Hi all,
I just got my new computer up and running from Dell. XP Professional with
all their garbage included, lol.
I note that it does not matter if I toggle the 'Hide Icons' block on or off,
the Icons do not hide.
I have the ones that always stay and if something is opened or notifies, it
appears in the Icon task bar area, but they are always in full view.
Each Icon's behavior is set to Hide when not in use.
The Task Bar does not even change configuration (ie: there is never the left
indicating arrow circle) between checking hidden or not hidden.
Is there something I can check on, or is there a fix that any one knows about?

Many thanks.

Hi,

It takes some time for Windows to determine the inactive period of a icon
and then hide it. More info here:

Why don't my Notification Area icons show or why do they disappear?

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Lexus" <Lexus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I just got my new computer up and running from Dell. XP Professional with
> all their garbage included, lol.
> I note that it does not matter if I toggle the 'Hide Icons' block on or
> off,
> the Icons do not hide.
> I have the ones that always stay and if something is opened or notifies,
> it
> appears in the Icon task bar area, but they are always in full view.
> Each Icon's behavior is set to Hide when not in use.
> The Task Bar does not even change configuration (ie: there is never the
> left
> indicating arrow circle) between checking hidden or not hidden.
> Is there something I can check on, or is there a fix that any one knows
> about?
>
> Many thanks.

Thanks for the links.
I noted several things that I would like comments on pls.
1) I am the only user and did not set up a password, so my system
automatically signs on from the Welcome screen to the desktop - is this a
problem?
2) While my 'Hide Icon' tabs are not greyed out, Kelly has a fix for that
which I looked at -- the reg file entry for 'EnableAutoTray' shows DWord 1,
my registry shows the value as 0. Is this the problem even though my tabs
are not greyed out?

Thanks again.

"Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It takes some time for Windows to determine the inactive period of a icon
> and then hide it. More info here:
>
> Why don't my Notification Area icons show or why do they disappear?
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Lexus" <Lexus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> > I just got my new computer up and running from Dell. XP Professional with
> > all their garbage included, lol.
> > I note that it does not matter if I toggle the 'Hide Icons' block on or
> > off,
> > the Icons do not hide.
> > I have the ones that always stay and if something is opened or notifies,
> > it
> > appears in the Icon task bar area, but they are always in full view.
> > Each Icon's behavior is set to Hide when not in use.
> > The Task Bar does not even change configuration (ie: there is never the
> > left
> > indicating arrow circle) between checking hidden or not hidden.
> > Is there something I can check on, or is there a fix that any one knows
> > about?
> >
> > Many thanks.

kelly

The information provided from Anando, gave you the info needed. A quick
recap:

For some users, setting the very first icon to Always Hide, restores the
arrow (chevron).
--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

> Thanks for the links.
> I noted several things that I would like comments on pls.
> 1) I am the only user and did not set up a password, so my system
> automatically signs on from the Welcome screen to the desktop - is this a
> problem?
> 2) While my 'Hide Icon' tabs are not greyed out, Kelly has a fix for that
> which I looked at -- the reg file entry for 'EnableAutoTray' shows DWord
> 1,
> my registry shows the value as 0. Is this the problem even though my tabs
> are not greyed out?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It takes some time for Windows to determine the inactive period of a icon
>> and then hide it. More info here:
>>
>> Why don't my Notification Area icons show or why do they disappear?
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "Lexus" <Lexus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi all,
>> > I just got my new computer up and running from Dell. XP Professional
>> > with
>> > all their garbage included, lol.
>> > I note that it does not matter if I toggle the 'Hide Icons' block on or
>> > off,
>> > the Icons do not hide.
>> > I have the ones that always stay and if something is opened or
>> > notifies,
>> > it
>> > appears in the Icon task bar area, but they are always in full view.
>> > Each Icon's behavior is set to Hide when not in use.
>> > The Task Bar does not even change configuration (ie: there is never the
>> > left
>> > indicating arrow circle) between checking hidden or not hidden.
>> > Is there something I can check on, or is there a fix that any one knows
>> > about?
>> >
>> > Many thanks.

Kelly thank you very much for your response. My first Icon is already set to
always hide, but no luck in restoring the arrow (chevron).
So before I start running some of your other fixes, could you pls comment
regarding the 2 items that I mentioned to Anando.
1. Should I create a passworded user rather than my current no password? If
that does not help, how can I take the password out?
2. Although my hide icon block is not greyed out (conditions for 1 of your
registry fixes), my registry entry for EnableAutoTray is set to DWord 0.
Should I set this to 1?

Many thanks again.

"Kelly" wrote:

> The information provided from Anando, gave you the info needed. A quick
> recap:
>
> For some users, setting the very first icon to Always Hide, restores the
> arrow (chevron).
> --
> All the Best,
> Kelly
>
> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>
> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
>

> "Lexus" <Lexus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the links.
> > I noted several things that I would like comments on pls.
> > 1) I am the only user and did not set up a password, so my system
> > automatically signs on from the Welcome screen to the desktop - is this a
> > problem?
> > 2) While my 'Hide Icon' tabs are not greyed out, Kelly has a fix for that
> > which I looked at -- the reg file entry for 'EnableAutoTray' shows DWord
> > 1,
> > my registry shows the value as 0. Is this the problem even though my tabs
> > are not greyed out?
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> It takes some time for Windows to determine the inactive period of a icon
> >> and then hide it. More info here:
> >>
> >> Why don't my Notification Area icons show or why do they disappear?
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Anando
> >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> >> http://www.mvps.org
> >>
> >> Folder customizations
> >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
> >>
> >> Protect your PC!
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >>

> >> "Lexus" <Lexus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi,

You dont need to create a passworded user account. You can try setting the
DWORD to 1 and see what happens.