canon powershot s2 or Panasonic Lumix Z20?

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 15, 2005 12:42:00 PM

Please, help me to chose!
BOth have the big stabilized zoom, but I don't know which one is best.
Thanks
Manuel
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 9:07:32 PM

tramoman wrote:
> Please, help me to chose!
> BOth have the big stabilized zoom, but I don't know which one is best.
> Thanks
> Manuel

The S2 IS is too new to have many of its good points or problems well
known. Given that you can't choose otherwise between the two cameras, get
yourself down to the camera shop and see how both feel in your hands.
Which is best for you will not be what is best for me.

David
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 9:07:33 PM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:07:32 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
wrote:

>tramoman wrote:
>> Please, help me to chose!
>> BOth have the big stabilized zoom, but I don't know which one is best.
>> Thanks
>> Manuel
>
>The S2 IS is too new to have many of its good points or problems well
>known. Given that you can't choose otherwise between the two cameras, get
>yourself down to the camera shop and see how both feel in your hands.
>Which is best for you will not be what is best for me.

Here are over 30 owner's reports on the S2 IS.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodk...

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
June 15, 2005 10:20:33 PM

John A. Stovall wrote:
[]
> Here are over 30 owner's reports on the S2 IS.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodk...

... and similar reports on the FZ5 and FZ20 can be found at:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodk...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodk...

(The FZ5 is the more compact version of the FZ20, which I prefer).

Cheers,
David
June 15, 2005 10:58:41 PM

"tramoman" <tramoman@yahoo.it> wrote in message news:1118850120.407899.74450@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Please, help me to chose!
> BOth have the big stabilized zoom, but I don't know which one is best.
> Thanks
> Manuel

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s2-re...

"All-in-all I really like the PowerShot S2 and it gets my highest
recommendation. I think the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 is
more of a "photographers" camera with its sturdier construction,
manual focus ring, and hot shoe, with the S2 being more of an
all-around tool for still and video shooting."
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:30:09 AM

On 15 Jun 2005 08:42:00 -0700, "tramoman" <tramoman@yahoo.it> wrote:

>Please, help me to chose!
>BOth have the big stabilized zoom, but I don't know which one is best.
>Thanks
>Manuel

I'd have to give the nod here to the S2 -- partially because I own one
(being honest). But really, with: ISO 50 (vs. 80 for the FZ20), AA
batteries (vs. proprietary Li-Ion battery), raw SPEED on everything --
startup, shot-to-shot, review (Panny said to be responsive too,
although startup is 4.4s vs. 1.2s for Canon), twist-n-flip LCD for
flexible shooting (FZ's is a tad bigger, but fixed), best movie mode
in any digicam, Super Macro (0cm!!)... the plusses are _too many_ for
the Canon S2 IS.

The FZ20 gets props for the manual focus ring, hot shoe, and live
histograms.

In the end, I agree with David (in this thread). Go to your camera
shop and get both in your hands and take various types of shots. Heck
I'd even bring my own memory card (both of these take SD), take some
shots and compare results at home.

DIZZLE
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 12:56:00 PM