Sign in with
Your question

Advice on budget htpc build

Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2012 8:07:12 AM

ASRock A55M-HVS FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$55.99

Hello everyone I am trying to put together a budget htpc build I just want to run Ubuntu with xbmc and connect to my nas and play my bluerays. I would like to browse the net and maybe some YouTube videos as well. Also might throw in an emulator with some roms. But that is it. Any advice on this build or recommendations. I want to keep this as a cheap build because I don't know how much I will use it yet(never had a htpc) but let me know what you think?

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBXL
$25.99

AMD A6-3500 Llano 2.1GHz (2.4GHz Max Turbo) Socket FM1 65W Triple-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD ...
$79.99

Patriot Torqx 2 PT232GS25SSDR 2.5" 32GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$15.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$59.99

APEX DM-387 Black Steel Micro ATX Media Center / Slim HTPC Computer Case w/ ATX12V Flex 275W Power Supply
$49.99
a b À AMD
April 5, 2012 4:27:24 PM

Looks workable, I might suggest an HDD just for data storage but you can always add that/those if needed.
April 5, 2012 5:25:10 PM

First - I wouldn't get a 32GB as your only storage device, that will barely hold a Windows installation. Second, a lot of what Apex makes is garbage, and that PSU is likely to blow up in your face. The Llano will be just fine for what you need it to do but I'd definitely look at a better case and PSU suggestion, something like this:

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
April 5, 2012 5:29:04 PM

Yea I will run Linux(Ubuntu) and I was gonna stream the movies over my network from my main pc it has 2tb of data storage an I might add 2 more in raid
April 5, 2012 5:39:37 PM

Your hardware choices look fine for your budget. The SSD should be plenty for an Ubuntu install. One thing I'd make sure is that you're connecting this in a way that can get a low latency high bandwidth connection. I know how bad it sucks to try to stream to an area with poor wireless coverage - you won't be watching anything for long. Ethernet is preferable, but most houses aren't wired with CAT5(e). If you can't manage a good wireless signal there, you can try power line networking, but the main take away from this is that your network connection is critical for streaming (especially Blu-Ray).
a b À AMD
April 5, 2012 6:03:51 PM

It's not a computer, but I thought I'd mention a product I use:

Western Digital TV LIVE HUB
(the one without the hard drive is a lot cheaper and you can add your own USB drive later if you want. The WD Elements USB drive turns ON and OFF with these devices which is handy.)

It's about $200 and has a 1TB 2.5" hard drive. You can play videos from the hard drive (even BluRay and DVD ISO images), an attached USB drive or network drive.

I also use it for Netflix and even Youtube.

I was originally going to build an HTPC but went this way instead and I love this device.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/homeentertainment/mediap...
April 5, 2012 6:04:39 PM

Yea I will be using a wired connection. My router happens to be behind my main tv so I can have a wired connection. My main concern is the hardware choice for Ubuntu. Will it work well, I also am wondering if I can just map drive in Ubuntu to my win 7 pc or will i need samba or something. Also I love the recomendation for the case, but I would like one with the integrated psu because they tend to be cheaper. It doesn't have to necessarily be a htpc case, but it shouldn't look out of place by my tv.
April 5, 2012 6:06:41 PM

Perfectly fine for domestic / home use. But like someone say before, you can get another low wattage psu taking in mind the brand.
I personally dont know APEX quality xD
April 5, 2012 6:24:27 PM

Yea I don't know either I just know it didn't have to many bad reviews on newegg, but I'm use to building desktops with corsair,cougar, and other decent psu. So anyone that is running a htpc case or micro atx case let me know your experiences.
April 6, 2012 5:16:56 AM

I'm using this case for my HTPC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Obviously, it's a cheapo power supply, but it hasn't given me any trouble in almost a year. I'd get another Apex with a power supply without hesitation. If the PSU goes, I'll replace it, but I'm not so paranoid that I won't use it.

For SSDs, there are plenty of deals on 64 gb drives for around $60. I'd rather do that than get a 32.

I'm sure the AMD chip is fine, but (and I know it makes me sound like an intel fanboy, and I'm not) I'd go with a sandy bridge pentium for the money. The onboard gpu is weaker than the amd, but it's plenty to do 1080p, and the cpu is much better. Either get the job done, but I think you get more for your money with intel right now.
!