Sign in with
Your question

Im buying this computer from eCollegepc.

Last response: in Systems
April 4, 2012 12:12:05 AM

Are the parts they use good?

CPU : AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core Zambezi 3.6Ghz 8MB Cache AM3+
Heatsink/Fan : Arctic Cooling ACALP64PWM Ultra Quiet Fan/Heatsink
Motherboards : ASUS M5A97 (AMD 970, 2xPCI-E 6xSATA, 4xDDR3)
Memory : 8GB (4GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz
Hard Drive : 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA3
CD / DVD / CDRW 1 : 24X LG SATA Dual Layer DVD /-RW/CDRW w/Nero
Video Card : 1GB ATI Radeon HD6790 GDDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI
Operating System : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Case : CoolerMaster Black HAF 922 (5 5.25, 5 3.5) 3 Fans, Audio/USB/eSATA
Power Supply : 650watt Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W
April 4, 2012 12:17:06 AM

Hard to tell without brand names on all the components (i.e. HDD, memory, and GPU). That machine would probably cost around $700-800 to build yourself, so assuming it comes with a decent warranty and doesn't use no name bits for the unlisted stuff it should be fine at a price around $900-1000. Consider however that for the same price you could build yourself the same machine with a Z68 motherboard, an Intel 2500K CPU and a better GPU.

The one wierd inclusion that I really like is the Arctic Cooling CPU cooler. Those guys make some quality stuff.
April 4, 2012 1:21:45 AM

what about ATI? I hear more about AMD not ATI, is it still a good graphics card? and yeah I guess they dont tell the brand names for the memory hdd and gpu, but I could replace those easily if something happened to them, this computer cost me about 830$ from them
Related resources
April 4, 2012 1:36:19 AM

Chrispurvis09 said:
what about ATI? I hear more about AMD not ATI, is it still a good graphics card? and yeah I guess they dont tell the brand names for the memory hdd and gpu, but I could replace those easily if something happened to them, this computer cost me about 830$ from them

ATI was acquired in whole by AMD several years ago. It is now AMD's graphics division and has been rebranded as such
April 4, 2012 3:31:06 AM

What he said above. ATI is now owned by AMD, but ATI has been around since the dawn of graphics cards, they were one of the big players before nVidia even got into the game and are one of the few companies that survived the great GPU cleansing of the late ninties early two-thousands (RIP 3Dfx, Matrox, Riva, etc...).

At any rate ATI/AMD is the chip manufacturer, the cards themselves are typically made by a third party vendor like XFX, Sapphire, Asus, etc...This is where the differentiation between same model number cards comes in. Some manufacturers use better quality board components or feature custom coolers, or over clocks of the factory, or "reference design" given by ATI/AMD.
!