Upgrading to 6870, will my PSU cut it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junk87

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
I bought a prebuilt pc off newegg a few years ago that has kept me going more or less on recent games. Its been falling behind on games like battlefield 3 and now the new star wars mmo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=83-229-193&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3#scrollFullInfo

Now im planning to upgrade the video card to the 6870 which requires 2 6 pin connectors and i dont believe this psu has any. It comes with adapters for the 4 pins that i have but ive read that it still might not supply enough power to the video card. Its all gibberish to me, i never really learned about rails and voltages and stuff.

My power supply seems pretty cheap, but im hoping i can slip by with it.

PSU specs

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/spec/getspec.aspx?n=POWERSUPPLY&v=600%20Watts%20-%20XtremeGear%20Power%20Supply%20-%20SLI/CrossFireX%20Ready

Will i be safe to use this with the 6 pin adapters?

Solution
For a system using a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

The XtremeGear 600 Watt (PSAZ-CP600), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 31 Amps should be electrically sufficient.

For a power supply that claims to be SLI/CrossFireX Ready there should be at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors wired to it.
Probably not. Your PSU is rated to produce 31 amps. This is great - for a 400 watt PSU. A good 600 watt PSU should be able to produce at least 45 amps.

Estimated power usage:
6870 - 12 - 14 amps
CPU - 6 amps if dual core, 10 amps if quad core.
Drives and fans - 2 - 4 amps.

Assuming your PSU is not overrated, it has plenty of power. It's just not in the 12 volt rail where it need to be. At the very minimum, I would get one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

Yes, nominally, it is not as powerful as yours, but:
It will produce its rated power.
It has a pretty heavy 12 volt rail (44 amps).
It is built by Seasonic, one of the best PSU builders in the business.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

The XtremeGear 600 Watt (PSAZ-CP600), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 31 Amps should be electrically sufficient.

For a power supply that claims to be SLI/CrossFireX Ready there should be at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors wired to it.

Solution

Junk87

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Cyberpower isnt known for their honesty or reliability so im not really surprised. Im shocked that the pc is still running at all after this long.

I looked around a bit and all ive seen is 4 pins, 3 of them are being used on case fans at the moment. I cant even find specs for this PSU on the net anywhere.

The pc shipped with all the wires tied up, it goes behind my hard drive mounts and i cant see if there is any more connectors back there

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
My advice is to run it. If your pc powers off or freezes after a heavy load, replace the PSU asap. Continued use with it locking, powering down will damage other components, like your motherboard. Spec wise however, I agree, you have the amps on the 12volt rails to handle it based on the specs and it shouldn't be an issue.

soidier37

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Well, I believe that the PSU should be able to run the hardware, but if you want some peace of mind, this PSU should do the trick.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=u1679118t3870022f9fp0dd0c0s701&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16817341047&Tpk=zs550

It's 35 AR.

While the PSU is indeed lower than the original 600 watt PSU, this one is 80+ bronze certified, so you know you aren't buying a piece of junk.

Assuming that you are not planning on cross-firing in the future, either PSU should suffice.

Any connector that has a wire with a yellow colored insulator jacket comes from a +12V rail.

On power supplies with multiple +12V rails the yellow jacketed wires will have a secondary color stripe on them to indicate which of the +12V rail(s) they are connected to.

Status
Not open for further replies.