Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD FX 8150 Overheating

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
July 17, 2012 9:13:39 PM

I am currently experiencing an issue with my processor overheating when under light load. Before I continue, here is a a breakdown of what I am dealing with.
Processor: AMD FX 8150
Mother Board: Asus Crosshair V
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb X2
Video Card: ATI by ASUS 6950 2gb ddr5
After Market Heat Sink: Cooler Master GeminII S521
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5
Power Supply: kingwin mach 1 1000watt
Case: Cooler Master HaFX with all included and optional fans

All temperatures are from asus program FAN EXPERT.

I have idle temps of 43 Celsius when I start my computer, but as soon as I start pretty much any program the temp spikes to between 50, and 55 c. If I try to play any game, like Skyrim, or Deus X, the temps spike to 60c and above very rapidly.

I have tried reinstalling my heat sink several times using varying amounts of thermal paste, as well as different orientations of the heat sink nothing seems to help.

Another thing I noticed, when I change the fan speed on my Graphics Card to manual, the temps spike then as well could this be a power problem?

I am fairly new to custom computers, and I welcome any input as to what I am doing wrong, or what I can check to fix my problem.

More about : amd 8150 overheating

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 17, 2012 9:28:46 PM

Are you overclocking you're processor?

Second, 60C is not that hot.

Third, have you checked your BIOS options to see if maybe you have a "Silent" option set that will run the CPU fan at a really low speed to eliminate noise?

Fourth, your PSU is supplying you with about double the power that you need for this build so I doubt it's a power problem.
July 19, 2012 1:40:07 AM

Thank you for the idea jsrudd.
It doesn't look like it was the bios, but that comment got me thinking about other settings that I had played with after I built my computer. Preliminary temperatures show that it was quite possibly a setting that I changed in the ASUS program EPU control panel, which changes settings to fit performance, or power saving. I had changed the setting for performance, and had forgotten about it. I have changed it back and I am getting temperatures in the low to mid 30 C. range. And not much hotter while playing SKYRIM at max settings.
Thanks alot for your input. I will let you know if this continues to be the solution.
m
l
July 19, 2012 1:41:16 AM

Best answer selected by jpeckham.
m
l
April 21, 2013 4:58:06 PM

jpeckham said:
Thank you for the idea jsrudd.
It doesn't look like it was the bios, but that comment got me thinking about other settings that I had played with after I built my computer. Preliminary temperatures show that it was quite possibly a setting that I changed in the ASUS program EPU control panel, which changes settings to fit performance, or power saving. I had changed the setting for performance, and had forgotten about it. I have changed it back and I am getting temperatures in the low to mid 30 C. range. And not much hotter while playing SKYRIM at max settings.
Thanks alot for your input. I will let you know if this continues to be the solution.

I have the same problem you did. How exactly do I change to a power saving mode in the AI suite ? Think I've found my way to the EPU section, but there doesn't seem to be any options to change.

m
l
!