How find what is preventing hotkey?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

How can I find out what is prevent a particular hotkey of mine from
working.

When I press 'CTRL ALT O' the associated application no longer
launches. Instead I get a flicker of the screen. If my cursor is in
a text entry box then a special character for O gets written when i
use that hotkey (O with an acute accent: ó).

I tried utility which check for Windows Hotkey assignments in all the
"hot" places such as desktop, start menus, etc. But it can't find
any other hotkey assigned using a shortcut with that combination of
keys.

(Hotkey Detective by PC Magazine. See
http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,1761,a=27764,00.asp)

No other application is open which uses that combination.

How can I track down what is picking up my 'CTRL ALT O' and prevent
it getting to launch my custom shortcut?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

"Zarbol Tsar" <zarbol@tsar.net> wrote
| How can I find out what is prevent a particular hotkey of mine from
| working.
|
| When I press 'CTRL ALT O' the associated application no longer
| launches. Instead I get a flicker of the screen. If my cursor is in
| a text entry box then a special character for O gets written when i
| use that hotkey (O with an acute accent: ó).
|
| I tried utility which check for Windows Hotkey assignments in all the
| "hot" places such as desktop, start menus, etc. But it can't find
| any other hotkey assigned using a shortcut with that combination of
| keys.
|
| (Hotkey Detective by PC Magazine. See
| http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,1761,a=27764,00.asp)
|
| No other application is open which uses that combination.
|
| How can I track down what is picking up my 'CTRL ALT O' and prevent
| it getting to launch my custom shortcut?

Try using Left-Alt and Left-Ctrl keys.

CONCEPTS:
http://weblogs.asp.net/oldnewthing/archive/2004/03/29/101121.aspx
Why Ctrl+Alt shouldn't be used as a shortcut modifier

On 26 Oct 2004, a nonymous wrote:

> "Zarbol Tsar" <zarbol@tsar.net> wrote
>| How can I find out what is prevent a particular hotkey of mine
>| from working.
>|
>| When I press 'CTRL ALT O' the associated application no longer
>| launches. Instead I get a flicker of the screen. If my cursor
>| is in a text entry box then a special character for O gets
>| written when i use that hotkey (O with an acute accent: ó).
>|
>| I tried utility which check for Windows Hotkey assignments in
>| all the "hot" places such as desktop, start menus, etc. But it
>| can't find any other hotkey assigned using a shortcut with that
>| combination of keys.
>|
>| (Hotkey Detective by PC Magazine. See
>| http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,1761,a=27764,00.asp)
>|
>| No other application is open which uses that combination.
>|
>| How can I track down what is picking up my 'CTRL ALT O' and
>| prevent it getting to launch my custom shortcut?
>

> Try using Left-Alt and Left-Ctrl keys.
>
> CONCEPTS:
> http://weblogs.asp.net/oldnewthing/archive/2004/03/29/101121.aspx
> Why Ctrl+Alt shouldn't be used as a shortcut modifier

Interesting link.