Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Msi Twin frozr R5850 Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 27, 2012 11:30:27 AM

I have a Msi Twin frozr R5850 . Since 2-3 days I felt a performance drop .. so i benchmarked it using furmark and was shocked to see the results :o 
At start when i had bechmarked GTA 4 with this card the results showed up 52 Fps on average and now its showing 35 FPS average :sweat:  Almost 30% performance drop !

I am providing a link of the Furmark test. Please let me know whether the GPU is about to die or its because of some other facts .
I tried updating ATI catalyst and Motherboard bios but showed no difference :( 
Also the Temperatures are very high :ouch: 

Please refer the image and guide me ;) 

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/81/furmark1z.jpg

My system :

Msi 890GX-G65
AMD 1055T
Corsair 2*2Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 Ram
Corsair VX 550
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 27, 2012 12:04:35 PM

Probably a driver issue.Have you downloaded any patches since the last time you tested it?

Make sure you uninstall the old drivers and reboot before you install the new ones.

What kind of temps are you getting?
Score
January 27, 2012 1:20:46 PM

purple stank said:
Probably a driver issue.Have you downloaded any patches since the last time you tested it?

Make sure you uninstall the old drivers and reboot before you install the new ones.

What kind of temps are you getting?

Don't remember much ..but i updated my Drivers a week ago.
I tried everything from uninstalling , installing the drivers that I obtained along with the graphic card , installing new catalyst 12.1.
Yes i even tried rebooting after a complete uninstall and installed again.. but did'nt help me :( 
Temps are really worse ( Idle 56°C and reaches 96°C at full Load ) . I've provided a link where u can see the Temps :cry: 
Core clock and Memory clock are throttling :(  :cry:  please help . :sweat: 
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 214 U Graphics card
January 27, 2012 1:42:23 PM

Well 96c is almost max for that card.And the high temps would explain why you are seeing reduced performance.When the card gets to hot it tries to downclock itself so that it doesn't burn up.

Try cleaning the card for dust buildup.You should also try reapplying some thermal paste.9 times out of 10 the reason for overheating is due to dust or old thermal paste.
January 27, 2012 4:30:34 PM

Thanx a Lot friend.. helped a lot :) 
Now its workin fine.. :sol:  . Actually it was a driver problem as you said . I uninstalled everything using driver sweeper and installed a fresh copy of latest Driver .
But the temps remain the same ... 91°C max and Idle around 50°C .
1 thing i wanted to ask is can i open the heat sink without Voiding warranty ?
Like i said before i have MSI R5850 Twin frozr ;)  Still 1.5 years of warranty period is left and i really don't want to screw with its warranty :lol: 
Score
January 27, 2012 4:31:00 PM

Best answer selected by shashi101.
Score
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 27, 2012 4:52:32 PM

That's still way to high for a Twin Frozr.

Are you using MSI Afterburner?

It should be fine.But if you want to be extra cautious start a ticket with MSI's support team/Warranty team and ask them if it voids the warranty if you reapply thermal paste.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 27, 2012 5:17:47 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!