Sign in with
Your question

New i7-2700K build

Last response: in Systems
April 4, 2012 4:54:46 PM

Here are my specs for a new build.
Curious if anyone has any input, suggestions, etc.

i7-2700K*
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
16GB DDR3 1600 GSkill Ripjaws X
MSI N550GTX-Ti Cyclone OC (GeForce GTX 550 Ti)
180GB Intel 520 SSD
1.5TB WD Caviar Black
Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W
Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus
Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B
Silenx EFX-12-15B Blue LED 120mm
Scythe Slipstream SY1225SL12L 120mm
LITE-ON DVD Writer Litescribe
Windows 7 Pro

*I've seen many people on here and NewEgg questioning the use of the 2700K over the 2600K due to what I'm guessing used to be a greater cost difference between the two (now only $15 difference on NewEgg). However, I'm getting the SSD and 2700K bundled together through employee discount so the SSD will almost be free.

I'm mostly curious about cooling noise.
I love the look of the Zalman and from videos I've seen and reviews, it sounds solid and quiet, even if the price is not justified. That SilenX fan gets great reviews, and depending on the current front fan's efficiency and noise level, I'll either replace it with SilenX or use Silenx in back and Scythe up top.

I've gone back and forth on the motherboard so many times. Previously, I had chosen the non-Pro version of the same board (basically 30 bucks less for 2 less SATA 6gb ports). I know a lot of people are ASUS haters, but I've never had bad luck with anything from them. I built a data server for my group at work with the i7-990x Extreme and the ASUS Rampage III Gene and it's on 24-7 and has been for 2 years, without a single hiccup. I've done the comparisons and I've yet to find a board that is genuinely better (not just cheaper) with the features of the one I've chosen. I looked at the 3 ASRock Z68 boards closest and overall they had nothing pulling me away, and I'm not a fan of Gigabyte or BioStar. I used to swear by MSI but none of the Z68 boards look comparable to me.

I have learned a lot in the process of selecting these parts though. I had previously thought that you could not run RAM higher than 1333 with the 2700K but with the XMP feature, I can use the 1600 and I've seen several accounts of people doing it with no issues so that was encouraging.

Would anyone like to chime in on this configuration?
Good/bad? Would really like to hear from someone else with this board/CPU combo and what RAM you're using and how it's going.

More about : 2700k build

April 4, 2012 4:59:45 PM

What are you going to be doing with this build? That GPU is pretty weak.

I don't like the PSU, how about a TX650?
I would rather get a HAF 912 or 922 for the case, much better airflow, as well as better aesthetics.
Also, for RAM, I would get Corsair Vengeance.

But if the CPU/SSD is cheap, then by all means, go for it!
April 4, 2012 5:15:36 PM

drop down to 2500k.for gaming,2500k>2600k or 2700k.
drop down to 8gb ram.it's more than enough.
550ti isn't a great gpu,at least aim for a 7870.
128gb 830 sammy for $200 is a great deal.
get f4 2tb hdd for $130.
change psu to xfx pro 550w.
hyper 212 evo is my advise but if it's a personal choice then keep the zalman.
home premium will save you some more bucks.
contribute towards a better gpu.
Related resources
April 4, 2012 6:30:02 PM

gary1 said:
What are you going to be doing with this build? That GPU is pretty weak.

I don't like the PSU, how about a TX650?
I would rather get a HAF 912 or 922 for the case, much better airflow, as well as better aesthetics.
Also, for RAM, I would get Corsair Vengeance.

But if the CPU/SSD is cheap, then by all means, go for it!

I could consider the HAF 922, although what they call a "window" is really a mesh screen and I specifially want a case with a nice side window. It does look a lot more bulky and I like the streamlined look better.
What's the advantage of the TX650 over Rosewill? I can't see it in the specs, besides being a better efficiency rating. What don't you like about the Rosewill (that statement sounded like it had no backing at all)?

As for RAM, I'm going with what I've seen and the Ripjaws get excellent reviews and I've seen many users with my same board/CPU combo that have success. What makes Vengence RAM better?

Here's a comparison between a 16GB Ripjaws Quad Channel kit, a Vengeance 16GB Dual Channel kit and an 8GB Ripjaws Dual Channel kit (which I had planned to get two of).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

Regarding the graphics, my friend has this same card and he's a gamer and says it works great. I'm not even much of a gamer, so if it works for him it will definitely suit my needs. I just want card because I don't want to put the extra workload on the 2700K.

April 4, 2012 6:38:02 PM

hellfire24 said:
drop down to 8gb ram.it's more than enough.
550ti isn't a great gpu,at least aim for a 7870.
128gb 830 sammy for $200 is a great deal.
get f4 2tb hdd for $130.
change psu to xfx pro 550w.
hyper 212 evo is my advise but if it's a personal choice then keep the zalman.
home premium will save you some more bucks.
contribute towards a better gpu.

Interesting advice, basically changing my entire profile without knowing my intended use.
As I said, I'm going with the i7 because it's in the Employee Discount program and the only i5 they have available is the 2500, not the 2500K. I'm getting the 2700K AND the 180G SSD for barely more than the price of the i7.

I do agree that I probably don't need 16GB of RAM, especially using DDR3 1600 but I can get 16GB for barely 50% more than 8GB. I've seen the 212 EVO and I do like it and reviews are solid but it seems people have a bigger problem with Zalman's price than its performance so I'll take my chances.
April 4, 2012 6:40:50 PM

I think Corsair is just more reliable, however, I have Ripjaws and it works fine. Also, I would get 2 sticks instead of 4, reduces the stress on mobo, plus less sticks to go bad!

As for the 922, there IS a blue version that has a window.

Rosewill is garbage. Corsair, Seasonic, and XFX are the only decent PSU manufacturers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you're not big on graphics, this one will do you better.

April 4, 2012 6:48:04 PM

gary1 said:
I think Corsair is just more reliable, however, I have Ripjaws and it works fine. Also, I would get 2 sticks instead of 4, reduces the stress on mobo, plus less sticks to go bad!

As for the 922, there IS a blue version that has a window.

Rosewill is garbage. Corsair, Seasonic, and XFX are the only decent PSU manufacturers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you're not big on graphics, this one will do you better.

I saw the HAF Blue and it's not bad, but also bulky just like the regular one and not even front panel USB 3.0. I will check out the video card.......$40 bucks more for minimal gaming doesn't seem necessary though.

I bet I could guess what you'd have to say about Athena Power PSU's, but that's what is in that data server I mentioned that has run 24-7 for 2 years. Do you really have enough info to back up your claim that Rosewill is garbage?
April 4, 2012 6:53:52 PM

I don't have anything right now, but I just heard (hearsay) their quality and reliability is crap. I think the Green Series are allright, but I would take my Corsair anyday.
April 4, 2012 7:38:15 PM

I understand what you mean, there is plenty of that which can be said for any company by someone who has had a bad experience. I'm sure Rosewill has some units that ship out DOA or die, just like every brand. Here's a 3-way compare between a Rosewill Capstone, Seasonic and TX650 V2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

That side-by-side makes it hard to choose.
If you read the reviews, the Seasonic seems to be the winner, plus it's modular.
The Corsair definitely has its share of DOA reviews.
April 4, 2012 8:51:04 PM

Taking what's been suggested into consideration, I think I'll keep the Ripjaws but start out with 8GB vs. 16GB, because I really don't need all that RAM. I like the lower profile of the Ripjaws over the large fins on the Vengeance and side to side comparison has both highly reviewed.

After the Seasonic comment and reviewing that 3-way comparison I like the Seasonic 620W, gonna give it a shot, mostly because being modular will help with cable management and reviews were very positive.

Still not sure about switching out the graphics card because I'm not much of a gamer so I'm not sure I'd benefit from it, and I've always favored NVidia anyhow. I may watch a DVD occasionally or watch HD videos online but nothing as intensive as the kind of games that require a really beefy GPU. If you can suggest an NVidia card that's better than what I selected and priced between that and the Sapphire, I'd be open to it.

Thanks!!
April 4, 2012 10:37:48 PM

If you really want the 550ti go ahead, but that is the lowest of nvidia's lineup (GTX series), it will still work well, but that card I linked is 160$ right now, and will be much better.
April 4, 2012 10:57:28 PM

hellfire24 said:

And why is this the case sir? Can't you just turn off hyper-threading ?
April 4, 2012 11:17:39 PM

yes you can turn off hyperthreading, but the reason for the move is its cheaper and you then have more money to spend on the graphics card where it will actually make a diff

2500, 2600 perform all the same when it comes to games
2550 2700 are slightly better only for their default clock speed increase.
and this goes out the window when ur talking K series as ur not using default clock speeds.
April 4, 2012 11:18:12 PM

gary1 said:
If you really want the 550ti go ahead, but that is the lowest of nvidia's lineup (GTX series), it will still work well, but that card I linked is 160$ right now, and will be much better.

Now that you've put your signature up with specs, I see that you're using the board I chose, with the RAM I chose, which makes it seem even more odd that you're suggesting Vengeance over what I chose, which you personally use. Anyways, back to video card. Like I said, not really much of a gamer, plus my current monitor max resolution is 1280 (failed to mention that before). Once I'm ready to invest in a monitor that's worthy of a better GPU, I'll grab something higher level.
April 4, 2012 11:29:22 PM

sharkbyte5150 said:
Now that you've put your signature up with specs, I see that you're using the board I chose, with the RAM I chose, which makes it seem even more odd that you're suggesting Vengeance over what I chose, which you personally use. Anyways, back to video card. Like I said, not really much of a gamer, plus my current monitor max resolution is 1280 (failed to mention that before). Once I'm ready to invest in a monitor that's worthy of a better GPU, I'll grab something higher level.

Vengeance doesn't fit with my cooler :)  However, G.SKILL, Crucial, Corsair, they're all good brands.

That works. Yeah, then just grab the 550ti, and perhaps wait till rest of 6xx is released and maybe even 7xx?
April 4, 2012 11:38:41 PM

HugoStiglitz said:
yes you can turn off hyperthreading, but the reason for the move is its cheaper and you then have more money to spend on the graphics card where it will actually make a diff

2500, 2600 perform all the same when it comes to games
2550 2700 are slightly better only for their default clock speed increase.
and this goes out the window when ur talking K series as ur not using default clock speeds.

I completely agree with you as far as performance. But since these have been released for sometime now, the price argument doesn't hold much weight. The price gap between the 2500k and say 2600k or 2700k has become small to the point where this isn't really an issue. So if he wants to get an i7 for 20 dollars more than an i5 then I would say go for it. Just more future proofing IMO
April 4, 2012 11:44:29 PM

How long you estimate till new games take advantage of hyper-threading? 1-2 years ?

Pressuming when that time comes your 2700 would own a 2550 (for e.g) even if they are the same now when it comes to games, I agree.
!