How find what is preventing hotkey?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

How can I find out what is prevent a particular hotkey of mine from
working.

When I press 'CTRL ALT O' the associated application no longer
launches. Instead I get a flicker of the screen. If my cursor is in
a text entry box then a special character for O gets written when i
use that hotkey (O with an acute accent: ó).

I tried utility which check for Windows Hotkey assignments in all the
"hot" places such as desktop, start menus, etc. But it can't find
any other hotkey assigned using a shortcut with that combination of
keys.

(Hotkey Detective by PC Magazine. See
http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,1761,a=27764,00.asp)

No other application is open which uses that combination.

How can I track down what is picking up my 'CTRL ALT O' and prevent
it getting to launch my custom shortcut?
2 answers Last reply
More about find preventing hotkey
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "Zarbol Tsar" <zarbol@tsar.net> wrote
    | How can I find out what is prevent a particular hotkey of mine from
    | working.
    |
    | When I press 'CTRL ALT O' the associated application no longer
    | launches. Instead I get a flicker of the screen. If my cursor is in
    | a text entry box then a special character for O gets written when i
    | use that hotkey (O with an acute accent: ó).
    |
    | I tried utility which check for Windows Hotkey assignments in all the
    | "hot" places such as desktop, start menus, etc. But it can't find
    | any other hotkey assigned using a shortcut with that combination of
    | keys.
    |
    | (Hotkey Detective by PC Magazine. See
    | http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,1761,a=27764,00.asp)
    |
    | No other application is open which uses that combination.
    |
    | How can I track down what is picking up my 'CTRL ALT O' and prevent
    | it getting to launch my custom shortcut?

    Try using Left-Alt and Left-Ctrl keys.

    CONCEPTS:
    http://weblogs.asp.net/oldnewthing/archive/2004/03/29/101121.aspx
    Why Ctrl+Alt shouldn't be used as a shortcut modifier
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On 26 Oct 2004, a nonymous wrote:

    > "Zarbol Tsar" <zarbol@tsar.net> wrote
    >| How can I find out what is prevent a particular hotkey of mine
    >| from working.
    >|
    >| When I press 'CTRL ALT O' the associated application no longer
    >| launches. Instead I get a flicker of the screen. If my cursor
    >| is in a text entry box then a special character for O gets
    >| written when i use that hotkey (O with an acute accent: ó).
    >|
    >| I tried utility which check for Windows Hotkey assignments in
    >| all the "hot" places such as desktop, start menus, etc. But it
    >| can't find any other hotkey assigned using a shortcut with that
    >| combination of keys.
    >|
    >| (Hotkey Detective by PC Magazine. See
    >| http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,1761,a=27764,00.asp)
    >|
    >| No other application is open which uses that combination.
    >|
    >| How can I track down what is picking up my 'CTRL ALT O' and
    >| prevent it getting to launch my custom shortcut?
    >

    > Try using Left-Alt and Left-Ctrl keys.
    >
    > CONCEPTS:
    > http://weblogs.asp.net/oldnewthing/archive/2004/03/29/101121.aspx
    > Why Ctrl+Alt shouldn't be used as a shortcut modifier

    Interesting link.