dual boot xp and win2k

October 26, 2004 12:15:02 AM

I first installed win2k pro on the c: drive
I made a new partition and installed win xp pro.
But I can only boot into xp, and i get no choices.
All the files are still on my computer. How can I have a choice of which os
to boot into?

More about : dual boot win2k

October 26, 2004 5:17:08 AM

Bing - Boot It Next Generation
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"bagtagsell" <bagtagsell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I first installed win2k pro on the c: drive
> I made a new partition and installed win xp pro.
> But I can only boot into xp, and i get no choices.
> All the files are still on my computer. How can I have a choice of which
> os
> to boot into?
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 3:03:05 PM

Unfortunately, due to servicing customers w/ commercial software, its necessary
to stay with some older systems... any ideas (I am running into the same
issue)
Microsoft has a known issue with the following dual boot scenario:

Install Win XP (primary C:\ partition presumably)
Install Win 2K on another primary partition.

==> Windows XP does not boot any more. The fix is:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...
- Essentially you repair the corrupted ntdlr file.

I am trying to do it this way, and I will let you know how it goes.

..... However, the info. on the Microsoft Website indicates to install the
older O.S.s
first followed by the most recent (which I also tried).
Ex:
Win 2K on a D: slice followed by Windows XP on the C: partition ..
==> Windows 2K will no longer boot .. ? some other fix (probably
simillar, but
I have not tried yet.

- M

!