• Radeon
  • Battlefield
  • Games
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
January 27, 2012 11:48:35 AM

Hi,

so I have had this problem for a while now, ever since I got my hands on BF3 (awesome game, btw). Whenever I play the game (read multiplayer, this doesn't happen to me when playing campaign), I get an error. Not an error message - a freeze. And not just any freeze, a really deep freeze. PC becomes unresponsive, the game gets stuck and the only thing I can do is power down the computer by pulling it out of the socket. Interesting fact is that not even the small restart button on the front of my case works and I have to hold the big power down button for several seconds for the PC to turn off. I have also noticed my speakers produce very loud electric sound when that occurs.

I haven't noticed any relation between where I am/ what i am doing in the game and the freezes. Sometimes I am just standing next to a wall when that happens.

Any thoughts on what the hell this is?

More about : bf3 freezes

January 27, 2012 12:08:13 PM

Well there are two possibilities:

1. Hardware problem.
Does your computer freeze under stress in other games?
Run Crysis or Furmark to test graphics card, prime 95 to test cpu, or PassMark to test everything.
It could be your power supply giving out under the stress.

2. The game is full of bugs.
I personally have had problems with the game too, although nothing close to yours. Sadly, in today's day and age, the companies release the games ASAP to make money, and then establish bugs and release patchs later.

The only really wierd thing is your reset button. Do I understand correctly that it works when not in game or freezing, but it dosn't when the freeze happens?
January 27, 2012 12:35:48 PM

Well even tho the reset button not working is an issue we should help get fixed, its irrelevant to the issue. Try restarting the level (Which is a pain in the but) I have had to restart a level several time but usuauly it over writes the code of that segment or level and makes it work out. But run a Can you Run it for your computer as you may have some trouble running the game because your hardware may not be up to par. If this is the case i can immediately start recommending parts or things you can do to tweak your system. as for the reset switch, the auctual contact plate for the button could be bad or the reset switch might not be plugged to the right pin on the motherboard. But you did the right thing but just holding the power button down, because the reset switch can mess up your computer if you do it the wrong situation. The Power button can mess u up to. but you may have to just deal wit the reset issue as sometimes a case can get shipped with a loose button or a cracked usb port etc. So unless you want to send the case back to the manufacture. Hope i have helped you out. But also Max is correct even tho its been a month or so since the last BF3 patch the game is still full of bugs like the very anoying tripping over a pebble with 3% health and instantly dieing
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 27, 2012 6:42:21 PM

First of all, thanks for the answers.

Nope, my PC hasn't showed any signs of wanting to freeze under high stress. I finished Crysis2 on Ultra details without any of these issues. I run 3DMark every several weeks and neither here does it freeze. I actually think it may be an issue with the PSU as I have had very little budget left when choosing it. I am using Enermax 425W, which I thought would be just enough to power the whole setup even under the most stressing situations. Talking about it now, I just remembered that whenever I tried to overclock my processor (i3-540), my PC kept crashing down by blacking out for several seconds when put into high-stress situations. I usually got some message saying that: "AMD driver has stopped working and has successfully recovered. " Think that had something to do with it.

I know the game is still buggy, but I do not put many chances into some small internal bug causing my PC to freeze like that.

Yeah, you understood it correctly. It always worked perfectly(even checked the contacts), but whenever I get this freeze, it becomes unresponsive for some reason. Maybe it is that this button needs some response from the software to continue, and since, well, the SW is not responding, the button wouldn't work. But these are just some of my thoughts, not expecting myself to be correct or anything :D . So yeah, I think that it is related to the freeze more than to the chances of it being somehow damaged.

I also tried running the CYRI. It basically told me I'd need a better CPU for the game (this issue can be easily solved by overclocking the CPU, however), but I haven't had any issues with it so far.

So I guess the problem is the PSU, I shall take a look at some local markets and maybe buy a more effective (let's say 500W) PSU to see if it works, or well, solve the BF3 problem.
January 27, 2012 8:12:55 PM

Yeah that could be. 425 watts is pushing it, what gfx card(s) do you have?
Also, if your going to upgrade your PSU, which isnt a bad idea even if the ernamax isnt busted, you should go with at least 600 watt to make it more future proof.
January 28, 2012 6:05:31 AM

I am currently using Radeon HD5850.

Yeah, I most probably am as it currently seems as the only way out. Darn, I guess the smartphone I wanted will have to wait as this is far more urgent. Probably gonna post a thread in a different category, but I am prolly going to go with Seasonic M12II-620 which is 620W and is still in my price range. So yeah, thank you for your time :) 
January 28, 2012 8:43:08 AM

Ok, sounds good. But remember, we dont have a way to know that the PSU was the problem. You might buy a new PSU and have the same problem. Actually since you can do stress tests its probably not the PSU.
But either way its good to get up to a safer wattage, and if the problem is still there its probably battlefield, as all your other hardware works. In which case you can just wait for a patch.
January 28, 2012 10:02:51 AM

Right, have that on my mind. Was thinking of upgrading my HW anyway and that wouldn't be possible without a more effective PSU.
Just a side note, the packaging of my gfx says I need at least 500W PSU to run it and I am using 425W :p 

Yeah, about that, however, I can't do anything so I am most likely going to buy a new, stronger PSU.

Thank you for your help Max1s, much appreciated.
January 28, 2012 10:52:51 AM

No problem, good luck and viel spaß! (Have fun!)