Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What is the most reliable pre-built gaming computer (Ironside???)

Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2012 3:57:14 AM

Look im aware that building a computer will be cheaper but, I want something tested and make sure it works when I open it. I looked through many sources and Cyberpower and Ibuypower are out of my list so this is what im considering for now Ironside computers. They are a small business right now not a huge brand but many people have said good things about them and are satisfied. Here is a link http://ironsidecomputers.com/ yes i know the music is cheesy... anyways people say they test their products and video stress it which is true. So thats why im considering them. But the problem is my dad... they are a small company and they have been in business for 2 years and rather wants me to buy something reliable. I don't know how im going to convince him (haven't shown him) but ALL IM ASKING is do you know any other computer company that is reliable

By the way this is what im planning to get for my specs- intel i5 2500k OC, hd 7870, asus p67, 8gb corsair vengeance, 1 tb hdd

UPDATE- I decided just to go to microcenter and build it myself thank you everyone
a b 4 Gaming
April 5, 2012 4:15:32 AM

If you live around DC I will build buy the stuff myself and build it and take it to your house so he can see it works before he pays anything.

Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you really. You are ruling out all the big names and all the other alternatives.

I don't know any companies that are overly different than the ones you mentioned. The established companies want their cut and the non-established ones are not going to be better than Ironside.
April 5, 2012 4:26:47 AM

Reliability has nothing to do with who built it (as long as it dosnt overheat with bad cable management)

Electronic components fail. its part of life, (death, taxes & BSOD's)
all you are paying for is someone has tested that the components are working 100% the moment it left the store.

This is why items come with warranties. you could buy 2 computers exactly the same and have 1 computer have every part inside have to be replaced in the first 12 months and the other has no issues.

its just really bad luck.
Related resources
April 5, 2012 4:35:50 AM

HugoStiglitz said:
Reliability has nothing to do with who built it (as long as it dosnt overheat with bad cable management)

Electronic components fail. its part of life, (death, taxes & BSOD's)
all you are paying for is someone has tested that the components are working 100% the moment it left the store.

This is why items come with warranties. you could buy 2 computers exactly the same and have 1 computer have every part inside have to be replaced in the first 12 months and the other has no issues.

its just really bad luck.

they have a 4 year warranty and they have very good cable management as seen on the video and its no extra charge for warranty and management. Fyi i have a microcenter close by my house

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
April 5, 2012 4:36:54 AM

A lot of it has to do with picking parts with really low failure rates compared to other similar parts, but some of it does have to do with bad luck.

I only suggest people get parts with the lowest risk of failure right out of the box, and I can't remember a time anyone ever came back and told me that something I suggested was DOA, but it can happen to anybody.

Also, I wouldn't say that BSODs are a fact of life. I never get any. I also don't OC to the breaking point either, which helps.

- Edit -
Micro Center isn't going to help you if you aren't going to build it yourself. Unless you are in DC and you go to Micro Center to get the parts and I come over to your house and build it for you.

We can tell you how to piece things together, but you would still have to do it if you want to bring Micro Center in the loop.
- End Edit -
April 5, 2012 4:43:32 AM

Raiddinn said:
A lot of it has to do with picking parts with really low failure rates compared to other similar parts, but some of it does have to do with bad luck.

I only suggest people get parts with the lowest risk of failure right out of the box, and I can't remember a time anyone ever came back and told me that something I suggested was DOA, but it can happen to anybody.

Also, I wouldn't say that BSODs are a fact of life. I never get any. I also don't OC to the breaking point either, which helps.

- Edit -
Micro Center isn't going to help you if you aren't going to build it yourself. Unless you are in DC and you go to Micro Center to get the parts and I come over to your house and build it for you.

We can tell you how to piece things together, but you would still have to do it if you want to bring Micro Center in the loop.
- End Edit -

I agree with you, according to your suggestions your pretty much saying ironside since they have 4 year warranties and they have very good cable management.
April 5, 2012 4:45:24 AM

Raiddinn said:

- Edit -

- End Edit -

and if he doesnt like ironside then ill go to micro-center then build it my-self cause every other website sucks
April 5, 2012 4:48:58 AM

Best answer selected by albinogoron.
April 5, 2012 4:55:48 AM

wow...I can't believe nobody noticed, that this thread is blatant spam.... the OP is obviously trying to advertise ironsidecomputers....not really looking for help....please stop the nonsense.
April 5, 2012 4:59:40 AM

@Raiddin
well if you have NEVER gotten a BSOD's EVER in your life you must have also never had a computer part fail or obtain a decent overclock. go buy a lottery ticket.

@albinogoron
the 4 year warranty is great. does not mean you will never have a problem in 4 years. just means if you do they will fix it.

it is very hard to pick components with good / bad failure rates. as typically it takes months / years to compile decent results. and considering the items are changing all the time its even harder to do. So unless you want to buy tech that is already 6months old to enure it wont fail then by all means. but how do u know that batch dosnt have issues from the 6-12month old era. See where i'm going?

If you looking to have 100% problem free computing its impossible to avoid. all you can do is check out the companies your lookin at and see what happened to other people who had problems.
Did they wait 6 weeks for a repair, did the business communicate with them well? Was the customer blamed for a hardware fault they did not cause? things like this.

COMPONENT FAILURE WILL HAPPEN, its only a matter of time.

This is highlighted in the server market.
Performance does matter yes. but it comes 2nd to reliability and problem response time.

Companies pay for uptime & problem response. not for specs.
April 5, 2012 5:08:47 AM

HugoStiglitz said:
@Raiddin
well if you have NEVER gotten a BSOD's EVER in your life you must have also never had a computer part fail or obtain a decent overclock. go buy a lottery ticket.

@albinogoron
the 4 year warranty is great. does not mean you will never have a problem in 4 years. just means if you do they will fix it.

it is very hard to pick components with good / bad failure rates. as typically it takes months / years to compile decent results. and considering the items are changing all the time its even harder to do. So unless you want to buy tech that is already 6months old to enure it wont fail then by all means. but how do u know that batch dosnt have issues from the 6-12month old era. See where i'm going?

If you looking to have 100% problem free computing its impossible to avoid. all you can do is check out the companies your lookin at and see what happened to other people who had problems.
Did they wait 6 weeks for a repair, did the business communicate with them well? Was the customer blamed for a hardware fault they did not cause? things like this.

COMPONENT FAILURE WILL HAPPEN, its only a matter of time.

This is highlighted in the server market.
Performance does matter yes. but it comes 2nd to reliability and problem response time.

Companies pay for uptime & problem response. not for specs.

Bro, don't bother helping....OP isn't looking for help...just spamming about ironsidecomputers...
a b 4 Gaming
April 5, 2012 5:30:41 AM

Actually, I believe that I said I don't get any BSODs. That is present tense, as in anything remotely considered the present is the time when I don't get BSODs. I have gotten them before in a time that nobody in their right mind would consider the present. Like a decade ago.

I had a hard drive that I got that might as well have been DOA on day 1. It was pulled out of a DVR and not really built to be used in a PC and still I didn't get any BSODs when I was using it. Windows had the toughest time recognizing it, but it didn't make any BSODs.

Sure, back in the Windows 95 days people got BSODs all the time (me less than others) because nobody knew how to write programs back then, but most programmers have figured it out since then. Direct hardware access caused all kinds of BSODs, but that has been pretty much eliminated these days.

Power failures cause a lot of random problems, but my case and PSU are overkill for my PC so I have really nothing to worry about on that front.

I don't play the beta driver game, so I don't get BSODs from that front. Nor do I really play buggy beta games either. I usually wait a year or so to play stuff so all the problems are ironed out in patches before I start playing.

Really, a lot of BSODs do come down to human error. Not picking the right parts and installing stuff they shouldn't, etc.

There is no good reason people today should have to be plagued by BSODs if they don't want to be.

Also, its not hard to pick components with low failure rates. As long as someone makes a conscious effort to buy parts with low failure rates, their risk of DOA hardware is very low and their risk of stuff failing before they are ready to upgrade it is equally low.

Also, 6 - 12 months isn't a bad lag time in computer hardware. IIRC, the i5-2500k, the single most suggested part on these forums, was released in January 2011 which makes it like 15 months old now. The 2120 was like a month after that and that is another big one around here.

AFAIK, most XFX PSU models (what I usually suggest, and it is a very common suggestion from others too) are about 2 years old now going on 3.

In fact, I contend that its even quite sensible that people primarily buy things that are 6 or more months old and to primarily use drivers that old as well unless there is some good reason not to.

I agree that component failure does and will continue to happen, but it is a risk to be brought under management rather than just ignored. Having a good warranty is one part of that, picking parts well is a much bigger part of that.
April 5, 2012 6:49:06 AM

ismaeljrp said:
Bro, don't bother helping....OP isn't looking for help...just spamming about ironsidecomputers...

no im not just because i mentioned it twice isnt spamming, I just said I heard good things about it, calm down
April 5, 2012 6:50:50 AM

So.. What's wrong with Cyberpower or iBuyPower again?
April 5, 2012 6:52:35 AM

I might as well go to microcenter then, its extremly close to my house, and ismael just because i mentioned about it twice doesnt mean spamming calm down. Anyways thanks for your help everyone, ill get my parts soon.
April 5, 2012 6:53:38 AM

gary1 said:
So.. What's wrong with Cyberpower or iBuyPower again?

i heard terrible customer service and they dont even test their computers they just turn it on
April 5, 2012 6:58:49 AM

Hell, send me the parts and I'll test it out for you. :) 
April 5, 2012 7:02:53 AM

gary1 said:
Hell, send me the parts and I'll test it out for you. :) 
good idea spongebob :)  I heard ibuypower sometimes is great but mostly bad especially with customer service thats why I give up pre-builds now and ima build it
April 5, 2012 7:03:45 AM

Good choice. If you need part suggestions, just let us know. (Seems like you got it though.)
April 5, 2012 7:09:32 AM

gary1 said:
Good choice. If you need part suggestions, just let us know. (Seems like you got it though.)

case- haf 922

cpu- i5 2500k

gpu- hd 7870 sapphire

psu- corsair 850 watts

western digital 1 tb

gigabyte z68 motherboard

8 gb of corsair vengeance

witcher 2 o wait thats not a spec
April 5, 2012 7:16:48 AM

albinogoron said:
case- haf 922

cpu- i5 2500k

gpu- hd 7870 sapphire

psu- corsair 850 watts

western digital 1 tb

gigabyte z68 motherboard

8 gb of corsair vengeance

witcher 2 o wait thats not a spec

Are you going to Crossfire? If not 650W is enough. I would also suggest a SSD if you can fit it in your budget. CPU Cooler? I suggest the 212 EVO.
April 6, 2012 1:59:03 AM

gary1 said:
Are you going to Crossfire? If not 650W is enough. I would also suggest a SSD if you can fit it in your budget. CPU Cooler? I suggest the 212 EVO.

I called up local microcenter they had a deal with corsair 850 watts me gusta overkill. And cooler master gemini fan for cpu. As for the ssd i dont think i can fit that on my budget
!