New i5-2500k is Sluggish

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Hey guys, I recently went out and purchased a new rig yesterday. I upgraded to a i5-2500k and an ASRock Z77 Extreme4. After putting it together, and starting it up with no problems, I installed windows and what not. I left it on overnight to finish a game install.

When I came back, my computer restarted a few times, and a red timer was going down on my motherboard. AFter I got it to work.. My computer just feels verrrry sluggish like with every click it needs to take time to process. What could be wrong here?

Xenturion

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
What do you have in terms of storage? A dying or damaged hard drive can easily slow up a system in the way you're describing. I'd try making a Live disc of Ubuntu and seeing if the speed issues persist in Ubuntu.

bloodymaze

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I would check your cooler. Is it properly fastened etc? Are all components fully plugged in internally? A red timer going on the board should have a list of things in the manual with which the number corresponds to.

Just check to see the features, ASRock has a lot of them, you may have inadvertently activated some.

Hope this helps.

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Well I have a Hyper 212 Plus installed, and Temps of the CPU are around 25-30C idle, so I don't think its the problem. But I could be mistaken. And Im using a regular 500gb HD thats about 2-3 years old, I wasn't having problems yesterday when I had a phenom 945 and an ASRock Extreme3 board in. Could the reinstall of done anything?

Komomu

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
I'd recommend just making sure everything is connected properly ie the ram ALL the cables into the mobo if the problem persists, then the hardrive might have been damaged in the move, check the disks for errors

Open the "Computer" window
Right-click on the drive in question
Select the "Tools" tab
In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

Komomu

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
I'd recommend just making sure everything is connected properly ie the ram ALL the cables into the mobo if the problem persists, then the hardrive might have been damaged in the move, check the disks for errors

Open the "Computer" window
Right-click on the drive in question
Select the "Tools" tab
In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.