Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Power Supply has wrong/absent supply for GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 27, 2012 11:17:05 PM

Hello,

I just got a new dell and went to put in my graphics card when I discovered it did not have the 6 prong power supply to power my GPU. All it has extra are the very skinny ones used to power hard drives and the like. Is there an adaptor to make one of those a 6 prong power supply for my GPU? I JUST got the computer. Maybe I should send it back or re-sell it? Really frustrated right now.
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 27, 2012 11:42:38 PM

Do you have any of the larger 4-slot MOLEX power leads from the PSU? If so, a plug-in converter pigtail should be in your graphic card box. If not, you won't be able to use the card in that computer without replacing the power supply.
Score
January 27, 2012 11:59:51 PM

Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2012 12:59:01 AM

In general if your power supply doesn't have the necessary connectors for a gpu then it probably is not powerful enough to supply your gpu reliably. Also considering your using a Dell, I'm more than sure that you are playing with fire by trying to install that gpu.
Score
January 28, 2012 1:15:37 AM

It's actually the REALLY skinny plugs. Not the chunky ones in the pics you show. I'm not sure how many watts the PS is but can look. I have a 460 in my other machine. The thought of switching out power supplies scares me a lot. I successfully installed the GPU into my old computer. Why do you say playing with fire in regards to Dell? The problem is the lack of power cabling. Surely there must be a converter for these power cables.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 28, 2012 1:19:40 AM

SATA Power connectors? I've never seen adapters to turn those into 6 pins, but I don't really peruse the cable section of Newegg very often.

If its a normal size Dell (not slimline) it is just standard ATX. You could purchase a better PSU that has the necessary cables AND that you KNOW has the correct amperage on the 12v.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2012 1:21:11 AM

What GPU do you have? The power supply will have a label stating voltages and amperages. What does you power supply show, particularly for the +12Volt amps?
Score
January 28, 2012 1:27:37 AM

Yeah I think it's a SATA. Here is a pic.

http://pbckt.com/pZ.UQPOzE

I don't have the Dell open at the moment that is the same plug that the Dell had extra. Feel ao stupid for not buying one with a card never occurred to me the price difference was also for the power supply.

Isn't switching out a power supply a very arduous task that if you mess up destroys your computer? That would be last resort territory for me. I'm sure I could deal with the drives but the mother board scares me. Like is said I have the ps from the other machine that worked and was big enough.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 28, 2012 1:29:49 AM

Yeppers, thats it.

No, changing a PSU isn't that traumatic. I just did it the other day, very easy. Just remember to not force any connectors in. Just be careful with the mobo. Heck, I just picked my whole one up the other day and moved it to a new case. Just don't do it on carpet so you don't risk static discharges. And even if you do hit the mobo with static, chances are it will not hurt it. We just like to be extra careful around here.
Score
January 28, 2012 1:30:16 AM

Oh it's a gtx 550 ti by gigabyte.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 28, 2012 1:31:40 AM

I know the EVGA 550ti (which is overclocked) need 24A on the 12v (I know because I was looking at one today :D ). So the Gigabyte one will be similar, if a little tiny bit less.
Score
January 28, 2012 1:49:39 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
What GPU do you have? The power supply will have a label stating voltages and amperages. What does you power supply show, particularly for the +12Volt amps?

So I just opened the old system to peak at the PS (the Dell is downloading stuff at the moment). So here is a pic of the ps info: http://pbckt.com/pZ.UQPChu

It was 12v 14A and card says it should have been 24A but it was a dual core not the i7 3.2ghz it mentions on box. This was the ps I was thinking of transferring. Sounds like I need to buy a new one. What's that gonna run? Wife is going to kill me.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 28, 2012 1:58:21 AM

It has two 12v rails which are a combined 29A, should be fine (maybe, I stick with single rail PSU's :D )
Score
January 28, 2012 2:11:14 AM

btw, do you have a standard size case, or a slim line?
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 28, 2012 2:17:36 AM

That XFX is a great supply. If you need cheaper, Antec makes some quality, cost-effective units.
Score
January 28, 2012 2:26:39 AM

the antec earthwatt psu are amazing, but the amperage is spread over two rails
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 28, 2012 2:33:48 AM

ebola28 said:
the antec earthwatt psu are amazing, but the amperage is spread over two rails

If he wants single rail, the Antec Neo Eco and High Current Gamer (same PSU, just different packaging and coloring) are a single +12 and less than the XFX.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a c 144 ) Power supply
January 28, 2012 2:48:31 AM

When you change out your PSU, make a list of all the connectors that you unplug.

Then follow the list in the reverse order when you install the new PSU.
Score
January 28, 2012 5:11:52 PM

Would this one work: http://www.frys.com/product/5872033

I don't want to wait for shipping if I can help it. I've been waiting for days to get this new comp and just want it up and running. The transfer of stuff takes so long it would be nice to get set up this weekend. Thanks everyone for all your help!
Score
January 28, 2012 5:23:08 PM

Btw it's a mid-tower case.
Score
January 28, 2012 10:21:27 PM

i don't like or trust CM PSU in the low price range.
Score
January 28, 2012 10:24:38 PM

the only cooler master PSU i trust are the silent pro series
Score
January 28, 2012 10:36:41 PM

Lepa is made by enermax, which is a great company for PSU's
Score
January 29, 2012 7:20:50 PM

Thank you all for all your replies. If I have a $40 budget (the cheaper the better) without sacrificing too much quality what power supply should I go for. I need a 12V+ rating of 24a and I guess 400w minimum. It also needs to have PCI slot power cable preferably bundled with it. If need be I can take a Molex adapter out of my old machine. In which case it would need cabling for two sata's, the motherboard and then either two molex or preferably on PCI cable. Any suggestions. I'm still a bit fuzzy on if I need 12v+ that is "ATX" is that what I need? I also would like the simplest possible thing (people are talking about multiple vs single rails and not sure what that means).

Thanks in advance!
Score
January 29, 2012 7:26:49 PM

Would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Diablotek-400-Watt-Power-Supply-P...

is that a horrible brand? I want something that will work for awhile obviously and one that isn't going to blow up or otherwise be of horrid quality. We have an Amazon gift card to defray the cost a bit, but are very VERY tight on cash at the moment. Computer cost came at a very bad time.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 29, 2012 7:34:46 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have the PSU in the computer I'm typing on right now. Great PSU, great price on Newegg. It doesn't come with a power cable though, use your old one (Antec is trying to "save the environment"). Has 1 PCI-e 6-pin, 400w CONTINUOUS (not max like most companies rate as), 30A on 12v, 4 Molex, 5 SATA, and a Floppy connector (if you need it...lol)

This would also work and is a little cheaper, but not 80 plus certified (and still Antec, but it will draw a little more power from the wall than the Neo Eco): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Having seen budget PSU's catch on fire, I would recommend Antec, XFX, and Seasonic pretty much exclusively. You get what you pay for with PSUs.
January 29, 2012 7:50:58 PM

diablotek's name fits, its that bad. both of vettedude's are FAR better. and to add to his list, corsair and enermax
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 29, 2012 11:52:34 PM

Yes that is it.
Score
January 30, 2012 4:07:41 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied I think I'm going to go with Vette's suggestion. Will update once its enroute and then let you know how it goes. Really appreciate all the help!!!!
Score
February 3, 2012 3:05:14 AM

Woohoo! I did it! I installed it all by myself and the graphics card works! Huzzah! Thank you so much to everyone who gave helpful suggestions and the confidence to do it myself. Thanks a million guys and gals!
Score
February 3, 2012 3:13:37 AM

nice! congrats
Score
February 3, 2012 1:45:34 PM

Best answer selected by Powersupplywoes.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2012 1:53:02 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!