Unable to downlaod pics to XP from Canon IXUS 700

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 15, 2005 1:03:47 PM

I am having nightmares trying to downlaod pics from my new IXUS 700
camera. I am trying to download to Windows XP SP2.
I've installed the software that came with the CD and also updated it
to the latest from canon website.
Everytime, I connect my camera, CameraWindow icon appears on the
taskbar but it doesn't bring any window to download pics.
I have tried several times re-instaling the software but no luck.
There's no drivers(WIA/TWAIN) for this camera on Canon site - I think,
because its PTP compatible camera, you should be able to plug and all
should work...

Has anyone seen this behaviour or know how to fix this...

I assume, as its PTP compliant camera, Canon are failing to supply PTP
extention files(INF) for Windows XP???

Pls help.
Thanks
Sandiyan.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 6:12:44 PM

sandiyan@yahoo.co.uk writes:

> Pls help.

I am not familiar with that particular camera, but an inexpensive
media card reader should make all these troubles with manufacturer's
software go away for under $20US.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

<sandiyan@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am having nightmares trying to downlaod pics from my new IXUS 700
> camera. I am trying to download to Windows XP SP2.
> I've installed the software that came with the CD and also updated it
> to the latest from canon website.
> Everytime, I connect my camera, CameraWindow icon appears on the
> taskbar but it doesn't bring any window to download pics.
> I have tried several times re-instaling the software but no luck.
> There's no drivers(WIA/TWAIN) for this camera on Canon site - I think,
> because its PTP compatible camera, you should be able to plug and all
> should work...
>
> Has anyone seen this behaviour or know how to fix this...
>
> I assume, as its PTP compliant camera, Canon are failing to supply PTP
> extention files(INF) for Windows XP???
>
> Pls help.
> Thanks
> Sandiyan.

I am not familiar with Canon Cameras, but I do have a Fuji and a Nikon. I
have now removed all of their supplied software from my Computer, because it
is not needed.

Connect your Camera using the supplied USB Cable and switch on the Camera.

Go to My computer, and the new Drive, which was not there before, (it is
your Camera).

Click through the Folders on that Drive, until you see the Icons for the
photo files. Then just copy and paste them into whichever folder, you
want, on your computer.

Roy G
June 17, 2005 10:12:07 AM

Thanks for replying to my query. I tried this and it didn't work. I do
not see a drive when I connect my camera. As soon as I connect I see an
entry for my camera in 'my computer'. And when I go into that and try
to download pictures, it complains that camera is busy...
Canon Tech support(via Web logging) is appalling... Those guys are a
bunch of jokers!

> I am not familiar with Canon Cameras, but I do have a Fuji and a Nikon. I
> have now removed all of their supplied software from my Computer, because it
> is not needed.
>
> Connect your Camera using the supplied USB Cable and switch on the Camera.
>
> Go to My computer, and the new Drive, which was not there before, (it is
> your Camera).
>
> Click through the Folders on that Drive, until you see the Icons for the
> photo files. Then just copy and paste them into whichever folder, you
> want, on your computer.
>
> Roy G
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 6:15:55 PM

On 15 Jun 2005 09:03:47 -0700, sandiyan@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

>I am having nightmares trying to downlaod pics from my new IXUS 700
>camera. I am trying to download to Windows XP SP2.
>I've installed the software that came with the CD and also updated it
>to the latest from canon website.
>Everytime, I connect my camera, CameraWindow icon appears on the
>taskbar but it doesn't bring any window to download pics.
>I have tried several times re-instaling the software but no luck.
>There's no drivers(WIA/TWAIN) for this camera on Canon site - I think,
>because its PTP compatible camera, you should be able to plug and all
>should work...
>
>Has anyone seen this behaviour or know how to fix this...
>
>I assume, as its PTP compliant camera, Canon are failing to supply PTP
>extention files(INF) for Windows XP???

You have the camera in "Play" mode, and not "Record" when you
connect it to your PC?

It should come up in Explorer as a 'Canon Ixus 700' (or similar) and
while it may not get a drive letter of it own you should be able to
copy the pictures to the desired location on your harddrive using
simple drag'n'drop or keyboard shortcuts for copy and paste.

If you view the properties of the camera you can select what will
happen when you for instance connect the camera in the manner
described above.
!