Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5-2500k temp too high?

Last response: in CPUs
July 17, 2012 6:09:39 PM

Hey guys so my set up ATM is i5-2500k OC'd to 4.0ghz, with a corsair a50, 4gb kingston ram, gtx 275, a biostar tz77xe3 mobo, and a 600w supply. My question is my idle CPU temp is around 37C and when i play games like League of legends or Left 4 dead 2, temps goes as low as 70C as high as 75C+, is this something i should be worried about? Thanks in advance.

More about : 2500k temp high

July 17, 2012 6:58:11 PM

marvindsays said:
Hey guys so my set up ATM is i5-2500k OC'd to 4.0ghz, with a corsair a50, 4gb kingston ram, gtx 275, a biostar tz77xe3 mobo, and a 600w supply. My question is my idle CPU temp is around 37C and when i play games like League of legends or Left 4 dead 2, temps goes as low as 70C as high as 75C+, is this something i should be worried about? Thanks in advance.

I've never owned or looked at the A50 in detail but those temps do seem higher than I'd expect. download and run prime95. it stresses the CPU much more than games do and a lot of people use it as a way to compare temperatures. 70-75 should be the suitable temps for the CPU really, that's running Prime95 rather than gaming, in which the temps are normally 40-60 degrees, so I think you'll be better off trying to reseat the cooler (with new thermal paste) or maybe get an extra case fan. What case do you have?
m
l

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
July 17, 2012 7:13:19 PM

Not absolutely terrible temps and the A50 isn't the best cooler, but it should perform better than THAT, I would think. After looking at a couple reviews for it, it does about as well as a CM Hyper TX3 (which isn't that great either, but still better than what you're seeing).

How did you apply the thermal paste?

My recommendation is to take it off and re-seat. Thoroughly clean off all of the current paste from the CPU heat spreader and the base of the cooler, then spread a very small amount between the grooves between each pipe and the base (a VERY small amount, just enough to fill in the grooves). After that, put a small pea sized dot in the center of the CPU heat spreader and don't spread it, just let the weight of the cooler spread it when you reinstall it.

Let's see if that helps.
Related resources
July 17, 2012 7:34:11 PM

Yeah I would look to yer thermal paste. Maybe you forgot to put it on...? Maybe you put to much on?
m
l
July 17, 2012 8:22:59 PM

Everyone is jumping to conclusions.. NOBODY has yet asked what your ambien temperature in the room is. I have a 2500k also OC'd to 4.0.

I get 70-72c at full load while Stress Testing (NOT GAMING, which doesn't raise temperatures as much)

1. My Room Temp is always 75c
2. I Have my voltages as LOW as they can go with stability. (Some people don't bother with this.. they take DEFAULT overclocks settings and run with it because it will run, but they generate more heat then sometimes is needed)
3. I have an Corsair H100 with Corsair 650 Case, both not TOP proformers but solid.

If your CASE has poor airflow, your CPU will be cooled with warmer air..(Duh)

Should you be concerned? Well let me tell you this.

You could bump down your overclock till you get temps like mine.
Get Prime95 to tax your system.
IF your keeping your MAX temps under 75 I dont think your really doing much damage. The CPU is rated for 83 I believe before failure. Just remember if your Room temp goes up 10 degress your in trouble. Thats why I like my temps... If my room goes up 15 i'm right at that danger zone but I'd end up sweating my ass off, and need to quit gaming anyway hah.
m
l
July 18, 2012 1:55:21 AM

hey guys, thank you very much for the feedback! My case is a NZXT LEX mid tower
I will definitely check to see if i messed up my cooler and try to reseat it! feedback is awsome love this forum btw
m
l
July 18, 2012 2:22:30 AM

Best answer selected by marvindsays.
m
l
July 18, 2012 2:28:09 AM

By the way...how long should i run prime 95 for?? sorry for the posts man >.< just a newbie here
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 18, 2012 2:31:35 AM

marvindsays said:
By the way...how long should i run prime 95 for?? sorry for the posts man >.< just a newbie here

For absolute stability testing, it's supposed to be 12+ hours, but usually, if it'll get past an hour or two, you're good.
m
l
August 6, 2012 8:23:50 PM

dadof1hunter said:
Everyone is jumping to conclusions.. NOBODY has yet asked what your ambien temperature in the room is. I have a 2500k also OC'd to 4.0.

I get 70-72c at full load while Stress Testing (NOT GAMING, which doesn't raise temperatures as much)

1. My Room Temp is always 75c
2. I Have my voltages as LOW as they can go with stability. (Some people don't bother with this.. they take DEFAULT overclocks settings and run with it because it will run, but they generate more heat then sometimes is needed)
3. I have an Corsair H100 with Corsair 650 Case, both not TOP proformers but solid.

If your CASE has poor airflow, your CPU will be cooled with warmer air..(Duh)

Should you be concerned? Well let me tell you this.

You could bump down your overclock till you get temps like mine.
Get Prime95 to tax your system.
IF your keeping your MAX temps under 75 I dont think your really doing much damage. The CPU is rated for 83 I believe before failure. Just remember if your Room temp goes up 10 degress your in trouble. Thats why I like my temps... If my room goes up 15 i'm right at that danger zone but I'd end up sweating my ass off, and need to quit gaming anyway hah.

HAHAHA if your room temperature was 75*C you would die I'm afraid xD
m
l
!