Jul 14, 2012
Which build would be better for gaming?

Build 1:

AMD FX processor 3.3GHz

AMD Radeon HD 7750

8GB RAM

Build 2:

Processor: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1Ghz

AMD Radeon HD 6670 (Which Graphics Card is better?)

8GB RAM

Depending on the GPU and CPU, which build could handle CPU-intensive games/Diablo III, WoW, other MMORPGS. Thanks.

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I think they should be even, even though the i5 is better for gaming nowadays what really matters is the gpu, I am not much of a AMD fan but in my little knowledge about it I think those cards are even

Diablo III doesn't care what CPU you use, most MMORPGs don't very much. But the FX CPU is not as adept to handling CPU intensive games as the 3450, problem is, you haven't mentioned any lol.

I think you've got it backwards for gaming though, you want a stronger video card if you have to pick between a strong CPU and a strong video card. I'd consider a better video card than both of those.

merandos

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Well, the 7750 is better than the 6670, but it does not justify givin' up the i5 for the fx, you can always change a GPU, its much easier than changing a CPU, and the upcoming games will need more CPU power, so get the build 2 and upgrade the GPU later....

and the upcoming games will need more CPU power,

No... They wont....

Brand new, shiny and right out of the box, doesn't care what CPU you use

CPU%20clock.png

Theres a new medal of honor game coming out apparently, going to use the same game engine Battlefield 3 uses (Frostbite 2). That game doesn't care what CPU you use either, and thats probably the heaviest duty game on the market today.

merandos

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

Nothing in mind, its just games like BF3 is very demanding and i've noticed a very noticeable difference between running it on dual core CPU and a quad core CPU.....just assumption

merandos

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

my main purpose of the 2600k is not for gaming no doubt, but am that kinda guy who goes for the more powerful CPU, then i can easily upgrade the GPU.....its always easier than changing the CPU that was my main point, hope you get it..

All CPUs are junk in 4-5 years, no matter how nice they are. Its folly to buy something with substantially more power than you need at the time. Sure, getting something a little better is nice, but ask the guys 4 years ago who bought the best Core2Extremes when all they needed was a Duo (and might have been wise to buy a Core2Quad) what they think of their "future proofing" decisions in hindsight.

merandos

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

Yup, you are right and i didn't say either of you rushin' on me was wrong :), but it is i5 which will be enough and decent one to game on, its not a 3960X or smthin'

So again my main point is, get the better CPU and you can easily get a better GPU later, even better than both cards he came up with......right ?

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rushin on you lol.

Well, I'd like to know the OPs budget, because I think he/she can have "the best of both worlds" rather than basically throwing a perfectly good (albiet lower end GPU away to make room for a better GPU at a later date that he/she should have bought in the first place). Its a question of balance, both builds have weak video cards.

I'd say the OP is better off dropping down to an i3 or Phenom II and upping the video card to something like a 6870 or even a 7850 if budget permits. That would be the better course of action.

Q6600 is six years old and still capable for gaming, especially when OC. Obviously latest and greatest CPUs are nice to squeeze every bit of juice out of a new GPU (plus all the tricks developers do to make games more demanding), we often forget what hardware is needed to get a game running at solid settings.

I meant the $1000 dollar Core2Extreme (QX9650) lol, I know the Q6600 is competent despite it's age. Mainly the point I was trying to get around to, and something I learned the hard way. With computers these days, you're better off both financially and performance-wise to buy a cheaper build that can do everything you need it to do at the time and then scrapping and rebuilding in 3-4 years rather than going all out on top of the line specs, spending thousands of dollars and sticking with it for say 8 or 9 years. (I did that with a Dell 8200, fully spec'ed out at the time (back in 2001 I believe), best of everything. Damn did those last few years suck. :lol: