[New Build] 2-4k home desktop for gaming / multiple raid file storage

derekmarch

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
I don't play a ton of games but I do want the ability to play whatever I choose smoothly. This computer is largely used for just browsing or interfacing with various devices at my house (cell phones, garmin, scanner, mp3 players, etc).

The biggest issue to me is massive data storage. I want my main HDD to be on it's own raid (probably raid 1, but if raid 10 were possible, even better). I also need a secondary raid 5 that I can setup (4x3tb HDDs or more would be nice) and I want both raids to be run on the motherboard.

So really the most important advice I need is which motherboard can handle two RAID setups the best, and which CPU/RAM I should get for it, and which video card(s). Price isn't a huge problem for me but if it could all fall within the 2-4 thousand range that'd be nice.

I plan to replace every piece of hardware including monitor but I don't really need advice on other items in the machine. I know a lot about building and whatnot but I am not current on my research into motherboards, cpus or video cards.

Approximate Purchase Date: whenever, as soon as I can I guess

Budget Range: 2-4k for entire machine, including peripherals. Not a hard budget though

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Ability to use multiple raids and have a main drive with a very large (6-12tb) secondary drive

Parts Not Required: I am replacing everything, but I don't really need advice on mouse/keyboard/monitor.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg (although I can buy from anywhere, newegg is just very convenient).

Parts Preferences: I don't know which companies are the best for mobos/vid cards, so no preference

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: if it's better

Monitor Resolution: N/A

Additional Comments: I will be buying a new case, so feel free to recommend. Thanks

Check out the Enermax Hoplite. It has a pair of 2.5" bays, and a 2-drive backplane for 3.5" drives in addition to space for four more internal 3.5" drive. There's also a 2.5"/3.5" dock on top.
If you are interested in RAID-5, I would recommend you invest in a controller card. Mobo RAID-5 tends to suck. Also, if your mobo dies, you wouldn't need to worry about finding an identical one for your RAID; an identical controller would likely be a lot easier to find if that died.

derekmarch

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hm... can anyone recommend a good raid card? And while I wouldn't then need a mobo with as many SATA slots I still would need a recommendation for a quality mobo, as I know the least about motherboards of all.