Compatibility Check of Peripherals & Components

WDakhane

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
I want to know whether the following components and peripherals are compatible with each other before customizing.
Also,whether I would be requiring additional sata cables for attaching DRW, 3 to 4 pin or vice versa connectors for fans.
I would be using a NZXT Sentry 2 Touch Screen fan controller so, I will probably be using 5 fans [3 intake + 2 (Top) exhaust].

1]Asus NVIDIA GeForce EN210 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card

2]ASUS P8H61-M LX Motherboard

3]Intel 3.3 GHz FCLGA1155 Core i3 2120 Processor

4]WD Caviar Blue 500 GB HDD Internal Hard Drive (WD5000AAKX)

5]Asus DRW-24B3ST Internal Optical Drive

6]Corsair XMS3 4GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz (CMX4GX3M1A1333C9)

7]Corsair Carbide Series 300R

8]Corsair VS450 450 Watts PSU [for Asian market only]

9]Cooler Master BC 140 mm Blue LED Fan Cooler + CM xtraflo 120mm Blue + CM xtraflo 120mm Green + 2 CM Standard 120mm fans

10]Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooler

11]Asus 18.5inch LED Monitor (VS197D)

12]Belkin Premium Wireless Combo C400 (F5Z0320au)

Solution
Hmm, you may run out of available power connections with that psu. It only has 4 peripheral connectors. Do you really need to connect 5 fans? And if your optical drive doesn't come with a sata cable then, yes, you will need to get one. If you're not doing any gfx related stuff, why get a gpu at all? As for zorin os, I have no idea if it's compatible at all.

On a side note, you may want to read up on the meaning of 'dude'. Some people object to being called that and view it as an insult, so to start out a post with "Dude!!!!" is not going to win you many friends. Also you never said what your rig is going to be used for and a great number of requests here are usually gaming related. We're not mind reader you know. But, hope this helps...

WDakhane

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Dude!!!

What is with you gamers man!
I'm a programmer and a student,so, for now I only require what is essential for me n thats it.
So,Please any help would be appreciated!

Hi :)

The attitude wont get you much help here....

So if no games why are you buying a graphics card at all ??

There are many cheaper motherboards with built in graphics.... even the one you quoted has built in graphics... so no card needed...

You also forgot an Operating system...

All the best Brett :)

WDakhane

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Hey hey got me wrong, I was just telling it n nothing wrong intended :) :ange:
Now,please other stuff aside.
I really want help in this topic from you or anybody.

I know the CPU as well as Mobo has Intel HD Graphics 2000 but still for a bit more performance with really really basic graphics,
I'm purchasing it.
I would be installing Zorin OS 6 64-bit as it is said it is good for transitioners from windows to linux,hence.
If it is not compatible I would purchase Windows 7 HB 64-bit.

Now the main thing, I just want to know whether I would be needing any additional 3 to 4 pin fan connectors and any additional sata cables for DRW as I've heard it that this DRW doesn't comes with the cable,so...

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hmm, you may run out of available power connections with that psu. It only has 4 peripheral connectors. Do you really need to connect 5 fans? And if your optical drive doesn't come with a sata cable then, yes, you will need to get one. If you're not doing any gfx related stuff, why get a gpu at all? As for zorin os, I have no idea if it's compatible at all.

On a side note, you may want to read up on the meaning of 'dude'. Some people object to being called that and view it as an insult, so to start out a post with "Dude!!!!" is not going to win you many friends. Also you never said what your rig is going to be used for and a great number of requests here are usually gaming related. We're not mind reader you know. But, hope this helps, and good luck with your build.

Solution

WDakhane

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Ok,so I'll just install 3 fans then,will those many be ok?
one for front panel and 2 for side panels.
and for gpu... will Intel HD Graphics 2000 which is integrated in the core i3 CPU be sufficient for modern games like COD MW3,Battlefield 3,etc. I mean just enough to be able to play at min levels or the stated GPU would be better, I'm just installing it for name sake thats it else I wouldn't?

So an suggestions about 3 to 4 pin fan connectors for atleast 2 or 3 fans?
And is there any way to add splitters on PSU for 1 to 2 power extensions if needed?
I don't know anything about PSU,hence asking.

And thank you for stating the meaning of "dude" I didn't really know,offcourse I didn't want to offend anyone. I Respect everyone!
Any kind of help appreciated.
thank you.

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I understand you didn't wish to offend which is why I thought I'd point out that not everyone likes that term. But getting back to your pc. You could always use power splitters to connect all those fans (they don't draw alot of power) but having too many fans can actually be counter-productive to cooling your rig. Too many fans can stall the airflow so it just swirls around inside your rig and doesn't exhaust the hot air, which is why I asked if you really needed that many.

Edit: Some of the fans you will be able to connect to your motherboard, up to 3 i think, and the mobo, will handle the speed as required. Speed up as system gets hotter, slow down when it not under load. As for the games, it's a pretty weak gpu for those games you mentioned, probably wouldn't be much better than the integrated gpu.

WDakhane

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
So,which type of power splitters would I be needing to connect aforementioned fans,any specific brand?
I looked at the Specs of fans and I'm confused with 3 pin ones and 4 pin ones, thats why I asked about 3 to 4 pin connectors. Also, I think I might install NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller. See,the thing is I want my Cabinet to look exciting from exterior point of view.
So,you tell what should I do.
As you said about the exhaust problem which might occur, so, I thought why not install a 140mm top exhaust fan? wouldn't that be enough [Rear 120mm + Top 140mm] & [Front 120mm intake + side 2x 120mm intake]?

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Fan controller is a good idea and the fans should connect straight to it, and you're right, they do add alittle more pizazz to your system. As for splitters, they're pretty generic, unlike gpu I/O adapters, they're just wires with different plugs on each end. No chips involved with them. As for type, that really depends on the type of connection of your fan, and the type of connection on your fan controller.

WDakhane

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Oh I see!
So I think I should get the following
1]SATA Cable for DRW
2]Power Splitters to attach 4 fans
3]A Fan Controller

And I would check the performance of some games on integrated graphics, if I'm satisfactory I'll not purchase any and if not which GPU would you suggest in 80$ to 100$ range?

Also,in near future I would be adding an additional 500GB HDD so, it can be done,right? if yes,would I be able to do a RAID 0 config.? given I would buy a RAID controller.

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I would wait until you get the fans and optical drive before buying cables and splitters. You may not need them. Some mobos and optical drives come with them included. As for the fans, I have 3 fans on my rig, 1 front intake, 1 side intake, 1 rear exhaust. The front and rear fans connect directly to my mobo and the side fan connect to my lian li fan controller, none needed splitters or adapters. As for RAID, I'd have to read up on that as I've never set one up, although if you go with the W7 Ulitmate edition I believe you can set up RAID with out the need for a controller. Re the gpu, if needed you could look at something like this >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150560 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121442 neither of which will run games like bf3 on ultra but will be better than the integrated gfx. Good luck.

WDakhane

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Ok,so anyways I will be purchasing the items from list and see if any fans need cables splitters or extensions,etc after which I could decide whether to buy it.

Re.. RAID, I would see some blogs,reviews & forums which might clear my doubts.
Thank you very much for your help.
I appreciate it.