Sign in with
Your question

What do i do if i seen a spark inside my computer and now it wont turn on

Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2012 11:09:24 AM

Hello,
i took my emachine w3653(windows 7) apart because the fan was horribly loud and i wanted to clean it to see if it would help but i didnt put the outside cover metal back on and when i plugged in the power cord to see if it was any quieter before i put it back together and i noticed a spark inside it and now when i press the power button it doesnt turn on and i cant hear a sound in it or see any lights on. Any help???
April 5, 2012 11:50:34 AM

Sounds like your motherboard got burnt or your power supply went bad?
m
l
April 5, 2012 11:55:48 AM

Im thinking that it was my power supply that went bad because my computer receives no power whatsoever. i also didn't smell anything that might indicate burning.
m
l
Related resources
April 5, 2012 1:16:34 PM

Could be MB or PSU, or both.
Were did the spark occur? What did you do, ie just blow out the dust.
Possible that you had a loose connection that arced over. But this arc may have damaged either, or both. emachines are NOT noted for using a "quality" PSU.
When you first turn on the computer, do any of the fans try to start turning?

You might try a known good PSU.
m
l
April 5, 2012 1:32:35 PM

The spark occurred on the opposite side of the MB where its just metal and not near the PSU, I unplugged it asap and waited about 5 minutes and then retried but nothing happened. when I first press the power button no fans start to move.
m
l
April 5, 2012 3:09:25 PM

edoonube said:
The spark occurred on the opposite side of the MB where its just metal and not near the PSU, I unplugged it asap and waited about 5 minutes and then retried but nothing happened. when I first press the power button no fans start to move.

I just wanna confirm, it was on the side of the MB, not near PSU but did it come from the board?
m
l
April 5, 2012 3:22:54 PM

Sequence of Pwr on.
1) you press the power on button.
2) this sends a signal from the MB to the PSU to power on
3) the PSU starts to power on, but will ONLY be ON for a very short time UNLESS
4) the MB then sends a signal to the PSU that it is OK to stay on.

At step 3 the Fans will get a very short burst of the +12 V, UNLess the OK signal tells it to stay on. IF No power to Fans (that is they do not even try to turn the problem is:
A) PSU defective
B) Power button is defective
C) the MB is NOT providing the initial power on cmd to the PSU and step 4 will never occur.

Lower left side of MB is where the Power on, reset, HDD lite connect to the MB from the Case.
m
l
April 5, 2012 5:00:58 PM

XmortisX said:
I just wanna confirm, it was on the side of the MB, not near PSU but did it come from the board?

yes it came from the board
m
l
April 6, 2012 12:03:07 AM

RetiredChief said:
Sequence of Pwr on.
1) you press the power on button.
2) this sends a signal from the MB to the PSU to power on
3) the PSU starts to power on, but will ONLY be ON for a very short time UNLESS
4) the MB then sends a signal to the PSU that it is OK to stay on.

At step 3 the Fans will get a very short burst of the +12 V, UNLess the OK signal tells it to stay on. IF No power to Fans (that is they do not even try to turn the problem is:
A) PSU defective
B) Power button is defective
C) the MB is NOT providing the initial power on cmd to the PSU and step 4 will never occur.

Lower left side of MB is where the Power on, reset, HDD lite connect to the MB from the Case.

nice.
m
l
April 6, 2012 1:18:36 AM

If your mobo is dead, buy a new emachine.
m
l
April 7, 2012 6:15:11 AM

im gonna replace the psu and see what happens
m
l
!