Finally Upgraded my Rig

Haven't posted here for a while but figure I should start again since I just upgraded my rig last week.

The parts I replaced was the following (which I had for about 3 years)
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Processor
AMD Asus motherboard

I upgraded to a Intel core I5 2500k Processor, Asus P8Z68-V GEN3 motherboard, and bought some new RAM (8gb) for just under 500 dollars canadian (incl 2 years extended warrantly on the parts for about 40 dollars and incl tax).

the motherboard & the intel processors was part of a bundle and it supports pci-e 3 and I think ivy bridge (though not a big concern right now) with a bios update I think. Think it was about 369.99 cdn before tax for the mother board/cpu bundle.

Only thing I need to upgrade now is the video card since I only got a geforce gtx 560 (non ti) right now and planning to get a 660 (when or if it comes out) or a 680 (in a few months). Also planning to get a SSD drive but not until windows 8 comes out since I really don't want to reinstall windows for a while.

Only thing I can say is that upgrading to the I5 made a big difference in playing games, especially battlefield 3 & skyrym.
4 answers Last reply
More about finally upgraded
  1. Good choice on the Cpu, the 2500k is the king of the processors when it comes to gaming!
  2. You should check out the Windows 8 consumer preview and see if it's worth waiting for. I have it, and I don't plan on switching from 7. You might decide, based on the preview, to go ahead and buy the SSD sooner.
  3. That's what the general consensus I got reading different websites and forums plus I wasn't impressed on what AMD is doing in terms of AM3+ and bulldozer.

In terms of SSD, I might do it sooner, well see.
  4. Just a quick update. I did buy a SSD Hard drive for windows today and picked up the Crucial M4 SSD 128gb drive and glad I got the SSD sooner for Windows. Everything runs a lot better when Windows 7 is on a SSD.

If I can make one recommendation for anyone building a new rig or evern upgrading their older rig, get an SSD for your windows intallation and a 1 or 2 TB driver for everthing else.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems