Sign in with
Your question

Rate my $800 Gaming Build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
April 4, 2012 7:35:21 PM

Heya, I'm building a new PC for the upcoming Diablo 3. I'll probably also play a bit of Skyrim on it. At first I was going to go for an AMD build due to familiarity of the company in the past but with the tech reviews the way they are, I'll give Intel a first try.

Here's the parts I picked out so far.

Newegg Parts
Motherboard + Ram: Asrock Z68 Combo with 2x4 Mushkin Silverline = $134.98

CPU: Intel I5 - $205 after coupon

GPU: Sapphire 6870 $161 after coupon

HD: Crucial 128gb SSD $129.99

DVD Drive: LiteOn Dvd Burner $14 after coupon

Amazon

Case: Cooler Master Haf 912 $59.99

PSU: OCZ ModXStream 600w $74.99

(Already had) Monitor: Asus VH242H 23.5"
17" Nu 8ms
(Already had) Speakers: Logitech V-5500
(Already had) Mouse: G5 Mouse
Borrow Windows 7 Disc

All in all it cost me..... $779.95 with $40 in rebate cards

The motherboard seems like a good one to add onto later in the future. I'll have fun installing some extra fans, upgrading to 16gb ram, going into crossfire. For now I just want it to run Diablo 3 smooth as butter.

What do you guys think? :D 

More about : rate 800 gaming build

April 4, 2012 7:41:07 PM

If I were you I wouldn't trust those pesky mail in rebate cards. If they do work you often end up voiding your warranty by removing the upc off your product, Just keep that in mind.

Other than that your build looks good

m
l
April 4, 2012 7:47:42 PM

Plasmid said:
If I were you I wouldn't trust those pesky mail in rebate cards. If they do work you often end up voiding your warranty by removing the upc off your product, Just keep that in mind.

Other than that your build looks good

Ah, I typed that a bit confusing. That's the price before I claim the $40 rebates. I hope it doesn't void warranty to do so, I'll look into it.
m
l
Related resources
April 4, 2012 7:49:21 PM

Just to know, are you really spending 130 on the MOBO and 205 on the I5? Dont you need a better MOBO?
m
l
April 4, 2012 7:54:20 PM

Removing UPC code from the package for mail-in rebate does not void warranty. Manufacturers request consumers to send the product for RMA in the original status, meaning no hardware mod, not about the box. You are not required to ship the RMA product in the original BOX condition.

Based on my personal experience, you may even return the product whose UPC has been cut off from its box for refund, if it is still inside the retailer's return policy time window. I did it once with GTX 460 card at local Microcenter, just a day before 30th day, which is the end of the window.
m
l
April 4, 2012 8:23:29 PM

Looks pretty good, might suggest a better motherboard or ram, $130 for a motherboard and 8gb RAM sounds kind of suspect. Also, that 128gb Crucial SSD is awesome, however you might see that for your gaming PC once you install windows and necessary drivers thats about 30gb right there and with games running about 10gb a piece you will probably run out of space very soon. Get a 500gb or 1TB mechanical drive once you can afford it for storage and whatnot.
m
l
April 4, 2012 8:24:14 PM

1 - You will not void warranty by doing mail in rebates...bad info
2 - The mobo is fine for the i5 2500k, the only thing you get from going to a higher mobo is better oc'ing (quality parts) and more hookups etc. Not a big deal at all imo. He will be fine.

My recommendations:
-Get another PSU brand. XFX / corsair / antec...ocz is ok but I try to stay with the better reputable brands.
-I really do not know why your going with an SSD. You'll fill up 128gb fast, with only a few games on your ssd. Drop the SSD get a 700gb-1tb HDD for now..Get the SSD later. You shouldn't buy one unless you already have an HDD or are building a $1200+ computer. Also you will save about $40-50

Everything else looks decent.

Edit: To run games smooth you should be putting your savings into your gpu as much as you can atm with your limited budget. If you don't overclock you could save on not getting the K edition i5. I cannot tell which one you are buying from your description.
m
l
April 4, 2012 8:39:22 PM

hotthree said:
1 - You will not void warranty by doing mail in rebates...bad info
2 - The mobo is fine for the i5 2500k, the only thing you get from going to a higher mobo is better oc'ing (quality parts) and more hookups etc. Not a big deal at all imo. He will be fine.

My recommendations:
-Get another PSU brand. XFX / corsair / antec...ocz is ok but I try to stay with the better reputable brands.
-I really do not know why your going with an SSD. You'll fill up 128gb fast, with only a few games on your ssd. Drop the SSD get a 700gb-1tb HDD for now..Get the SSD later. You shouldn't buy one unless you already have an HDD or are building a $1200+ computer. Also you will save about $40-50

Everything else looks decent.

Edit: To run games smooth you should be putting your savings into your gpu as much as you can atm with your limited budget. If you don't overclock you could save on not getting the K edition i5. I cannot tell which one you are buying from your description.

I would agree with this. You did say crossfire down the line? Make sure your PSU can handle it. If needed the $$ saved on the SSD can net a gtx 560 ti as they are about 200 bucks or so...
m
l
April 4, 2012 9:59:00 PM

Ya, crossfire is a definite possibility down the line. 1 card should do for now and I'm sure the price will drop in a few months so I'll upgrade then.

I got SSD because I haven't ever experienced an SSD drive, I'd like to see how fast the operating system functions. I've got several external drives(1TB/500GB) so storage isn't a problem.

m
l
April 4, 2012 10:31:47 PM

SSD is great. Put your OS, browser, favorite game or two, and resource hungry applications that you use often on there. You will notice a big difference. Make sure you set your SATA config to AHCI before installing your OS.
m
l
!