Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Display and drives don't work and more.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 27, 2012 6:35:46 PM

I've searched a couple times, but none of the answers I've gotten so far have resolved my issue.

I don't know what happened, but one day I woke up and my computer had difficulty turning on. It would turn on, not display anything and the drives wouldn't work, then maybe a minute and a half later it would restart by itself. After the restart it still wouldn't do anything. I got it working after a couple tries, then I was afraid to turn it off, and a couple days later we had a huge lightning storm and blackout. Now it never displays, it just does the thing where it turns itself off and then back on. If I take the graphics card out and plug the monitor into the motherboard, it doesn't restart itself, but there's still no display and the drives don't work.

This is my first computer build, and I built it a couple months ago, so I'm relatively an amateur. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155
Graphics Card - XFX HD-695X-CNDC Radeon HD 6950 2GB

I'm really not even sure if this is a graphics or even motherboard problem for that matter.

More about : display drives work

a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2012 7:09:05 PM

MrJohn said:
I've searched a couple times, but none of the answers I've gotten so far have resolved my issue.

I don't know what happened, but one day I woke up and my computer had difficulty turning on. It would turn on, not display anything and the drives wouldn't work, then maybe a minute and a half later it would restart by itself. After the restart it still wouldn't do anything. I got it working after a couple tries, then I was afraid to turn it off, and a couple days later we had a huge lightning storm and blackout. Now it never displays, it just does the thing where it turns itself off and then back on. If I take the graphics card out and plug the monitor into the motherboard, it doesn't restart itself, but there's still no display and the drives don't work.

This is my first computer build, and I built it a couple months ago, so I'm relatively an amateur. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155
Graphics Card - XFX HD-695X-CNDC Radeon HD 6950 2GB

I'm really not even sure if this is a graphics or even motherboard problem for that matter.

I'm not sure either, I would suspect a power supply issue. Could you please list a more comprehensive hardware list? Esp the PSU.

Do you have this machine on a surge protector?
Score
January 27, 2012 7:50:21 PM

PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro M1000 Series Modular 1000W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K
HDD - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Monitor - ASUS VE258Q Black 25" HDMI LED Backlight
PCU cooler - Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Intel Core i7

Sadly I do not, and that's what I'm afraid of.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 7:17:09 PM

MrJohn said:
PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro M1000 Series Modular 1000W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K
HDD - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Monitor - ASUS VE258Q Black 25" HDMI LED Backlight
PCU cooler - Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Intel Core i7

Sadly I do not, and that's what I'm afraid of.

Ok, I had written a rather lengthy response but my computer crashed. Bottom line is that With that PSU, I would suspect the mobo. You say the onboard vdeo won't work either.

If you had a spare mobo, I would try that first. If you have another PC, or a friend nearby you could install the power supply in another PC just to check. Unfortunately without actually being there I can't see anything specific.
Try these troubleshooting steps if you haven't already:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
January 31, 2012 4:28:06 AM

Thanks, I really appreciate your help!
Score
January 31, 2012 4:28:20 AM

Best answer selected by MrJohn.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 31, 2012 12:05:18 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!