What do i do if i seen a spark inside my computer and now it wont turn on

edoonube

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Hello,
i took my emachine w3653(windows 7) apart because the fan was horribly loud and i wanted to clean it to see if it would help but i didnt put the outside cover metal back on and when i plugged in the power cord to see if it was any quieter before i put it back together and i noticed a spark inside it and now when i press the power button it doesnt turn on and i cant hear a sound in it or see any lights on. Any help???

edoonube

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Im thinking that it was my power supply that went bad because my computer receives no power whatsoever. i also didn't smell anything that might indicate burning.

Could be MB or PSU, or both.
Were did the spark occur? What did you do, ie just blow out the dust.
Possible that you had a loose connection that arced over. But this arc may have damaged either, or both. emachines are NOT noted for using a "quality" PSU.
When you first turn on the computer, do any of the fans try to start turning?

You might try a known good PSU.

edoonube

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
The spark occurred on the opposite side of the MB where its just metal and not near the PSU, I unplugged it asap and waited about 5 minutes and then retried but nothing happened. when I first press the power button no fans start to move.

XmortisX

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

I just wanna confirm, it was on the side of the MB, not near PSU but did it come from the board?

Sequence of Pwr on.
1) you press the power on button.
2) this sends a signal from the MB to the PSU to power on
3) the PSU starts to power on, but will ONLY be ON for a very short time UNLESS
4) the MB then sends a signal to the PSU that it is OK to stay on.

At step 3 the Fans will get a very short burst of the +12 V, UNLess the OK signal tells it to stay on. IF No power to Fans (that is they do not even try to turn the problem is:
A) PSU defective
B) Power button is defective
C) the MB is NOT providing the initial power on cmd to the PSU and step 4 will never occur.

Lower left side of MB is where the Power on, reset, HDD lite connect to the MB from the Case.

nice.