Is 460 Watt enough for a 1155 Intel Core i5 2300 95W 2,80GHz ?

Scaleo

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Hello,

I am going to buy a new processor, the 1155 Intel Core i5 2300 95W 2,80GHz.
And for that I also need a new motherboard that supports a ''1155 socket''.
And I want to know if the computer will run well once all the new hardware are installed, can a PSU of 460 Watt support those new hardware?
At the moment there is a motherboard with a ''775 socket'' and the Core 2 Duo E7600 @ 3.06GHz processor and a GTX550 Ti GPU in the case, and everything works fine, will this case support a motherboard with a ''1155 socket'' and the 1155 Intel Core i5 2300 95W 2,80GHz?

Thank you for reading.

ForYourHealth

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I would leave at least 300W for the graphics card, which brings you up to around 400W, just for the GPU and CPU. This means that you are pushing it and you certainly aren't leaving yourself any leeway for adding future components that will also require some wattage.

If you can afford it, I would get yourself something a bit higher, just to "future-proof" your PSU a bit. Maybe 500-600W, you don't need to go absolutely crazy.

G

Save yourself from troubles the PSU is the most important part of the system after years with pc's you will be lucky if this is that last part will be stop working. If the 12 volts trail has a drop under 9 volts the problems start to visible to you.

The pc is not only graphic card and cpu and sometimes the power consummation is not always coming as is printed on the papers. Some overclock that you will try increasing the watts, a possible ssd raid 0 you may build adding watts, some dvds on the fly recording, you may go over the limit.

850 watts 80+ gold recommended any some luck buying the staff from any corporation.

Ps: I also have the PSU connected to the UPS becouse for some drops is not always responsible the PSU.

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
LOL 300w for that videocard... 550 ti is below 150w. Max recorded power for that card is 146.

If you PSU is in good order, you will be ok

G

InvalidError

Titan

A PSU compliant with the ATX 2.2 spec will not "drop under 9V" since this would be 20% out of ATX 2.2 spec which only allow a 5% deviation on 12V rails. The PSU's UVLO should trip long before 12V rails drop below 10V and shut the computer off.

satyamdubey

Distinguished

Absolutely...a 400-450 watt psu with good efficiency will definitely do the job. A 460 watt psu with 70 % efficiency would give 322 watts peak load and that is enough to power up the system a 400 watt with 70% efficiency would mean 280 watts only on load and that would mean pushing the system to its limit.
efficiency is important

InvalidError

Titan

The power rating on PSUs is for the OUTPUT side.

A real 400W PSU with 50% efficiency will still deliver 400W but use 800W measured at the wall to do so while a 80% efficient one would use 500W and a 90% efficient one would use 450W.

Komomu

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009

The 460W psu is more than enough to power that, you don't need to go overkill with any 850W psu

G

You are right i did change my post also he took new cpu not card....

Ps: my point was the theory dosen't always comes with reallity so why someone to risk and worry? I'm pretty sure the kid that took the 650 watts PSU never Believed to find himslef in Tom's Hardware with this problem, I also Believe he checked before he buy the new, even i didn't expected! So i said start from the TOP the psu witch is the MOST importand and get into the 850 80+ gold Territory.

PS2 I also advise to anyone to take a Surge Protector emi rfi filter becouse you never know.... My UPS also normilizes the low peaks that my Surge protector can handle.

satyamdubey

Distinguished

I stand corrected.. OP, what invalid's written here is the accurate way of understanding Switched mode psu's we all use...thanks invalid :)