Sign in with
Your question

Sim City 4 Help!!

Last response: in Systems
April 5, 2012 11:30:57 AM

Hello, I recently had an Acer Aspire laptop, I used it for everything else, but as far as sim city 4, it blew my motherboard twice. I'm aware of graphics cards and all that, but can someone tell me what laptops in today's market, that I can go out and buy that will run this game smoothly and not blow my motherboard? Will an I-5 do? 4gb ram 8 gb ram? What kind of a graphics card? What kind of processor, any responses are grateful!

More about : sim city

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2012 3:24:49 PM

Well, here are the system requirements for SIM CITY 4

Recommended System Requirements

CPU: 1 GHz or faster
RAM: 256 MB or more
Video: 32 MB or greater supported Direct 3D video card
In more detail: http://www.simprograms.com/simcity/simcity-4/simcity-4-...

They really aren't all that high. Any dual core laptop with integrated or dedicated graphics will be just fine. I think you would struggle to even buy a laptop with specs as low as the recommended ones these days.

Also just to note: There's also no way the game should "blow your motherboard" either. If it wont run it, it just simply wont run, it shouldn't do any damage, certainly not like this.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2012 3:26:05 PM

What makes you sure that this game is what was breaking your laptop motherboards?

I would assume that this laptop

http://tinyurl.com/88tbnzp

or this

http://tinyurl.com/6pzvf9z

would do well enough.

However, I do wonder if the problem is not the game, but instead something environmental.

If it is the case that your laptop was overheating because of high temperatures it may be the case that if you use some different laptop in the same place or in the same way that it will have the same problem.

Laptops cases aren't like good desktop cases with tons of airflow and cool operation, they heat up a lot. The more power behind it the more heat it makes.

What is the environment like where you use your laptop to play games?

Is it hot? Is it dusty?

AdrianPerry said:
They really aren't all that high. Any dual core laptop with integrated or dedicated graphics will be just fine. I think you would struggle to even buy a laptop with specs as low as the recommended ones these days.

Actually, if you look up people on the internet talking about the game, they talk about their laptops being crushed by all the resources this game consumes.

You may be able to load the game with those specs, but when the city size increases it would probably bog down so as to be unplayable.

If someone wants a good experience with a high city size, I would suggest going well above the minimum specs based on what people have been saying.

In any event, per the above I also have a hard time believing it is entirely the game's fault.
Related resources
April 5, 2012 3:37:33 PM

I have this game, and it will run on any modern day notebook or desktop computer like a champ. The game is 9 years old.

and the "blowing your motherboard", i dont know what SimCity would have to do with that..
a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2012 3:40:26 PM

Quote:
blowing your motherboard

lol, the only way a program / game would do that : your computer is overheating. Therefore, it's not the game that did that, it's you laptop is junk.... :pt1cable: 

Maybe, just maybe it has something to do with the brand
April 12, 2012 7:17:46 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I indeed think it was the game or just acer was junk. I also had an acer desktop, one from 2007, and the same thing happened, but it was my carelessness buying a peice of junk really haha. I'm much more computer swavy now.

Anyhow I do indeed intend on getting a computer with an I-5 processor and at least 6 or 8 gb ram.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 12, 2012 8:06:57 AM

Fill out the build advice template, make sure to list your budget and where you are buying the components from and we'll see what we can come up with :)  might be best to start a new thread though :) 

Build advice template here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261222-13-build-adv...
!