jpeckham

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I am currently experiencing an issue with my processor overheating when under light load. Before I continue, here is a a breakdown of what I am dealing with.
Processor: AMD FX 8150
Mother Board: Asus Crosshair V
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb X2
Video Card: ATI by ASUS 6950 2gb ddr5
After Market Heat Sink: Cooler Master GeminII S521
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5
Power Supply: kingwin mach 1 1000watt
Case: Cooler Master HaFX with all included and optional fans

All temperatures are from asus program FAN EXPERT.

I have idle temps of 43 Celsius when I start my computer, but as soon as I start pretty much any program the temp spikes to between 50, and 55 c. If I try to play any game, like Skyrim, or Deus X, the temps spike to 60c and above very rapidly.

I have tried reinstalling my heat sink several times using varying amounts of thermal paste, as well as different orientations of the heat sink nothing seems to help.

Another thing I noticed, when I change the fan speed on my Graphics Card to manual, the temps spike then as well could this be a power problem?

I am fairly new to custom computers, and I welcome any input as to what I am doing wrong, or what I can check to fix my problem.

Solution
Are you overclocking you're processor?

Second, 60C is not that hot.

Third, have you checked your BIOS options to see if maybe you have a "Silent" option set that will run the CPU fan at a really low speed to eliminate noise?

Fourth, your PSU is supplying you with about double the power that you need for this build so I doubt it's a power problem.

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Are you overclocking you're processor?

Second, 60C is not that hot.

Third, have you checked your BIOS options to see if maybe you have a "Silent" option set that will run the CPU fan at a really low speed to eliminate noise?

Fourth, your PSU is supplying you with about double the power that you need for this build so I doubt it's a power problem.

Solution

jpeckham

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Thank you for the idea jsrudd.
It doesn't look like it was the bios, but that comment got me thinking about other settings that I had played with after I built my computer. Preliminary temperatures show that it was quite possibly a setting that I changed in the ASUS program EPU control panel, which changes settings to fit performance, or power saving. I had changed the setting for performance, and had forgotten about it. I have changed it back and I am getting temperatures in the low to mid 30 C. range. And not much hotter while playing SKYRIM at max settings.
Thanks alot for your input. I will let you know if this continues to be the solution.

BenMale

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

I have the same problem you did. How exactly do I change to a power saving mode in the AI suite ? Think I've found my way to the EPU section, but there doesn't seem to be any options to change.