Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Questions regarding Open-Air-Test-Bench Cases

Last response: in Components
Share
July 18, 2012 8:12:49 AM

Hey all you lovely members of the best forum EVER! :hello: 

Here is a little background check and then question regarding open-air cases for my personal use!

The thing is, I am tired of having to open up my case to make continual changes/observations to my rig. Even if it is simply adding a fan, cleaning up cables or adding drives, it's a nightmare! Recently I have decided I want to re-seat my heatsink, which isn't a big job, yet it becomes fiddly with a vertically aligned motherboard and a tiny little window for getting to the backplate. I don't even want to consider changing motherboards....

SO, logically, I thought a test-bench would be of use. But this is my general-purpose (and only) computer, so concerns over dust gathering are important, especially considering I am currently staying in a carpeted room. There are also air-flow arguments and temperature arguments again open-air, yet many allow for fan set-ups which do provide effective cooling beyond room convection.

Does this sound like a stupid desire? If not, I'd appreciate if people could help me choose a suitable case. The main issue lies on dust prevention, are there any suggestions regarding some kind mesh casing I could sit above the test bench during use?

I found these two cases (I live in UK),
Lian Li PC-T60R
DimasTech Bench Table V2.5 Easy


Thanks in advance :) 
a b ) Power supply
July 18, 2012 10:11:19 AM

Well you no my opinion lol, as for dust prevention, its easy, just give it a clean once a week, end of story, as its open its easier to keep clean.
a b ) Power supply
July 18, 2012 10:13:34 AM

OH and some more pics of mine for you cos i no you love it :) 







Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 18, 2012 10:15:07 AM

The only thing i have done is to put a dust filter on the push 120mm fan on the H80 as you can see in the 2nd picture.
July 18, 2012 2:32:48 PM

Uther39 said:
The only thing i have done is to put a dust filter on the push 120mm fan on the H80 as you can see in the 2nd picture.


It's just so beautiful! :love:  :love: 

I have a few questions regarding that mighty fine rig :

1. If I was to use simply air cooling, would it run hotter than a case with airflow?
2. Regardless of what cooling system, is the thing extremely loud?
3. Would you disregard it for general purpose use?

Thanks so much :D 
a b ) Power supply
July 18, 2012 2:41:09 PM

I used to run it with a Titan Fenrir air cooler which cooled really well as theres a plenty full amount of cool air available as its not stuck inside a case, it was no more noisier than usual in fact a bit quieter as it runs cooler, yes you could use it for general use as long as your willing to clean it once a week, also invest in a couple of these like i have so to blow cool air over the ram and mobo heat sinks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antec-Spotcool-100-Blue-LED/dp/...
July 18, 2012 3:05:07 PM

Uther39 said:
I used to run it with a Titan Fenrir air cooler which cooled really well as theres a plenty full amount of cool air available as its not stuck inside a case, it was no more noisier than usual in fact a bit quieter as it runs cooler, yes you could use it for general use as long as your willing to clean it once a week, also invest in a couple of these like i have so to blow cool air over the ram and mobo heat sinks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antec-Spotcool-100-Blue-LED/dp/...


Hmmmmmm I see, awesome about the noise. I may use a water cooler, which I imagine is actually more noisy?
Well, I am willing to clean it once a week, surely that is simply blowing the thing with compressed air though. Anyway, if I was to create some kind of dust filter cage for the chassis, would that help?
a c 138 ) Power supply
July 18, 2012 3:30:15 PM

I like the idea of an open testbed, particularly if you are constantly fiddling with components.

But, it is a non-starter if you allow pets or small children in the room.

Airflow will be adequate, and probably better than it would be inside of a case.
If not, just have a small house fan direct more air to the rig.

For cleaning, just use some canned air whenever you need to.

One drawback will be noise. Fan noises from whatever source will no longer be buried and muffled within the case.
a b ) Power supply
July 18, 2012 3:36:19 PM

I use compressed air and a new shiny paint brush to remove dust.

I wouldnt build a dust cage it just makes it harder to get at, which is agaisnt the poit i think.
July 18, 2012 6:47:38 PM

Uther39 said:
I use compressed air and a new shiny paint brush to remove dust.

I wouldnt build a dust cage it just makes it harder to get at, which is agaisnt the poit i think.


Well for all the times it isn't in use, or getting parts switched on, it'll prevent dust build up?
a b ) Power supply
July 18, 2012 6:49:51 PM

Hi :) 

I will repeat what was said above...

It is a definite NO if a child EVER will be in that room, you could KILL them....little fingers love pretty lights and interesting things...

So think hard about it...

All the best Brett :) 
a b ) Power supply
July 18, 2012 9:14:23 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

I will repeat what was said above...

It is a definite NO if a child EVER will be in that room, you could KILL them....little fingers love pretty lights and interesting things...

So think hard about it...

All the best Brett :) 



OK, how is he ever going to kill a child by having an open case PC, please do tell me, seeing as the Ampage is minimal, infact having touched every part of my PC while its running and no having recieved a shock of any kind and why, simple really, all the dangerous electricity is confined within that sealed unit called a Power Supply Unit.
July 18, 2012 10:08:45 PM

Just to put it out there, little kids aren't an issue... I'm a young chap myself...
a b ) Power supply
July 18, 2012 10:34:43 PM

Uther39 said:
OK, how is he ever going to kill a child by having an open case PC, please do tell me, seeing as the Ampage is minimal, infact having touched every part of my PC while its running and no having recieved a shock of any kind and why, simple really, all the dangerous electricity is confined within that sealed unit called a Power Supply Unit.



Hi :) 

You are kidding right ???

Take a child, they stick their fingers in their mouth.... which makes their fingers wet, (perfect conductor) and then put their finger near your perfectly sealed psu...... and they get a mains voltage/amperage shock :(  :( 

In case you didnt know, a toddler can take a LOT less amperage than a teenager or an adult...then they DIE....


All the best Brett :) 
a b ) Power supply
July 18, 2012 10:42:15 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

You are kidding right ???

Take a child, they stick their fingers in their mouth.... which makes their fingers wet, (perfect conductor) and then put their finger near your perfectly sealed psu...... and they get a mains voltage/amperage shock :(  :( 

In case you didnt know, a toddler can take a LOT less amperage than a teenager or an adult...then they DIE....


All the best Brett :) 


Now your kidding right....

Mains amperage is sealed inside a PSU.
a b ) Power supply
July 18, 2012 10:51:52 PM

Uther39 said:
Now your kidding right....

Mains amperage is sealed inside a PSU.



Hi :) 

If you think so lol....

Do this....splash some water on your fingers, enough to make them drip, and put your fingers on the back of your psu.....

Actually dont as its dangerous.... but hopefully you will see my point....

The psu is NOT hermetically or electrically sealed....

All the best Brett :) 
a b ) Power supply
July 18, 2012 11:07:56 PM

The PSU case is not live so by merely touching the case you will not get a shock be they damp or otherwise, but obviously not so there running with water lol.
a b ) Power supply
July 18, 2012 11:18:11 PM

Uther39 said:
The PSU case is not live so by merely touching the case you will not get a shock be they damp or otherwise, but obviously not so there running with water lol.


Hi :) 

I didnt say the case was live....

Look if you dont believe me....ask a qualified electrician what he thinks about an exposed case with children or toddlers possibly in the same room...he will be HORRIFIED.....

All the best Brett :) 
!