Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Choosing the right Midtower Case

Last response: in Systems
April 4, 2012 5:16:36 AM

my sister's HP she bought in 2002 finally choked and died a couple weeks ago and I have been given the task to build her a new system. Our mother who is paying for it said "Cheap as possible" but she does want to be able to run software like Photoshop and other resource heavy software.

the build i have so far is as follows :

• Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - $132.99 + Free Shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
• Processor – Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80623G530 - $51.99 + Free Shipping - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
• Power Supply - Antec EarthWatts Series EA-750 Green 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Continuous Power Supply - $99.99 + Free Shipping - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
• Ram – ORDER 2 SETS - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - $29.99 (X 2) + free shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
• Hard Drive – Western Digital Caviar Green WD7500AARX 750GB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $99.99 + $7.86 Shipping - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
• CD/DVD Drive – (2 of these) - LG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH24NS90 – OEM - $18.99 + $4.99 Shipping (X 2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
• OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit – OEM - $99.99 + Free Shipping - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I was originally considering the Sentey Burton Extreme full tower case but in an effort to bring the cost of the build down as far as possible I started looking at the mid-tower cases.
I really do not care how the case looks as long as it has great airflow. I am trying to build her a system that will last her for a long time. I did not include a GPU cause the mobo has one on board she does not game except for occasionally on FB but she wants to be able to run her photoshop for enhancing photos.

any other parts or suggestions for this build will be greatly appreciated I am pretty much sold on this mobo due to the on board graphics and the UEFI

I usually use full tower cases for my builds to allow for greater airflow so I really do not know much about the smaller Mid-Tower cases.

I have been looking at the Mid-tower cases on newegg that come with a PSU which would save money but I cannot tell how good the airflow would be.

the cases I was looking at are the :

RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEBP
RAIDMAX Altas ATX-295WBP
APEVIA X-PLORER2 Series X-PLOR2-NW-BK/450 Black
RAIDMAX Blade ATX-298WBP
RAIDMAX Typhoon ATX-312WSP

these were the main ones I have been considering for her but as I said I do not know much bout the mid-tower if these are not any good please suggest good ones with very good air flow and low cost.

I thank everyone for their time

More about : choosing midtower case

April 4, 2012 5:17:57 AM

All crap quality, tbh. Go with Corsair or CM cases like the 500r, haf 912/922/storm trooper/storm scout/etc.
m
l
April 4, 2012 5:25:21 AM

Ugh - Raidmax is absolute garbage, and so is Sentey, and I've used too many of their cases and had nothing but problems. Go with a quality case from Cooler Master, Corsair, Antec, Fractal Design, or NZXT. If you want cases from those manufacturers I can recommend some good ones.

And do not get a case with a built in PSU - especially Crapmax - or risk the consequences of it blowing up on you (and I've seen that before) - I'm told Antec includes good ones but I still wouldn't risk it.

What's your max budget? I can suggest a far better build and still include an excellent case on top of that.m
m
l
Related resources
April 4, 2012 5:33:54 AM

That's way more power supply than you need. Will that system even break 150W? The memory controller on that G530 will only go up to DDR3-1066, so 1600 MHz RAM is superfluous. And finally, that processor isn't going to be putting out much heat. As long as you're using the bundled Intel fan which blows air down over the CPU and VRM (and the only reason to get an aftermarket cooler for an unclockable bottom of the line Pentium is noise), you should have all the cooling you need for the parts to last well past obsolescence. Just get whatever case looks prettiest.
m
l
April 4, 2012 5:49:19 AM

erikalikesfire said:
That's way more power supply than you need. Will that system even break 150W? The memory controller on that G530 will only go up to DDR3-1066, so 1600 MHz RAM is superfluous. And finally, that processor isn't going to be putting out much heat. As long as you're using the bundled Intel fan which blows air down over the CPU and VRM (and the only reason to get an aftermarket cooler for an unclockable bottom of the line Pentium is noise), you should have all the cooling you need for the parts to last well past obsolescence. Just get whatever case looks prettiest.

Well first off if the OP is expecting a Celeron to run Photoshop - that's not gonna happen especially if 3rd party plug ins are involved (I use AutoCAD w/Carlson - that is a major resource hog). Second the "choose whichever case looks prettiest" isn't the best recommendation because then people end up with crap from Raidmax or Sentey and if your PC has overheating issues or stuck power buttons - far more likely to happen when you get a case from one of those manufacturers that doesn't have good air flow, well, don't say I didn't warn you.
m
l
April 4, 2012 5:54:28 AM

thank you for your replies
I have just come across the Cm HAF 912 and am thinking hard on this one for her I have the Cm HAF X for a build I am doing for myself and love the design.
I was going with the larger psu (even though I know a 300 would be more than she would ever need) just in case she would want to add better graphics she would not have to upgrade the psu then. prob will knock it down to like a 400 though.

Max budget on this is "Cheap as possible" but still able to perform how she wants it to. tbh all she does is surf, FB, a good amount of photo editing and some video editing. I went overkill on some of the parts just to make it easier to upgrade later on.
m
l
April 4, 2012 5:59:02 AM

Quote:

I have just come across the Cm HAF 912 and am thinking hard on this one for her I have the Cm HAF X for a build I am doing for myself and love the design.
I was going with the larger psu (even though I know a 300 would be more than she would ever need) just in case she would want to add better graphics she would not have to upgrade the psu then. prob will knock it down to like a 400 though.

You can't get much better than the HAF 912 in the sub-$60 category.The Elite 430 is a good choice as well and it's $50. If you want an inexpensive PSU - the Corsair CX430 will more than meet your needs.

Quote:
Max budget on this is "Cheap as possible" but still able to perform how she wants it to. tbh all she does is surf, FB, a good amount of photo editing and some video editing. I went overkill on some of the parts just to make it easier to upgrade later on.

That still doesn't help me as I need a dollar amount - it's so hard to generalize on builds anymore with the sheer amount of hardware that's out there. I can do as low as $400 without a dedicated GPU.
m
l
April 4, 2012 6:12:56 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/plushdragon/buil...
a quick build i toss together. for the money your better off getting an amb cpu as it has better onboard video then intel cpu for the same price. as i went with the micro atx with two slots i went with one dimm kit of 8 gig that should handel anything photoshop tosses at it. I have the antac case it comes with two 120mm fans one on top and one in the read it can have one 120 or140 mm fan on the bottom depending on the size of the ps installed and can have one on the side pannel of the case.
a 500w ps will be fine if she wants to put a faster gpu she can. on your build i look at micro center or online and pick up a two core i3 most os and photoshop are written now to use more then one core at the same time. so for a few dollars more the i3 with two cores would be twice as fast in photoshop durning a rendering of a plug in. if the build can wait till the 24 of this month the older sandy bridge chips may drop in price when ivy bridge cpu come out.
m
l

Best solution

April 4, 2012 6:51:23 AM

Hi Malek I just had to put in my 2 cents here. I think there are some parts of your build that are going to seriously limit the potential of your PC to run anything like photoshop or "resource heavy software".

First I will throw out some suggestions and then I will defend them a bit.

Case:
COOLER MASTER Elite 430 - $39.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- I suggest this case mainly because I own it. It was my first build and for the price I really haven't found a case that beats it. I ran a 6 core phenom and a 6950 graphics card in it, both overclocked. That should give you an idea of the space and cooling capacity of the case.

Processor:
Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz - $124.99
- I know this is more $$ than the processor you chose but I think you have put money in the wrong place. With this upgrade you will get Hyper-threading, a larger cache, better graphics and a much needed clock increase. The processor is your workhorse, don't skimp out.

Motherboard:
MSI H67MS-E43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 - $89.99
- This would be your best place to save money, mainly because unless you will be overclocking there is no reason to have the benefits of a Z68 chipset. The H67 chipset was designed to compliment and enhance integrated graphics so it suits your needs perfectly. Take advantage of this because it will save you a nice chunk of change.

Power Supply:
CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W - $59.99
- I agree with the previous poster 750W is unnecessary. A good 500W power supply will be perfect for now and still allow you space to grow if need be.

Memory:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) - $41.99
- As you can see the motherboard I picked out has support for DDR3 1333 speeds. 2 sticks @ 4GB each will run faster and leave room for future upgrades. Just know that you will need something higher than Win7 Home Premium edition to use more than 16GB of ram.

Hard Drive:
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache - $109.99
- If you had an SSD for your OS I would say keep the green drive, but your OS on a 5400 rpm drive will drive you crazy. This drive will give you more space (you can never have enough) and will always spin at 720 rpm.

So I believe your total for parts was $563.92, mine will come in at $545.93 add the case and you are at $585.92. Just a note but I have not looked at any mail-in-rebates for these parts (I know there are some). I also know that if you are smart and can wait a bit you should be able to get at least 10% off any part that newegg sells. If you are lucky enough to have a Microcenter near you then you can do even better because I know for a fact that they sell the i3-2100 for $99.99 (a crazy good deal).

Now my last bit of advice. Please do not run to newegg and put this PC in your cart and hit buy. I know very little of your requirements or computing needs. I can tell you that these parts are a very good place to start, but do some research and make sure you find what best suits your needs. I can also tell you there will be disputes about what brands to use or how to save another $10 but don't let anyone here convince you to spend more money than you (or whoever is paying for this) are comfortable with.

Oh and as always, happy building!
April 4, 2012 9:01:11 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Well first off if the OP is expecting a Celeron to run Photoshop - that's not gonna happen especially if 3rd party plug ins are involved (I use AutoCAD w/Carlson - that is a major resource hog). Second the "choose whichever case looks prettiest" isn't the best recommendation because then people end up with crap from Raidmax or Sentey and if your PC has overheating issues or stuck power buttons - far more likely to happen when you get a case from one of those manufacturers that doesn't have good air flow, well, don't say I didn't warn you.

Well, my thinking was along the lines of him being better off with any cheapo $30 case and an i3-2100, than an $85 PSU, 1600 MHz RAM, a case with great cooling... and a G530 :D  The huge disparity in the performance of the different parts is almost comical, which I guess made me give a silly answer.

OP: when you say your sister does photoshop and video editing work, how serious are we talking here? Do you mean she beautifies pictures of herself to put on facebook and mashes together cell phone videos to put on youtube, or are you talking serious editing work? If she does serious editing, then you should really get the i3-2100. j2j663's build is very nice and all the parts are well-matched. He makes good points about the hard drive and motherboard, and that PSU will give you room to grow, particularly if she starts to get into gaming and needs a midrange GPU added to the system.
m
l
April 4, 2012 1:38:18 PM

Thanks alot for the build info g-unit

one qualm I do have is the use of a MSI mobo yes they are cheaper here about 6 yrs ago I bought one of their mobo's for a build for a client and had to return them 3 times til I got one that was not doa and 2 months later that one died ended up going asus out of my own pocket to get their system working again - now have they gotten better with their products? I have been avoiding their products like the plague since then.

I really have no clue what my sister does on a computer I do know she is on a pc from the time she wakes up til she decides to go out with her friends. she is 24 yo and lives with our mom - so I would say no not serious with the photo/ video editing

m
l
April 4, 2012 4:09:45 PM

Malek_Nyghtson said:
Thanks alot for the build info g-unit

one qualm I do have is the use of a MSI mobo yes they are cheaper here about 6 yrs ago I bought one of their mobo's for a build for a client and had to return them 3 times til I got one that was not doa and 2 months later that one died ended up going asus out of my own pocket to get their system working again - now have they gotten better with their products? I have been avoiding their products like the plague since then.

I really have no clue what my sister does on a computer I do know she is on a pc from the time she wakes up til she decides to go out with her friends. she is 24 yo and lives with our mom - so I would say no not serious with the photo/ video editing

Yeah I'm not the biggest fan of MSI either - I've had way too many of their boards fail on me. I've never tried their GPUs as I'm kind of hesitating to do so but their motherboards - no dice.

This is the absolute cheapest I can go on a build without sacrificing quality:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 - $39.99
PSU: Corsair CX500 V2 - $59.99 ($10.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Intel BOXDH67DLCB3 - $89.99
CPU: 2.7GHz Intel Pentium G630 - $79.99
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz 1.5V - $46.99
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - $84.99
Optical: Lite On Bulk DVD Burner - $17.99

Total: $419.93 - $10.00 MIR = $409.93

If you want to go Llano that might put it even cheaper and give you a bit more graphics horsepower should you need it but for general surfing and things like that I'm guessing you won't - the Intel HD 2000 graphics will be fine until you can get a $99 GPU like a Radeon 6790 or 6770.
m
l
April 4, 2012 7:55:57 PM

Thank you soooo much for all of the info whatever I decide I know she will be happy having a working computer back.

g-unit -Will the CPU in the second build still be strong enough to run Photoshop?

I jujst wanna make sure that the build I put together is going to perform as she wants without breaking my mom's bank

again thank you very much for your assistance
m
l
April 4, 2012 8:35:04 PM

Malek_Nyghtson said:
Thank you soooo much for all of the info whatever I decide I know she will be happy having a working computer back.

g-unit -Will the CPU in the second build still be strong enough to run Photoshop?

I jujst wanna make sure that the build I put together is going to perform as she wants without breaking my mom's bank

again thank you very much for your assistance

No - Llano is pretty much multimedia only. It has no horsepower for any sort of Adobe programs, the Pentium G630 is a bit newer and faster than the G620 is and even in tests it's still faster than the FX-8150 is so that would probably be the way to go if you want to do any Photoshop or anything that requires a decent CPU.
m
l
April 4, 2012 8:52:09 PM

Lancool PC-K62 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's the one I got, and I find it excellent. Big midtower, 4 fans, dust filters everywhere air is sucked in, good airflow and cable management, completely tool-free, sturdy, you can also mod it to add an extra fan at the front.
m
l
April 4, 2012 8:54:06 PM

Johnny828 said:
Lancool PC-K62 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's the one I got, and I find it excellent. Big midtower, 4 fans, dust filters everywhere air is sucked in, good airflow and cable management, completely tool-free, sturdy, you can also mod it to add an extra fan at the front.

Good case but not for this build - it won't fit the "as cheap as possible" requirement. :lol: 
m
l
April 5, 2012 2:07:16 AM

Best answer selected by Malek_Nyghtson.
m
l
!