Kelly, I'd like standby back, please (used disablestandby...

Yesterday I disabled the standby function because my monitor hasn't
been "waking up" since I installed some security updates (haven't yet
put in SP2). Too often I've had to hard boot when I've clicked
standby, but the system wakes up fine if it puts itself to sleep. In
the past there might be a wake-up problem every month or so, cured by
reinstalling video drivers. OTOH, in the past there was also a
mini-dump file, and I haven't seen any of those recently.

To keep myself from putting the system manually on standby I used
disablestandby.reg from Kelly's tweak page. Standby was grayed out in
the "Turn off Computer" area and entirely missing in Control Panel\
Power Management.. It occurred to me this morning that I didn't have a
re-enable file, nor can I find one in KK. Restore didn't cure the
situation.

I only want Standby to go away for a while, not permanently. The idea
was that once I did install SP2, then perhaps everything would
function as it should. Could someone please tell me how to put things
back to normal?

Thank you.

Maureen--

Take a look at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm #204
Right--Restore Power Options. Try this and see if it returns. There ought
to be a solution to your working around with the hard button also. Try
searching some power option sites.

Best,

Chad Harris

_______________________________________

"Maureen Goldman" <inkslinger@FOGsunshine.net> wrote in message
Yesterday I disabled the standby function because my monitor hasn't
been "waking up" since I installed some security updates (haven't yet
put in SP2). Too often I've had to hard boot when I've clicked
standby, but the system wakes up fine if it puts itself to sleep. In
the past there might be a wake-up problem every month or so, cured by
reinstalling video drivers. OTOH, in the past there was also a
mini-dump file, and I haven't seen any of those recently.

To keep myself from putting the system manually on standby I used
disablestandby.reg from Kelly's tweak page. Standby was grayed out in
the "Turn off Computer" area and entirely missing in Control Panel\
Power Management.. It occurred to me this morning that I didn't have a
re-enable file, nor can I find one in KK. Restore didn't cure the
situation.

I only want Standby to go away for a while, not permanently. The idea
was that once I did install SP2, then perhaps everything would
function as it should. Could someone please tell me how to put things
back to normal?

Thank you.

>"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Maureen--
>Take a look at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm #204
>Right--Restore Power Options. Try this and see if it returns. There ought
>to be a solution to your working around with the hard button also. Try
>searching some power option sites.

Thanks for your input.
I had already tried the line #204 entry, powercfgrestore.reg. No
change, and it doesn't really deal with the same part of the registry
(looked at both in notepad).

However, although I wasn't really crazy about doing this, I've just
managed to get standby again by going into the registry and deleting
the key changed by disablestandby.reg... "just" as in 10 minutes ago.
After rebooting, Standby had returned to Control Panel:power Options
and was no longer greyed out in the Turn Off Computer area. I put the
computer into standby, moved the mouse a couple minutes later and it
came out of standby. Tentatively... whew!

Checked the registry, and there's a new key - the original, I'm
guessing, so it seems as though the situation is self-repairing.

Maureen

Have you tried system restore?

"Maureen Goldman" <inkslinger@FOGsunshine.net> wrote in message
> Yesterday I disabled the standby function because my monitor hasn't
> been "waking up" since I installed some security updates (haven't yet
> put in SP2). Too often I've had to hard boot when I've clicked
> standby, but the system wakes up fine if it puts itself to sleep. In
> the past there might be a wake-up problem every month or so, cured by
> reinstalling video drivers. OTOH, in the past there was also a
> mini-dump file, and I haven't seen any of those recently.
>
> To keep myself from putting the system manually on standby I used
> disablestandby.reg from Kelly's tweak page. Standby was grayed out in
> the "Turn off Computer" area and entirely missing in Control Panel\
> Power Management.. It occurred to me this morning that I didn't have a
> re-enable file, nor can I find one in KK. Restore didn't cure the
> situation.
>
> I only want Standby to go away for a while, not permanently. The idea
> was that once I did install SP2, then perhaps everything would
> function as it should. Could someone please tell me how to put things
> back to normal?
>
> Thank you.

kelly

Hi Maureen,

Haven't seen you around much. Those changes appear here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls
Folder\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies\0

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"Maureen Goldman" <inkslinger@FOGsunshine.net> wrote in message
> Yesterday I disabled the standby function because my monitor hasn't
> been "waking up" since I installed some security updates (haven't yet
> put in SP2). Too often I've had to hard boot when I've clicked
> standby, but the system wakes up fine if it puts itself to sleep. In
> the past there might be a wake-up problem every month or so, cured by
> reinstalling video drivers. OTOH, in the past there was also a
> mini-dump file, and I haven't seen any of those recently.
>
> To keep myself from putting the system manually on standby I used
> disablestandby.reg from Kelly's tweak page. Standby was grayed out in
> the "Turn off Computer" area and entirely missing in Control Panel\
> Power Management.. It occurred to me this morning that I didn't have a
> re-enable file, nor can I find one in KK. Restore didn't cure the
> situation.
>
> I only want Standby to go away for a while, not permanently. The idea
> was that once I did install SP2, then perhaps everything would
> function as it should. Could someone please tell me how to put things
> back to normal?
>
> Thank you.

Marueen--

Thanks for the followup. It always helps to know how someone solved the
problem. I notice when you have a problem you hang in there and are
determined to solve it one way or another. I appreciate the tip from Kelly
on changes at::

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls
Folder\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies\0

I also noticed in trying to fix an SFC (System File Checker) that won't run
no matter what I do with all its registry keys and values in trying to make
it point to my hard drive rather than a CD to run with SP2 that there are
these. Kelly and others are able to context these registry keys:

At HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

I noticed these values that have something to do with the power scheme:

HibernationPreviouslyEnabled
PowerdownAfterShutdown
ShutdownwithoutLogon

I only wish there were a source that contexted keys and values in a
completely meaningful way besides the sites and books out there I've found.
I have talked to a number of developers on this who agree the Registry could
be much better organized with values named in a more cohesive user-friendly
fashion.

I known MSFT could have organized the registry much more logically, but in
the beginning of Windows--there probably wasn't that much registry--and it's
my idea that the registry became like a quilt put together piece by piece by
a couple thousand poorly related groups who often didn't consult each other.
Kelly, Doug Knox, David Candy and several others have the great and
valuable talent for pulling together multiple keys or subkeys and their
values and knowing where to find them to get an end result.

The problems continue to be for me and for others that:

1) a lot of values just aren't named intuitively--or they aren't named at
all--"Pretty path" is a great example of a what the hell is that value
supposed to be for. Without some inside baseball or the willingness to take
a test machine and time for a lot of trial and error, I don't know how you
can master these.

2) Many values have the exact same name at a different subkey which raises
the question why and which does what. So while there may not be
duplication, and I bet there is functionality wise, there seems to be.

3) There also seems to be no place to learn how to modify binary data. I
know David Candy and others do this well and often, but I'm not sure if
there is a place and way to learn it.

4) I don't think it's always clear with some reg values whether 1=enable and
0=disable as a consistent rule of thumb, and there's always the great
Redmond enable the disable or disable the enable.