Should I build a desktop?

brianray

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
Hello,
I am interested in building a desktop. I have never done this, and really don't know very much about it. Is there much of a savings in building vs. buying? I am hoping to spend less than $1000. I don't game or photo shop really, but I like the idea of a faster computer that never bogs. What do you all think? Should I give it a try. Where do I get started?

YES!!!
First off, it is rewarding as can be
Second, no bloatware!!!
Most of the time it is cheaper but there are risks that come with it also (if a part doesn't work etc...)

You've already made a good start by coming to the forum and asking questions... Now there is quite a bit of reading to do. Read the build stickys here and other tech forums (this is the internet - always verify what you read), watch videos on youtube (build tutorials and the like) read some more and keep asking questions.
You can easily build a non-gaming computer in your budget that you will be proud to show (after all you built it)

if you buy a pc to get that low price point they cut a lot of corners. one of them is the power supply size. most pre build use small 350w ps that are only good for low end cards. when you build the system yourself it going to last longer then the store unit aa it can be upgraded a lot easer. most cpu and mb take 3-4 years before the os or games start taxing them if you build smart. what you want to look at is the intel i-5 line of cpu. sandy bridge is out now the end of april is ivy bridge. for the money the 6870 right now is not a bad deal nor is the 78xx gpu. sometime this year nvidia will have the 110 version of keplar out. a game rig with 8 gigs of ram will be fine. places like new egg you can build a temp build sheet and then save it as an image and then link it here. the part that you have to buy that good quility is the power supply..if it blows a cap and pops it can take out your whole gaming rig.

johnpaul182

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Just read up on some reviews etc. And yes you will save a lot compared to buying a Pc pre-built!

^ as C12Friedman has suggested look up some youtube videos on how to build computers!

johnpaul182

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

The OP said that he won't be doing any gaming or any type of editing, so what is the need for the i5? If i was building a rig mainly for browsing the web and watching movies, I'd go for the i3 2100! and for the Gpu something like the 550 ti.

I disagree that the answer is always yes.

Questions to ask yourself:

1. Are you comfortable supporting your own work? Individual parts may be under warranty but you will have to do your own troubleshooting.

2. Are you comfortable supporting Windows? If not you will have to buy a full version of Windows (that comes with support), an added expense.

Absolutely review some videos and read the assembly tutorial right here in the forum:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building

I know many people that should not build their own PC, but you can decide for yourself.

If you decide to do so then post a new thread using this guide:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice
The links in my signature will help as well.

Most of those people (if not all) wouldn't bother asking the questions here...

And true, building a PC is not for everyone (pardon my personal exuberance) he hasn't committed yet... see where the magic road leads - may get cold feet especially after reading/hearing of cable management nightmares (both real and dream kind! One tends to follow the other) and all the possible choices and the effect one choice may have on others etc...

brianray

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
Hey everyone, thanks for your replies and encouragement. I think I am going to start planning a build. It sounds kind of like fun. Originally I thought I was looking into building a desktop to replace my older laptop that the display had just quit working on, however I got that working again, so there is not as much of a rush, but I am still interested. I can get Windows at a great discount as a student through my school, though I am also interested in Linux. I plan to use the computer for general internet browsing, Quick Books and hopefully learning some programming. I have also been considering using it as a media server, though I do not know too much about that yet, still looking into it. It seems you all will be a great help in planning and when it comes time to actually get everything together. Thanks.