Sign in with
Your question

Internet and Server on same router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 26, 2011 5:58:04 PM

Hi. I have a wireless router which provides my internet. In another room is where I have all of my computers. I am setting up a home server with WHS 2011 on it to do backups of 3 computers, file sharing, and hosting some LAN games.

So I am buying a wireless router for my computer room that my server will be the WAN (I believe that's how I'd do it, correct me if I'm wrong). I also want to have internet on this router as well to provide a better signal.

So I guess what I'm asking is if I plug in my server as the WAN, how would I also get internet to broadcast from the same router? Or is it possible? If not, how do you recommend I set things up.

My computer room is about 100 feet away from my router and 3 or 4 walls.

More about : internet server router

June 26, 2011 11:52:35 PM

what kind of network equipment do you currently use? Make and model?

if the WAN port of the new router connects to the WHS and the computer to the LAN of the new router, you will not be able to backup.

Will your WHS connect to the Internet via a second network card?

I am not quite sure about how you are trying to connect all of the devices. please explain starting with the modem.
June 27, 2011 12:15:03 AM

Currently the only router I have is the one that serves my internet. I am looking inyo getting a second one. The primary goal of the second router is to have a wireless network connection to my Windows Home Server so I dont have to have a bunch of wires, and I could access it from my laptop from anywhere in my house.

What I am after is I have a poor internet connection strength in my computer room, so everything is connected via ethernet cable from my internet router. I am wondering if it would be possible to use my second router as a wifi 'waypoint' if you call it that so all of my computers can be completely wireless and get the internet and my server connection from the same router (my second one)

I still havent purchased the second router, so maybe some suggestions on which one I should get would be helpful. My target budget is $50ish

Thanks for your patients. I have no real previous networking experience. :) 
Related resources
June 27, 2011 1:55:02 AM

Hey, I was thinking. If I plugged my WHS and the internet into a switch box, then plug in my second router into the switch as well, would that work?
June 27, 2011 3:37:15 AM

I have use this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.0.1. Type exit to close the black form.

turn off the DHCP and change the LAN IP to the Gateway IP but ending in 253.

finally connect one of the four LAN ports to your main router

This how you setup a router as an AP (Access Point)
June 27, 2011 3:50:07 AM

Where do I plug the internet LAN into? My LAN on my new router?
June 27, 2011 3:55:49 AM

Yes you need to connect the LAN port of the Old router to the LAN port of the New router
June 27, 2011 3:57:57 AM

Oh! Will it broadcast to my WHS too? (my whs is on the WAN of the new router)
June 27, 2011 4:44:51 AM

when you talk about WAN do you mean wireless?

WAN = Wide Area Network and is the connection coming from your ISP plugging into the WAN/Internet port on a router.

WLAN - Wireless Local Area Network.

June 27, 2011 12:49:22 PM

WAN I believe. The one that broadcasts to LAN, right?
June 27, 2011 8:13:50 PM

what kind of internet connection do you have?
June 27, 2011 9:20:12 PM

Wireless from a local brand, Symplified Technologies located in Central Washington. Its only 1mbps because that's the best that I can get around here ungortunately. Its not satelite, DSL or Dialup if you were wondering
!