Just built a beast... but having booting problems.... help !!

hexstatic

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Hi all,

I recently built a new PC, bought all the parts seperately and put it all together one afternoon a week or so ago.

Things were working well, however when I boot i get the error message something like "No boot media. Please select proper boot device and try again". This now happens every time I try to boot.

I dont know why this happens, Win 7 64 bit is installed and it should boot to this. I have set the boot priorities in the BIOS to only look at the my SSD for booting as it is the only drive which Windows is installed on.

To fix this problem I have to boot with the Win 7 CD in the CD drive then go through the disc to try find some startup errors, most of the time it wont find any and will just restart giving the same boot media missing error. I try to press F8 and boot to the SSD and then it works, but this is just by random chance that I got it to boot, booting to the SSD is the same as its setup in the BIOS so I wasnt telling it to do anything different.... I also have tried system restores, this doesnt help, it still says no boot media...

Im really stumped, I dont want to format and lose everything Ive freshly installed, all programs, drivers, etc im sure you can imagine... Any help would be much appreciated.

PC specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel i7 3930K
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth X79
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator 1600
GPU: MSI GTX 680
PSU: Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250w
SSD1: OCZ Vertex 3 Max Iops 120 GB
SSD2: Corsair P128
HDD1: WD CB 1TB
HDD2: WD CB 1TB

Many thanks for your help! :bounce:

Ryan

hexstatic

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011

Ive already set the correct boot order. Ive set it so the its the only drive in the boot sequence.

Disconnect all the drives other than the boot drive and take out all the ram except 1 stick.

Then start it again and see if anything changes.

The RAM probably has nothing to do with it, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Just to narrow down the variables, it would be better to use just 1 stick while troubleshooting this problem. One hard drive too.

g048989h

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Im no expert on SSD's, but I think I would go after the SSD, try trouble shooting it by unpugging, then plugging it back in. Make sure all connections are well seated on both ends. Then maybe remove HDD and try again with just the SSD installed. I might even try removing SSD and installing W7 on HDD and see if it boots fine from there if youre still having issues. I know the SSD's can be a little tempermantal. If you go at it like that you might find the issue, or gain more insight into the issue. Maybe someone else has more thought out trouble shooting directions. Have you checked the sticky's? Might be some steps in there for this sort of thing. Good luck. I will follow this thread, I'm building with an SSD now. If you solve it please post back what you did for the rest of us.

togan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah I had similar issues before I got "schooled" in how to use computer correctly.

I have same CPU as you,along with mobo...Make sure your RAM is "passed" under MEMTEST environment.

Also it states in manual that if having boot issues "load" DEFAULT PRESET (F5) in UEFI BIOS,notice the BOOT ORDER

it DEFAULTS to...DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THIS,or you will continue to have BOOT ISSUES. I had some bad sticks of ram,so I

am in the process of RMA mine...try checking out ASUS website for VIDS on OC\BIOS settings,I learned alot from watching

those...

Currently,running my rig at 4.2ghz 1.3vcore,8gb dual channel kit (RMA Corsair 4x4 Vengeance LP 8-8-8-24-T2) rock-solid with

temps under 50C gaming load.

PS. If I recall my boot order,it's like this 1.Windows Manager\UEFI 2.BRDD 3.SSD\OS

THAT IS WHAT THE BIOS DEFAULTS TO.

togan

hexstatic

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Togan and everyone, thanks for your posts.

I've done as Togan suggested and pressed F5 in BIOS to restore defaults, it moved my fan profiles to standard again so I had to change that back to all silent mode, but other than that its all default settings, especially the boot sequence and SATA modes.....

....and it booted first time! Straight into windows loading screen after post.

Its too early to tell if this has fixed it, its only been one boot afterall, but its a good sign so far!! :)

The boot sequence its defaulted to for me is, 1) Windows manager, 2) OCZ SSD, 3) DVD drive.

before I had it as, 1) OCZ SSD, 2) Disabled, 3) Disabled.

togan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

Good to see you got into Windows,however with the size of your RAM KIT 32BG 8x4GB,you should definitley RUN MEMTEST to find out if your RAM is good to go!!!

If you want to OC the CPU be sure to check out ASUS website for VIDS on BIOS settings,and what each settings does...quite an earfull of info...

togan

togan

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah my KIT was new as well...but still ended up giving me all kinds of BOOT ISSUES,STABILITY probs as well. You can contact Corsair directly for advice if you don't believe me...nothing is PERFECT in this World,especially when it comes to electronics...

The whole 10 is nice, but 7 is better than any number less than that.

8GB sticks, in particular, are known to have a lot of problems in general.

Besides that, its always a good idea to test the RAM in a new computer, because RAM is one of the parts that gives the absolute most new build problems.

hexstatic

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
thanks for your advice Raiddinn, I will be running the memtest tonight, i'll do it for +10 passes :)

I'll post the results :p

hexstatic

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
oh ok, ive only run it once before that was on my previous ram, a friend recommended 7 passes, look just over 4 hrs. I'll just set it going over night, if it auto stops after 10 that is good :)

hexstatic

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
OHH geeezz i didnt know that lol! It took 4 hours to do 7 passes with 6 GB of RAM a few weeks ago ! :(

this will be interesting.

TRENDING THREADS