BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
I want to get a router with built in firewall (which may be inherent to all, I don't know). What is a good one for a low price, like around $50-70 US? Not a wireless one, either.

Also, if I am running a router with firewall, do I need to run a software one as well? Sorry, these are simple questions, but I'm fairly new to firewalls and related things.

Thanks in advance,

Brandt

G

Usually these so called firewall on the routers just make it so your network is not "visible" fromt he internet. It will not block some ports that could allow hackers/virus to get in.

A good example was this Worm that spreaded thru a windows vulnerability, these little Firewall didnt stop them but a nicely configured one would have.

So I would say yes, run a software one, the one in the router is just another security layer but you should not rely on it entirely.

I would suggest linksys/D-link, these are the two I have the most experience with and they are really user friendly!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0