Sign in with
Your question

Video editing homebuild

Last response: in Systems
April 4, 2012 3:28:02 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Ivy bridge will be out. going for an october final assembly, but some parts (case, ram, psu, etc) will be bought earlier as no major update can be made on them for now.

Budget Range: 800$-1100$

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video editing, home theater, playing games (minecraft, rts games, fps games). Basically a computer that can handle much of what I throw at it.

Parts Not Required: Monitor, mouse, keyboard

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.ca

Parts Preferences: SSD mandatory, no obscur companies (like xclio). Firewire is a necessity, preferrably the newest one. Don't remember the revison name.

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: maybe, in time.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: easily upgradable. cool and quiet (used to laptop).

Parts already chosen:

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

My current computer is a baseline 15" MBP of early 2011, with 8 gb of RAM manually installed.

Software I might use:

Hitfilm Studio

I'll use my mac for vacation editing and short "shows", but to make good VFX my PC will be used. I shoot at 1080p/1080i and 720p. I plan on becoming more professional, as I love video editing, movie making, etc. I want to make it future-resistant. Like, only having to replace MoBo and CPU in 3 years.
April 4, 2012 4:31:15 AM

I have that case on one of my builds, I like it.

Hold off on your ram choice (unless it's an inheritance) since it may not be on the motherboard's (the one you choose) QVL.
Look at: 1) PSU's, you can purchase that pre-build - if you do, get a tester at least so you'll know it's not DOA - RMA can be a hassle when the product is new, let alone 6 months down the road
Look at: 2) SSD's (prices should drop by the time of your build - keep an eye on prices do not buy yet)
Look at: 3) Optical Drive(s) - prices haven't moved a great deal
Look at: 4) HDD's - prices are high right now but you will want a whole lot of storage

Hold off on Processor, Motherboard, Memory and Graphics as there is always something on the horizon which may just work better - start researching those about one month before your build
I repeat myself... memory goes with the motherboard and is dependant upon it for compatibility - hold off on that purchase - read mobo's QVL before purchasing ram, save yourself headaches later
m
l
April 4, 2012 4:47:30 AM

Hi there,
Buying software like that and get only 8GB is a bad decision! 16GB is a bare minimum.
Get as much as u can, even 32GB should be an option, if u get to know how ot take advantage of the RAM disc.

And the decision not to OC is also not reasonable, as u can run @ 4.5GHz and have one fast machine.

BTW, what is the CPU? I hope u will go with 2600K or better.
m
l
Related resources
April 4, 2012 11:50:41 AM

nikorr said:
Hi there,
Buying software like that and get only 8GB is a bad decision! 16GB is a bare minimum.
Get as much as u can, even 32GB should be an option, if u get to know how ot take advantage of the RAM disc.

And the decision not to OC is also not reasonable, as u can run @ 4.5GHz and have one fast machine.

It's my first build, I don't know how to OC, nor do I want to risk it. Thanks for the RAM advice though.
m
l
April 4, 2012 12:00:48 PM

2600k has hyper threading which helps a lot in multi threaded apps like video editing.
m
l
April 4, 2012 3:01:21 PM

nikorr said:
Hi there,

16GB? 32GB? Seriously? I multitask continuously and have yet to use more than 4GB - 8 GB with Win 7 is more than enough - 16 or more? Unless you're running a server just shove dollar bills in your ram slots and tell people you got 16 or 32 or 64 - none of your programs will notice the difference
How can you say something like not overclocking isn't reasonable? Burning up your $200+ processor, that's what isn't reasonable, some people don't want to take that risk (although very minimal anymore). A proper overclock requires quite a bit of time running stress tests,changing settings, babysitting, etc... which a lot of people don't want to do. It's a personal choice and a reasonable one.
m
l
April 4, 2012 10:53:58 PM

is the i7 2600 ok, or overclocking is a necessity and I need the 2600k ? I'm kind of on a strict budget and each dollar counts.
m
l
April 4, 2012 11:00:55 PM

2600K has hyper threading. Without it, it is more like 2500K

Here is the differences between the i5-2500k and the i7-2600k.
The i7-2600k can take advantage of the Hyper Threading when more than one heavy loaded program is in use. This will cause the 2 programs to operate simultaneously with the same frequency however, when operating at one program at a time the HyperThreading can in some cases make the program operate slower than usual(Not very typical). The i5-2500k cannot take advantage of this.

The i7-2600k also uses 2MB more of L3 cache, the work frequency of your computer is like this: Registre(BIOS & Other non-operating system stuff) -> Cache -> RAM -> SSD -> HDD this is how fast the computer operates and is in the same order. So the Cache works faster than the RAM and works abit like the RAM aswell. Also the work process is high between each step and i cannot remember the exact frequencies.

The cache layers copied files from the system, which is way faster than getting the informations from the HDD or W/e. However its only common useful files which are layered in the Cache.
m
l
April 4, 2012 11:03:47 PM

elysio said:
is the i7 2600 ok, or overclocking is a necessity and I need the 2600k ? I'm kind of on a strict budget and each dollar counts.

Look, to overclock 2600K is so easy, a cave man can do it, that easy. U don't have to have extra knowledge to OC this CPU to 4.5GHz if u will get a $30 CPU cooler like this one.

And if u get an after market CPU cooler, u can OC to past 4.5GHz with ease : )
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
April 4, 2012 11:07:33 PM

When u OC, check the differences. It is the free performance that u can use.

m
l
April 5, 2012 2:38:14 AM

I don't want to OC until my second build. i want to make sure the first time it wasn't luck. And BTW, I'm patient. Those 20-second differences don't matter to me.
m
l
!