like that.
Score
0
March 22, 2011 5:56:51 PM

Insanity Multimedia said:
Hi all, yes have found the shortcut as well as trying to activate the CMD prompt directly from the C:\Windows\System32 directory but it doesn't come up on the screen at all. When I looked in Task Manager it is in the list of processes running (second tab, one for each time I've tried to open it) but not in the running applications (first tab).

It is Windows 7 Premier Home edition (I think - is the boss' laptop), upgraded from Vista apparently a fortnight ago.


Am i typing in the wrong thread b/c this isn't the same problem as mine at all. My cmd prompt shows up but the screen is blank with just a flashing cursor and when i type it moves but nothing is visible?

Please help!

codi5
Score
0
January 17, 2012 1:53:52 AM

codi5 said:
Am i typing in the wrong thread b/c this isn't the same problem as mine at all. My cmd prompt shows up but the screen is blank with just a flashing cursor and when i type it moves but nothing is visible?

Please help!

codi5



refer to this thread
http://www.troublefixers.com/run-command-button-not-vis...

if you enable as explained it will fix your issue

Thx
MS
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2012 2:15:43 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
0
!