Motorola SBG6580 connecting Xbox 360

big10champ

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hello, I am a comcast customer. Just got a Motorola SBG6580 surfboard modem / router. I am trying to use the wireless on my xbox 360 for on line gaming. When I configure my network on the xbox 360 it finds my SBG6580 right away but won't connect. What am I doing wrong?

compproblems

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

I'm having the same problem! I can see and connect to the network, but the gaming adapter I'm using isn't transmitting to the router/modem.

3Liptak

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
I have Comcast, XBox 360 and the SBG6580. It all works great, but the Xbox is ethernet wired to the gateway and the xbox is set up as a DMZ. Is there any way you can wire it direct to trouble shoot and then move to wireless when it is working. I know the ports can be an issue, but making it a DMZ should take care of it.

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Be hard to locate the problem if you hard wire it. When hard wired you pretty much bypass most of the stuff that could foul up your wireless signal. For instance you would not need to input any of the routers security information if you hard wired it.

So making sure you have security enable would be my first step (to avoid people from leaching off your wireless)
Second would be making sure the router is set up to use DHCP, and checking all security settings (writing them down)
Then I would be making sure i input all of the needed information into the Xbox correctly
SSID name, Type of security (WEP, WPA or whatever), TKIP or AES, and the security key (and passphrase is it has one)

It would surely narrow down why it isn't working and eliminate the most commonly missed parts.