pat47

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Hello,
The key the keyoard does not execute commands. Example: I hit space and the curser jumps to another location on the page. See the example below.

"pageon on oard does not execute commands. Example: I hit space and the curser jumps to another locati"

I typed the top texted and looked up an saw the cursor had jumped back to the line above and inserted intself mid sentence.

(1) keyboard hardware is broken. Try a different keyboard.

(2) keyboard driver is corrupt. See if you can mouse into Device manager (right click 'computer' --> properties --> device manager. Open HID. Find and delete anything that looks like a keyboard. Reboot. Windows will find and install correct driver.

beefybish

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
This is usually caused by your wrist or arm brushing the touch-pad when you type (especially near the space bar), and moving the cursor to another location.

If you look at the touch-pad while typing and see if this is maybe happening. If it is, in the control panel you can change the settings so the touch-pad is temporarily turned off while you type

As you're using a laptop, tsnor's first suggestion is probably useless to you, but his second one is a good idea. Make sure you have the driver disc for your laptop (probably provided when you bought it) just in case

Hope this helps

Oddly enough laptops can use external keyboards too. (Edit: but I hadn't picked up the Toshiba--> laptop clue until you pointed it out)

aside: I like your touchpad theory. Neat, right angle thinking. I've seen a laptop reposition the cursor when weight was placed on the lower right corner so yes, touch pad related problems could be root cause.