Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for Windows XP

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 15, 2005 4:37:31 PM

Allows preview, organizing and printing of Canon CRW and CR2 and Nikon
NEF files.

High image quality. This software uses the camera vendors' own
processing libraries
to provide the highest possible image fidelity for RAW images.

Superior color fidelity. Windows Image Color Management (ICM) is used to
render
images in the correct color space as determined by the photographer when
the image
was captured.

You can't save the RAW file as another format such as JPEG or TIFF.

Deryck
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 4:37:32 PM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:37:31 +0100, deryck lant <deryck@deryck.com>
wrote:

>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>
>Allows preview, organizing and printing of Canon CRW and CR2 and Nikon
>NEF files.
>
>High image quality. This software uses the camera vendors' own
>processing libraries
>to provide the highest possible image fidelity for RAW images.

Oh, so they use the less powerful software provided on the cheap by
the camera vendor?

>Superior color fidelity. Windows Image Color Management (ICM) is used to
>render
>images in the correct color space as determined by the photographer when
>the image
>was captured.

A big mistake. Frazer suggest when working with raw to use ProPhoto
RGB as the working color space and not sRGB or Adobe RGB 1998 which
the camera provides.

You do know that raw is independent of the color space set in the
camera which is the whole purpose of using it?

>You can't save the RAW file as another format such as JPEG or TIFF.

So, why bother since you can adjust it either.

Are you a shill for MicroSerf or just ignorant?

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 6:13:36 PM

The message <313030303138393542B0210B77@deryck.com>
from deryck lant <deryck@deryck.com> contains these words:

> Allows preview, organizing and printing of Canon CRW and CR2 and Nikon
> NEF files.

> High image quality. This software uses the camera vendors' own
> processing libraries
> to provide the highest possible image fidelity for RAW images.

> Superior color fidelity. Windows Image Color Management (ICM) is used to
> render
> images in the correct color space as determined by the photographer when
> the image
> was captured.

> You can't save the RAW file as another format such as JPEG or TIFF.

Saving in another format will be added later.

Even so will be welcomed by all the D2X users for the correct colour
rendering it gives all the downloaded NEF images. Something that CS2
doesn't do now.

Here's another free download:

http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/

Of course life is a big problem if you don't have broadband.

Deryck
June 16, 2005 3:01:38 AM

Its quite a good tool if you want to only view your RAW s/ware.
At least for us in the Nikon camp :)

=bob=

"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:01:39 AM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:01:38 +1000, "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote:

>Its quite a good tool if you want to only view your RAW s/ware.
>At least for us in the Nikon camp :)

The only reason to just "view" your RAW is to sort them for the work
flow where you will want to do more than just view. Bridge does a much
better job of this.

What you are seeing here is a very compromised image starting with the
limited color space imposed by the camera EXIF data.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:01:40 AM

John A. Stovall wrote:

> The only reason to just "view" your RAW is to sort them for the work
> flow where you will want to do more than just view. Bridge does a much
> better job of this.

Yes and I don't have the latest PS CS yet so this could be real handy
for sorting. Currently I shoot raw + jpeg for quicker sorting. I'm
hesitant to bother downloading though until someone reports this thing
is actually reasonably fast and useful.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> John A. Stovall wrote:
>>
>> The only reason to just "view" your RAW is to sort them for the work
>> flow where you will want to do more than just view. Bridge does a much
>> better job of this.
>
> Yes and I don't have the latest PS CS yet so this could be real handy for
> sorting. Currently I shoot raw + jpeg for quicker sorting. I'm hesitant to
> bother downloading though until someone reports this thing is actually
> reasonably fast and useful.
>

> --
> Paul Furman
> http://www.edgehill.net/1
> san francisco native plants

Works like a charm on XP Pro.... took them long enough to come out with it
though.

Jim Kramer
!