Built computer does not boot, fans turn on, then off

confused_person

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
Hello. I have built a computer from scratch, and it won't boot. This is my first time building one from scratch.

When the motherboard powers on, the fans on the heatsink and graphics card spin for a moment, then stop. The motherboard's LED is still on after this, though. I'm not sure if the case LED's are properly connected, as they are not lit. The monitor does not get a signal.
I've tried it without the graphics card, and with one ram stick. The issue remains the same.

I was wondering if anyone may know what may be wrong with it, or any way to find out?

Hardware:
Motherboard: p8 pz68-v gen3
Graphics card: AMD 7770
Chassis: CM Storm Enforcer
Power supply: GS 600
Heatsink: Half 212 evo

Take everything out of the case.

Plug the processor, ram, video card, and PSU into the motherboard.

Then take some metal object like a flat screwdriver and touch it to the 2 pins marked as PWR_BTN in the manual.

Tell me what happens.

beefybish

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
Just to check, when you installed the motherboard into your case... Did you install the standoffs between the motherboard and the board tray? Sounds like it may be shorting out on the case. (I think that's what Raiddinn wanted to know)

What CPU do you have? I didn't see it listed.

If the slot of the processor is not 1155, you would definitely have a processor incompatibility problem.

Assuming it is a 1155 slot processor, I wouldn't be so quick to blame it on that.

I would first investigate the RAM.

Keep everything out of the case and take out all the RAM except 1 stick.

What RAM do you have, btw?

If it does the same thing, then take out the first stick and put the second stick in slot 1. Make sure you push hard on it to be sure it is all the way in the slot. When the things clip isn't always good enough.

If that fails, put the first stick in the second slot and nothing in slot 1. If that fails, put only the second stick in slot 2 and nothing in slot 1.

Basically, the idea is to systematically try different sticks in different RAM slots. This helps to determine if you have bad ram sticks or bad ram slots.

beefybish

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
Yeah Raddins right, and you can definitely bend the pins back. However, do it gently and slowly, and don't play about with them for too long. If you keep bending them eventually they will weaken and snap off. I usually use a scalpel/knife because you can line all the pins up with each other as you bend them back.

Think about it.. if it's already bent and unusable, there's no harm in trying...

ALTHOUGH; I've just seen you have a socket 1155 motherboard, so it could be a pain to get the pins back how they should be :(

Good luck man

confused_person

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
Hey i just decided on buying a new motherboard, I really appreciate you guys helping me out. If one of you knows how to overclock a i5 2500k using a ASUS P8Z68-V LE . I have a Haf evo 212 for this and it would be very helpful.