WinXP SP2 adds OE Shortcut after being removed

In our corporation we like to frown the use of Outlook Express and have
removed it from PCs. When installing Windows XP SP2, when the user logs in it
recreates the shortcut under Start>All Programs> Outlook Express. Is there a
setting we can use during the installation of Windows XP SP2 to stop the
install of this particular shortcut from being reinstalled? I recall there
used to be network kits for previous service packs back in the day, but do
not believe SP2 had such capabilities. Anyhow, this is becoming quite an
issue with some of our PCs. They would like to have this disabled via the
installation of the Windows XP SP2.

It seems this shortcut is installed 'once' the user logs in the PC
'finalizes user settings' and it adds the shortcut back. We use LANDesk and
had a batch file setup to delete said shortcut but it runs via the "runonce"
key prior to the installation of the shortcut from the SP so it usually runs
too fast.

Any ideas?
3 answers Last reply
More about winxp adds shortcut removed

    Hi Jeremy,

    <quote>
    To remove Outlook Express shortcuts for all future profiles on an existing installation of Windows 2000, use Registry Editor to view and then delete the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}\Stubpath

    </quote>

    How To Remove Internet Connection Wizard and Outlook Express Icons from the Desktop in Windows 2000:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q250380

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Jeremy Lindstrom" <Jeremy Lindstrom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:86D1A4F4-B730-473D-9FF5-821DC711F299@microsoft.com...
[...]

    Hate to tell you this - It doesn't work in XP SP2. I've had that registry
    entry removed for a long time, and it's still gone. When I ran Sysprep on a
    PC that has SP2 installed, Outlook Express icon gets recreated EVERY time a
    new user logs in, the default profile is OVERWRITTEN by the Administrators
    profile (loosing all the adjustments that were made!), and I'm not sure
    (yet) what else it breaks. I'm not even sure that removing the registry
    entry in XP kept OE shortcut away originally, seems I had problems getting
    rid of it originally. The 2000 registry hacks don't all seem to work, even
    though MS says they should.

    Randy

[...]

    Hi Randy,

    It's the other way in my system. Even with StubPath value intact, OE Quick Launch shortcut is not created for new user profiles. (but a shortcut is placed in Start Menu Programs). So, it must be something else than the StubPath.

    >> the default profile is OVERWRITTEN by the Administrators profile.

    Have you tried deleting the OE shortcut from Administrator profile's QL folder?

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Randy Reimers" <rreimers.noSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eSiZweFvEHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
[...]

Configuration Outlook Express Windows XP