PSU low voltages under load

flopex

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
:( I've been having a problem with my build lately, my computer will just poweroff(reboot) whenever it is under a load. I suspect it is the PSU since it reads low voltages
(Under no load) 11.5V - 11.9V
(With load)11.0V -11.4V

I've checked these values with a multimeter(Only no load).

However, I've unplugged my graphics card from my build and then my computer doesn't poweroff as often(but it still does sometimes).

I really don't want to RMA it since the shipping costs are half the price of the PSU itself. Any other suggestions?

Here are my specs:

ASUS P8H67-V
Corsair CX600W PSU
Intel Core i5-2400
EVGA GTX 550 Ti
Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD

hairystuff

Distinguished
I have a similar spec setup minus the SSD but with 4x 1Tb seagates HDDs and 2 optical drives, graphics card being the same except the manufacturer being zotac, I haven't suffered the shut downs or voltage drops, have you checked the cpu heatsink.

flopex

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

I really don't know what the heatsink has to do with my problem, but I've checked every component and everything seems to be okay. I'm not having any overheating problems, CPU has stayed between 22C - 35C relatively cool even at 100% usage. Have not done any OC on any piece of hardware. Thanks for the suggestion though.

hairystuff

Distinguished
If the heat sink wasn't seated properly it could cause a similar kind of error, the other thing that can cause issues is the 12v 4pin CPU connector if its making an intermittent connection (try wiggling it to simulate a loose or dry connection while its at the post screen, with the SSD disconnected), as for multimeters do you have an analog needle type as with them they are faster at detecting peaks and trough, do you have a spare power supply (or access to someone elses) you can test it with.

Check your 12V readings at load and let us know what the results. ATX12V standard specifies that the 12V rail shall be within +-5% of the rated capacity (i.e. 11.4-12.6V). If it's failling down to 11.0V then the PC is shutting itself down to prevent damage. You can also check the Event log to check the error codes associated with the shutdowns/reboots.

flopex

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

How do I check my voltages under load?
I've already checked the event log and it indicates

Kernel-Power 41: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

You said that you checked the voltages with a multi meter under no load...it's the same process when you put a load on the PC. By load i mean you should run Prime95 to put a load on the CPU and something like Furmark to put a load on the GPU.

flopex

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

I did revert to that version as well

TRENDING THREADS