DSL Modem

celtictool

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Hello,
I am looking to buy a DSL Modem for a small business that preferably has wireless built-in. Does anyone have any suggestions for good modems to go with?

Solution
personally I like a modem and a separate router.

however you could get the ADSL router and use your linksys router, configured as a Access Point, closer towards the persons location that needs wireless.

celtictool

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

Thank you for that. I'll be sure to have the tech. guy take a look at it (they just sent me to research things and the tech. guy suggested that I should start researching here).

Since posting this, I've noticed that there seems to be a rather large discussion on whether or not to get a modem with the wireless built into it. Some seem to suggest that it's preferable to leave the modem to do its own things and get a wireless separate. When I initially posted the idea of combining them together seemed great (2-for-1 and all that), but am now starting to have my doubts. Are there any concerns that I should have about combining the two together? Especially since the there is only one person that uses wireless and they are rarely around (i.e. they are a field worker).

Lastly, the owner of the company has mentioned concerns about getting the wireless to operate from the location where we store the modem which is in a closet. The modem we currently have is located in this closet and no one really wants to move all of our electronic gear out of it. However, when we set up a Linksys 802.11g wireless access point (Model: WRT54GL; I think) in the closet we found that we could not get a very good signal. Given that there is only one person which uses wireless (but thinks they would need a very good signal) and we cannot move the location of our modem, would buying a(n) (A)DSL router with built-in wireless make sense or should we just buy a new modem and new wireless access point?

Thanks in advance.

I agree w/ Emerald. Besides the obvious advantages of being able to choose a router that better suits your needs independently of the modem (they really have much different requirements), something ppl don't always think about is reuse or resale. A combination dsl modem+router doesn't expose a WAN port, making it virtually worthless for reuse purposes, and by extension, limiting its resale value. I've seen it time and time again. Someone buys one of these combo devices, moves to cable or requires a new DSL setup as the result of a move, whatever, and then asks in this forum how they can reuse the old combo device. Then we have to give them the bads news.

Admittedly they are convenient, and have a smaller footprint, but as always with anything that increases convenience, you usually take a hit somewhere else in terms of features, security, reuse, etc.

TRENDING THREADS